We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Phlux's Quick Mescaline Hcl Recrystallization tek. Options

Kash
#41 Posted : 8/8/2013 6:50:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

^^ word ^^

Mescaline hcl is very soluble in water even mixed with other solvents. Wink

It is good to use a slightly soluble mesc solvent and an insoluble mesc solvent for purification. I did some solubility tests a while back with acetone, 99% IPA, and methanol, and if I remember right the acetone and IPA mix made a good solvent for recrystallizing mesc hcl. With a little heat it dissolved and upon cooling for a few days clean crystals precipitated.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Orion
#42 Posted : 9/15/2013 2:37:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Edited for being a dumbass... it's not that complicated Razz
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Kash
#43 Posted : 9/18/2013 5:45:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well what I think phlux is getting at is that if one were to take some mesc hcl that was ideally washed with MEK and that still ended up some sandy off-white looking crystals, they could basically re-x them in h2o/acetone that supposedly will precipitate out non-mesc solids that can be discarded, leaving the goodies dissolved. Evaporating that gives a purer product and the process can be repeated.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

the white rabbit
#44 Posted : 10/9/2013 9:06:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Im so jealous lol

oakleyframer
#45 Posted : 3/31/2014 11:37:00 PM

A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE, AN INCREDIBLE THING TO LOSE

Sorry to drag this post up again but Im new to mescalin extracts and have some dirty ass mesc I need to wash, are you saying once you've dissolved the dirty mesc hcl in water and added a load of acetone stirred, mixed together etc you then have to evaporate what looks in the picture like the best part of a pint of acetone?!? Or can I expect the acetone and hcl water to split into two layers after shaking so you can then seperate the clean mesc hcl for evaporating?
A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE, AN INCREDIBLE THING TO LOSE.

Kash
#46 Posted : 4/1/2014 3:27:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

oakleyframer wrote:
Or can I expect the acetone and hcl water to split into two layers after shaking so you can then seperate the clean mesc hcl for evaporating?

Water and acetone form an azeotrope, meaning they mix completely, so no.

With this purification technique I believe that you dissolve the mesc in water, then add acetone, which apparently causes impurities to precipitate out, which can then be filtered out and seperated from your solution. That solution is then evaporated on a dish to give a cleaner product. Thats my take on it anyways, never used it, and havent heard much about how effective it is, or how much product is actually lost in the process. A friend prefers other methods for purifying.

Orion
#47 Posted : 7/29/2017 1:34:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I come back to this sometimes and consider it, then never end up doing it another way for fear of pain in the butt times. I've been told the original post makes sense and I thought about it.

If mescaline is the most soluble alkaloid in water, I guess it will be the easiest to keep it dissolved in acetone / water solution, even when the ratio of water is low and the acetone is high ? I assume impurities have no room to remain dissolved and thus precipitate out.

Carrierwave had the opposite happen, where the mescaline itself precipitated. Does that mean perhaps mescaline itself can no longer remain dissolved when there is too much acetone?

Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

DrSeltsam
#48 Posted : 8/9/2017 1:09:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you dissolve the Mesc HCl in water and add enough acetone the mesc HCl will crash out. This is essentially a dual solvent recrystallisation.

The problem with the water acetone method is, in my humble opinion, that the mesc HCl is crashing out too fast and thus the crystals will have a lot of impurities trappend within them. If you do it, you might consider sending a sample of your results to endlessness for testing.

It is interesting that kash has done a recrystallisation with an acetone and IPA mix. I tried the putting the mesc HCl in boiling acetone and adding IPA to get it into solution. I went to a ratio of acetone:IPA 5:1 but I did not manage to get the mesc HCl into solution in any significant quantities. I guess that one could try dissolving in boiling IPA and adding acetone later. In the literature you find that you can directly recrystallise from ethanol - so IPA should work as well.

DrSeltsam
#49 Posted : 8/29/2017 12:19:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This topic really haunts me. I onces put the HCl in boiling aceton and added water drop wise to get it into solution. It wouldn't dissolve in any meaningful quantities. Some of the brownish impurities went into the solution though coloring the acetone. After putting the flask in the freezer for a day I had few crystals at the wall.

There is one thing that is interesting: usually i would expect the HCl to crash out but the tek should look like this:
Dissolve the raw extract in a minimum of boiling water and let cool to 50 degree centigrade.
Add boiling acetone.
Cool gradually until no more mescaline HCl crystallizes any more.

One would to this hot to keep the mescaline HCl from quickly crashing out to trap as few impurities as possible.

Any other thoughts on this?

PREV123