We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT»
Is DMT a 5ht3 agonist? Options

ShamensStamen
#41 Posted : 7/23/2017 2:13:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Actually, Moclobemide - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moclobemide - is a pharmaceutical reversible MAO-A inhibitor (RIMA), not an MAO-B inhibitor, though it's said in larger dosages it can also partially inhibit MAO-B as well, like the Harmalas, but also like the Harmalas, does not interact with Tyramine. As for purging from DMT with Moclobemide, it was definitely Adrenaline-related, and the body sensations/body load/intensity, especially in my head, which is what caused me to vomit with Moclobemide, but there were no stomach issues what so ever.

And i just say if you like the vomiting and feel it does you good, keep it, if you don't like the nausea/vomiting, find a way around it. Do what feels right, and is best, for you. Like i said, this stuff can still be just as powerful/healing/beneficial/cleansing/spiritual/medicinal/therapeutic, etc, without the vomiting.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

nen888
#42 Posted : 7/23/2017 2:21:38 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

apologies, you're right..i meant A..in general i meant harmalas have a wider a spectrum of A and B activity, but I'll have to look that up more as I'm purely going by memory here..their actions are not entirely equivalent is what i meant

ShamensStamen
#43 Posted : 7/23/2017 2:24:51 AM
DMT-Nexus member

It's understandable lol. But yeah, because the MAO inhibition from Harmalas and Moclobemide are reversible, and they only partially inhibit MAO-B in larger dosages, a Tyramine interaction/hypertensive crisis is highly unlikely if not impossible. I know for Harmalas in tea form, the MAO-A inhibition is very short compared to Harmalas in capsule form, and this can be figured out by taking the DMT sometime after taking the Harmalas, if you wait too late, DMT will not be active because the gut's MAO-A inhibition isn't there anymore, which is why it's suggested to consume the DMT no more than say 20 minutes after consuming Harmalas in tea form, whereas with Harmalas in capsule form i've had MAO-A inhibition last up to about an hour but generally consume the DMT 30 minutes after my Rue or Harmala capsules.

nen888
#44 Posted : 7/23/2017 2:26:50 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

re 'head' vs 'stomach', let's not forget there's a lot of Serotonin and other 'neurotransmitters' in the stomach..

but yes I hope more work can be done to study the purging mechanism of ayahusca

thanks for the input ShamensStamen

ShamensStamen
#45 Posted : 7/23/2017 2:28:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

For sure, if i remember correctly, like 90+% of Serotonin is in the gut, right? Still, i haven't noticed any Serotonergic nausea/vomiting when it comes to Aya/Pharma.

With Moclobemide, DMT is definitely more head/mind-oriented, whereas with Harmalas, it feels more full body. I think because the Harmalas are more physical, whereas Moclobemide is rather transparent on the body.

downwardsfromzero
#46 Posted : 7/23/2017 3:42:30 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Have I missed something or did that 35-compound receptor affinity study not look at TAAR activity? It strikes me that that would be another place to look. The mention that excess overall amine load could lead to purging made me think of this. Amines, ergo, trace amine activated receptor.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

ShamensStamen
#47 Posted : 7/23/2017 5:38:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Have I missed something or did that 35-compound receptor affinity study not look at TAAR activity? It strikes me that that would be another place to look. The mention that excess overall amine load could lead to purging made me think of this. Amines, ergo, trace amine activated receptor.

That may indeed be something to look into. But that still wouldn't explain why there's no nausea/vomiting with the Harmala reverse tolerance, or when using Moclobemide.

nen888
#48 Posted : 7/23/2017 7:09:36 AM
member for the trees

downwardsfromzero wrote:

..tha's a good point downwardsfromzero..DMT is considered a trace amine and maybe has activity on the Trace Amine Receptors, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...mc/articles/PMC3155724/, though that study you asked about and i linked didn't include it.

on MAO A and B it does get a bit like groundhog day at the nexus sometimes...but with Harmalas it seems to be complex and not fully established, nor what DMT is primarily acted on by ..from this 2010 thread https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=17592

picatris wrote:
endlessness wrote:
How else would it work to orally activate DMT using harmalas, considering they are MAO-A inhibitors and not MAO-B inhibitors?

Edit: Hmm, seems there's actually a bit of controversy regarding this? Check this out:

Quote:
An earlier study using iproniazid, a non-specific MAO inhibitor, had already demonstrated that DMT is primarily metabolized by MAO (Barker et al., 1980). As the harmala alkaloids are known to preferentially inhibit MAO-A (Buckholtz and Boggan, 1977), it follows that DMT would be thepreferred substrate for this particular isozyme (i.e. MAO-A). However, one report has suggested thatDMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-B(Suzuki et al., 1981), while 5-methoxy-DMT is preferentially metabolized by MAO-A (Squires, 1975). A metabolic study on DMT showed this alkaloid to be rapidly metabolized in the blood to dimethylkynuramine by an unknown enzymatic reaction (Hryhorczuk et al., 1986).

(source: Callaway et al. Pharmacokinetics of Hoasca alkaloids in healthy humans Journal of Ethnopharmacology 65 (1999) 243 – 256 )

The controversy continues to this day: Check this out: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2009.10.030

The authors report both MAO-A and MAO-B inhibition for harmine and harmaline, although MAOAI is stronger...

i would like to understand more clearly ShamensStamen how Moclobemide and Harmalas differ in their specific functioning..and types of MAOI variance

i wish i had more time, but this is a whole line of potential study..the relationship between TAAR, MAOIs, endogenous amine levels and interlinked physiological function..a really good paper on this, for those who want to go deeper, is http://journal.frontiers...89/fnins.2016.00148/full

Quote:
..administration of MAO-B inhibitors, which increased β-PEA levels above their physiological range...

..in discussing the role of MAO in increasing trace amine levels endogenously..

also from that paper:
Quote:
Studies with heterologous expression systems and brain synaptosomes have revealed a complex tripartite relationship between TAAR1, monoamine transporters, and monoamine autoreceptors in vitro.

the physiological mechanisms of ayahusca purging is definitely a good and open line of study

Aum_Shanti
#49 Posted : 7/23/2017 8:25:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

@ShamensStamen:

Sure I don't say anything about not the Harmalas being responsible for purging, especially on high doses.
What I wonder is the synergetic effect of Harmalas with oral DMT which seems to drastically increase this purging component (as if one would have taken much more Harmalas).
And as said for me this only happens with oral DMT, not vaped.

So IMHO there must be some strange interaction with the oral DMT increasing the purging component.
And as it only happens to me when the DMT is taken orally, it IMHO probably has something to do with what happens in the digestive system.

About the study that DMT being mainly affected by MAO-B: Shouldn't this one easily be tested by trying to use Hordenine together with DMT and see what happens?
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

ShamensStamen
#50 Posted : 7/23/2017 8:58:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

@Aum_Shanti - Yes, there is definitely something going on in the digestive tract concerning DMT and Harmalas. I understand exactly what you mean, but people are putting all the attention/focus on the DMT (which again, is understandable) when we should be focusing on the Harmalas. The DMT does seem to force the Harmala purge, but as i've said before it's like the Harmalas make the stomach more sensitive or something so that when the DMT is consumed the Harmalas' purgative effects are triggered. With Harmalas there could be sensitivity in the stomach, maybe 5-HT3 activation, maybe the Harmalas makes the stomach think DMT is some sort of toxin that it needs to vomit up, idk. But if oral DMT doesn't cause the nausea/vomiting when taken with Moclobemide/MAO-A inhibition in general, then it's definitely something to do with the Harmalas, something that can become desensitized with regular Harmala consumption. Which btw is one reason i think some of the side-effects go away, because with the reverse tolerance it's almost like some receptors get desensitized/down-regulated while it's MAO-A inhibition and some other effects stick around.

ShamensStamen
#51 Posted : 7/23/2017 9:15:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
i would like to understand more clearly ShamensStamen how Moclobemide and Harmalas differ in their specific functioning..and types of MAOI variance

As far as i know, Moclobemide is said to be purely a reversible inhibitor of MAO-A, but in larger dosages can also partially inhibit MAO-B, however on the wikipedia page it states that in rats Moclobemide is an MAO-A inhibitor with partial MAO-B inhibition, whereas in Humans it's said to be a pure reversible MAO-A inhibitor, with negligible inhibition of MAO-B, so all it really does is inhibit MAO-A (maybe possibly some of MAO-B) but it has no other effects, unlike the Harmalas which have a lot of other effects aside from just MAO-A inhibition. And while Harmalas are said to be reversible MAO-A inhibitors, it's said in larger dosages they could partially inhibit MAO-B as well, but even if that is the case DMT is definitely metabolized by MAO-A and not MAO-B.

Also, in terms of Tyramine interactions, because Harmalas and Moclobemide are reversible, if Tyramine is ingested, it can be metabolized by MAO-B, but if there's too much Tyramine then it can counteract the inhibition of gut MAO-A and allow Tyramine to be metabolized, because it can counteract the reversible inhibition. On top of that, with the Harmalas (at least in tea form), it's MAO-A inhibition only lasts for maybe up to 20 minutes if i'm not mistaken, i think by 30 minutes gut MAO-A is no longer inhibited so if you drink the Harmalas/Rue/Caapi and 30 minutes later take your DMT/DMT-containing plant and it's not active, that's a good indicator that gut MAO-A is no longer inhibited. I know with capsules, gut MAO-A is inhibited for a bit longer, so about maybe an hour to an hour and a half max, but an hour and a half is pushing it and i feel like most of the gut's MAO-A inhibition would be gone by then, if i remember correctly. So not only are the Harmalas reversible in their inhibition of MAO-A, but MAO-B is free to metabolize some of the Tyramine, so that would make a Tyramine-related Hypertensive Crisis highly unlikely. Plus it's really short duration of gut MAO-A inhibition also adds to the safety and makes a Tyramine reaction that more unlikely. Also only gut MAO-A inhibition is needed to orally activate DMT, so even if you do ingest Tyramine, it may counteract the gut's MAO-A inhibition but MAO-A elsewhere (like in the brain) would still be inhibited, and as long as the inhibition isn't counteracted when trying to consume DMT, then DMT will be active and all will be fine. So really there's only a short window that's necessary for gut MAO-A inhibition and DMT activation.

I'm not exactly sure how long Moclobemide's gut MAO-A inhibition lasts, but i think it's about the same as the encapsulated Harmalas/Rue, about an hour and a half, maybe two hours max.

I came across this earlier though in relation to Tyramine, which can also be applied to the Harmalas - "To overcome at least "the cheese effect," selective reversible MAO-A inhibitor antidepressants such as moclobemide have been developed. Being reversibly bound to MAO, these drugs may be displaced from their binding site in the intestine by ingested, indirectly sympathomimetic amines such as tyramine, thus avoiding the initiation of the hypertensive crises."

"In 2300 patients treated with moclobemide in doses up to 600 mg/day, without dietary restrictions, there was no tyramine-related hypertensive reaction."

nen888
#52 Posted : 7/23/2017 1:49:46 PM
member for the trees

yeah, ShamensStamen i confess thought there was more evidence for harmala MAO-B interaction..but not so much..it stemmed out of looking for differences in action between moclobemide and Harmalas.. still with MAO-A we get more amines or trace amines in the system..if above a dosage MAO-B inhibition kicks in another set of amines is available..perhaps harmalas are more potent generally..as the TAAR paper i linked shows, TAAR and MAO-B directly interact..a TAAR trigger can trigger MAO B changes..i wish i hadn't digressed on that

..purging from 'intensity' as said of Moclobemide must still have a physiological correlate..
why does the gut want to throw up, is what lead me to amines..and because the same dose of harmalas, in some people, will sometimes cause nausea and sometimes not..what are the factors?
but it's an open question..

one thing about harmalas..and individual variation in effects like nausea (which i'm not sure was posted in the thread on the related topic), from T. Harraiz et al Journal of Food and Chemical Toxicology 2009:

"..harmala alkaloids are metabolized in the liver and extra hepatic tissues with the participation of the cytochrome P450 2D6 to harmalol and harmol, much less potent inhibitors of MAO..As this P450 is polymorphic and there exist poor and extensive metabolizers, the pharmacological and toxicological effects of P.harmala extracts might be highly affected by individual genetic polymorphism."

dreamer042
#53 Posted : 7/23/2017 4:15:28 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I was understandably concerned when 4 of the worlds leading health organizations (FDA, WHO, TGA, and Health Canada) issue a warning about SS from a medication (without involving MAOI's) and the refutation being referenced as evidence against it provides no information explaining why these organizations are in the wrong.

I finally found a document that explains that missing WHY factor. It demonstrates where the hypothesis (provided by these major health organizations as the mechanism at play) which I was working from, was incorrect, and further outlines the actual mechanisms at play. This alleviates much of my concern.

I very much appreciate when it can be explained why I am wrong, rather than just told I am wrong without the demonstration of what actually is occurring.

Anyway, here is what is actually going on:
Quote:
Speculations on an Implausible Mechanism

What about the necessary plausible mechanism by which this putative effect might be mediated? The answer to that is simple, there is no plausible mechanism.
That should be the end of the story. The fact that it is not is because the above-mentioned agencies have issued official ‘warnings’ which most doctors are unable to understand.
The proposed mechanism for this putative effect is the notion that increased levels of free serotonin are generated by ‘displacement’ of serotonin that is ‘free’ because it is unable to bind to 5-HT3 receptors which are already blocked (i.e. ‘occupied’) by ondansetron. At least, that is what I think they think they mean. But the text below indicates a lack of clarity and precision in the formulation of this idea, which was mooted in the penultimate paragraph (left-hand column at the bottom of page 20) of the WHO document (18 ), which says:
A mechanism for a suggested increased vulnerability to serotonin syndrome when concomitantly using 5-HT3 antagonists and other serotonergic drugs might be that blocking of the 5-HT3 receptor subtype, and at the same time increasing the levels of serotonin, results in excessive serotonin to other serotonin receptor subtypes, including 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A (25, 26).
In support of this wild speculation the WHO & FDA documents quote both Turkel (25) and Altman (26). Neither the Turkel nor the Altman report is by a researcher or expert in this field, they contain no original research data, nor any other referenced data (see below): they are merely musings that offer no science whatsoever to back up the WHO ‘claim’.
I mentioned above that the mis-citation of references can go beyond carelessness and become academic fraud. The references cited in science writing are supposed to substantiate the facts and arguments being put forward. If a paper is cited which does not in fact say what the authors claim or insinuate it says, or it is simply irrelevant in that particular context, then it is mis-cited. Obviously, that may represent occasional carelessness but it is a serious academic failing which can rapidly shade into deceit and fraud. This is a very serious issue that academics have difficulty facing up to.
So, this is what Turkel et al. (2001) actually state (so we can all be sure no mis-citation is involved):
“Multiple serotonin receptors may be involved in producing the symptoms of the syndrome. The serotonin syndrome implies both central and peripheral serotonin dysfunction. Perhaps blocking one type of serotonin receptor and functionally increasing systemic and CNS levels of serotonin simultaneously, hence presenting excessive serotonin to other receptors, increases the risk for serotonin syndrome …”
They offer no supporting evidence (and particularly, they offer no citation to substantiate this novel and imaginative idea), nor more detailed discussion about this speculation. In 2010 Altman et al. (26) cite Turkel without adding anything. Therefore to cite Altman as well is misleading because it gives a spurious impression that there is greater support for the idea than actually exists.
The FDA discussion states (it parrots the WHO, p. 12 under ‘Discussion’) “In order for Altman’s hypothesis to be true …”. There are two reasons why this statement represents the sort of sloppy thinking that characterises both these documents. Firstly, it was not Altman’s idea at all, it was propounded by Turkel. Secondly, it is quite wrong to describe it as a hypothesis, it was speculation, which is not the same thing. To be fair to Turkel it was introduced as speculation (“Perhaps blocking one type of serotonin receptor …”). Indeed, any good referee should have dis-allowed such speculation, unless it was substantiated by reliable references, which it was not.
It is onerous and tedious to have to dissect something as pedantically as this, but it is necessary to illustrate the point that much of what becomes accepted as part of the scientific literature about ST is poor science peppered with mis-reading and mis-interpretation of references.
Finally, a basic knowledge of neuro-anatomy and neuro-pharmacology gives us sound reasons for supposing that such a mechanism could not possibly exist or be relevant. Serotonin release from the pre-synaptic nerve diffuses across the tiny gap separating it from the receptors and only a minute proportion of the released serotonin binds (i.e. locks onto) receptors. It diffuses rapidly into the local extra-cellular fluid and a large proportion of it is taken back up into the pre-synaptic nerve for re-use. The amount that actually binds to the receptor is a small proportion of the total amount present. That fact alone would indicate that the amount taken out of this pool by binding to a particular type of receptor would have a small effect on that pool. The idea is made even less plausible because the different types of receptor are not physically juxtaposed, they are separated by much greater distances than the synaptic gap. Because diffusion involves an inverse square law the rate of decrease in concentration of the neurotransmitter drops rapidly with increasing distance from the release site. I hope this conveys convincingly what a simplistic and untenable idea this is.
An analogy may help to convey the picture. Imagine being at the back of a press gallery with a myriad of reporters thrusting their microphones in front the speaker. Do you suppose that the sound waves absorbed by all these microphones would make you significantly less able hear the speaker? Of course not. Nor, if they were all suddenly turned off would the speaker sound louder.

http://psychotropical.in...ty-and-5-ht3-antagonists

So it seems my concerns based on the mechanisms of action echoed by the large health organizations were largely unwarranted, however I still would not go so far as to pronounce this combination 100% safe for everyone all the time under every circumstance, because we simply don't have the necessary depth of research on the pharmacokinetics of plant based harmalas and dimethyltryptamine to provide that conceit. It's still wise to proceed judiciously and with caution.

This also doesn't change the fact that DMT, Harmine, and Harmaline do not bind to 5ht3. I suspect nen is probably correct in that the nausea is likely due to amine buildup from the MAO inhibition. It appears, based on the mechanisms presented above, that serotonin itself is not, and cannot be, the culprit here (again making 5ht3 antagonism irrelevant in preventing nausea in this case) but MAO-A also breaks down a handful of catacholamines (1,2,3) thus buildup of these amines could prudently be investigated as a possible culprit for the nausea associated with MAOI's. It's also worth investigating possible GABA receptor binding being at play as well, this mechanism would be a likely candidate for the ability to adapt to the effects with repeated administration.

But...
nen888 wrote:
i do also note, though, that one of ayahuasca's names in the Amazon is 'la Purga' - that's what it 'does'.

High dose 4-substituted tryptamines hyperspace you just as readily without the need for trying to figure out the reasoning for, and fiddling about with trying to prevent, the nausea from known purgatives in the first place.

1. Manor, I., et al. "Family-based and association studies of monoamine oxidase A and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): preferential transmission of the long promoter-region repeat and its association with impaired performance on a continuous performance test (TOVA)." Molecular psychiatry 7.6 (2002): 626.
2. Shih, J. C., and R. F. Thompson. "Monoamine oxidase in neuropsychiatry and behavior." The American Journal of Human Genetics 65.3 (1999): 593-598.
3. Johnston, J. P. "Some observations upon a new inhibitor of monoamine oxidase in brain tissue." Biochemical pharmacology 17.7 (1968 ): 1285-1297. (Attached)
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

syberdelic
#54 Posted : 7/23/2017 5:16:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

delete me

dreamer042
#55 Posted : 7/23/2017 5:37:37 PM

Dreamoar

syberdelic wrote:
We know that DMT has some affinity for 5HT3.

We do? Wut?

AFAIK there is only one study assaying the binding affinities of DMT. The same one cited throughout this thread. I thought it was pretty clearly reiterated...
Quote:
Receptor affinity profiles of psychedelic drugs, ordered by decreasing affinity...

DMT: 4.00 5ht7, 3.97 5ht1d, 3.91 5ht2b, 3.53 Alpha2B, 3.53 Alpha2C, 3.51 D1, 3.42 5ht2c, 3.28 5ht1e, 3.25 5ht6, 3.16 5ht5a, 3.13 Imidazoline1, 2.95 Alpha1B, 2.75 Alpha2A, 2.70 Alpha1A, 2.58 5ht2a, 2.37 SERT, 2.23 Sigma1; 0.00: 5ht1a, D4, D5, Beta1, D2, D3, DAT, NET, 5ht1b, Beta2, Sigma2, CB2, KOR, Ca+Channel, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, H2, CB1; ND: H1, DOR, MOR, NMDA

Quote:
The second section displays seven sites at which most compounds were assayed, but at which there were no hits: 5ht3 (serotonin-3 receptor), H3 (histamine-3 receptor), H4 (histamine-4 receptor), V1 (vasopressin-1 receptor), V2 (vasopressin-2 receptor), V3 (vasopressin-3 receptor), GabaA (GABA-A receptor).

Is there another study demonstrating otherwise that you are aware of that I am not?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

downwardsfromzero
#56 Posted : 7/23/2017 5:53:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

ShamensStamen wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

That may indeed be something to look into. But that still wouldn't explain why there's no nausea/vomiting with the Harmala reverse tolerance, or when using Moclobemide.

Well, if harmala reverse tolerance was regulated through modulation of TAAR then it would explain something. E.g., increased amine levels -> initial nausea response; continued elevated amine level -> compensatory response (down regulation of TAAR?) = "harmala reverse tolerance"?

Of course, I've seen no evidence that TAAR mediates a nausea response (although it would perhaps make sense). Research may (already) show that this occurs. TAAR is a relatively newly discovered receptor type.

This seems like a crucial piece of information to repeat as well:
Quote:
A metabolic study on DMT showed this alkaloid to be rapidly metabolized in the blood to dimethylkynuramine by an unknown enzymatic reaction (Hryhorczuk et al., 1986).

Is this enzyme still unknown? Do harmala alkaloids also interact with it? And moclobemide? Wouldn't it be funny if we've been barking up the wrong tree(s) all along!

Do sigma receptors also play a role in nausea? They were originally thought to be an opioid receptor subtype - but of course are more promiscuous than that - nonetheless, opioids are well known for nausea induction. Is opiate nausea a 5HT3 thing? Opioids do to a certain extent mediate serotonin release, IIRC.

Just some thoughts!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

syberdelic
#57 Posted : 7/23/2017 7:20:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll get back to this later.

or

Please delete my account.

syberdelic
#58 Posted : 7/23/2017 7:36:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

delete me

dreamer042
#59 Posted : 7/23/2017 8:27:18 PM

Dreamoar

syberdelic wrote:
And the other study sited with a Ki value of >10,000 eliminates any relevance as an antagonist.

From what I understand the Ki values in that study represent activity as agonists.
Quote:
Activity Assays

For the twenty-five compounds of Fig. 1, the NIMH-PDSP also performed activity assays at 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C. The Emax values (maximal activity) are relative to 5-HT (serotonin), measuring Ca++ mobilization. Ca++ flux assays were performed using a FLIPRTETRA. The activity assays were conducted with cell lines which have very high receptor expression levels (e.g. plenty of ‘spare receptors’). Under such conditions partial agonists will have considerable agonist activity. The data represent the mean ± variance of computer-derived estimates from single experiments done in quadruplicate. Thus, the four observations are averaged and a single estimate with error is provided.

http://journals.plos.org...371/journal.pone.0009019

I did a search for a paper matching that table in the Cozzi presentation but was unable to turn anything up. As that information conflicts directly with the previous study showing basically no binding affinity whatsoever for DMT at 5ht3, I'm curious to see how the assay was performed and to understand exactly how "action at physiologically relevant concentrations" is defined?

My initial intuition would be that of course DMT would agonize 5ht3 receptors, being how close it is structurally to serotonin. This also vibes with the fact that having sufficient experience with harmalas, I usually don't experience nausea until I ingest and start metabolizing the DMT component of a "huasca". However the assay by Thomas Ray seems to refute that idea.

dreamer042
#60 Posted : 7/23/2017 8:56:27 PM

Dreamoar

downwardsfromzero wrote:
ShamensStamen wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

Well, if harmala reverse tolerance was regulated through modulation of TAAR then it would explain something. E.g., increased amine levels -> initial nausea response; continued elevated amine level -> compensatory response (down regulation of TAAR?) = "harmala reverse tolerance"?

Of course, I've seen no evidence that TAAR mediates a nausea response (although it would perhaps make sense). Research may (already) show that this occurs. TAAR is a relatively newly discovered receptor type.

It appears DMT has little affinity for TAAR receptors (see table 2).

Rickli, Anna, et al. "Receptor interaction profiles of novel psychoactive tryptamines compared with classic hallucinogens." European Neuropsychopharmacology 26.8 (2016): 1327-1337. (attached)

PREV12345NEXT»