We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Struggling Caapi Options

Opiyum
#1 Posted : 7/15/2017 5:54:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any advice would be appreciated.

Below is my Caapi vine. It's a little over a year old growing here in Los Angeles. I recently had to transplant it and, as you can see, it has suffered quite a shock.
It's the dead of summer here and it's been quite hot. So it's normal that every day around 5pm the leaves are quite shriveled but once it cools off and the direct sun goes away they perk back up.
Now that I added the stress of transplanting it to the daily stress of LA summer I am afraid it may not survive.
I tried cloning it but that experiment failed because of my roommates cat.

The transplanted location now only just barely gets direct sunlight now so I think, if it survives, its going to be much better off and the new place leaves so much room for it to grow freely.

So once again any advice would be great. Water it extra? Water it less? Add fertilizer? Should I trim back the bits that are clearly a lost cause?
I already pre-treated the new plant location with humic acid and I adjusted ph...so hopefully that is helping.

Fingers crossed....
Opiyum attached the following image(s):
20170714_191857.jpg (2,458kb) downloaded 106 time(s).

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ulim
#2 Posted : 7/15/2017 1:02:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Opiyum wrote:
It's the dead of summer here and it's been quite hot.

Thats the problem. If you transplant a plant you can be sure it will loose many roots no matter how carefull you are. All these roots lost will greatly decrease water uptake.
This in turn will not be sufficent because most plants like to grow only as much roots as they need.
Thats why transplanting usually only in spring or autuum.

Your plant most definetly needs tons of water. Dont overfertilize now or you will hurt the roots even more. Try to put it into shade by covering it with something during 11-15 o clock to reduce water usage.
But dont go overboard in any direction. See how much water and covering it needs so it doesn shrivel.

Opiyum
#3 Posted : 9/12/2017 1:28:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well good news. It survived and is doing really well in its new location. Much better than the old location as it gets much less direct Los angeles sun. It lost about 95% of it's leaves but has bounced back quickly and already has many new shoots.

So there you go. You can transplant ayahuasca during the summer heat in the desert and it will still survive. Or perhaps I should say CAN survive.