We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Strain (Identification?) Options

Ginkgo
#21 Posted : 3/26/2010 4:59:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please note that speciosa is not classified as a distinct species, it is rather the subspecies Argyreia nervosa var. speciosa. That is what is sold as the Indian strain. It has no psychoactive use, but is used in Ayurveda.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Aum_Shanti
#22 Posted : 6/1/2017 12:02:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

20 years ago, I tried to grow some HBWR. They did grow, but they all died during the first winter.
(back then I didn't know, that they cannot stand colder temps < 15°C)

This year I wanted to try it again, so I bought some seeds.
As they looked quite different from the old ones, I had a look around on the net, only to discover that as it seems there are different strains (from Hawaii, Ghana, India and as it seems Madagascar).
Quote:
Seeds from Ghana are typically smooth and very light in color. Seeds of the Ayurvedic strain from India are typically more “pointed” and larger than most other Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds. A. nervosa seeds from India typically have lower LSA content, look roughly the same as the coveted strain from Hawaii, but don’t have much “fuzz” on them, and are typically slightly smaller in size. Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds from Hawaii are smaller and round, with a good amount of ‘fuzz’ on them. This strain is considered the most potent, as it generally contains the highest alkaloid content. These seeds are most sought after and are also the hardest to find.

(from here)

But I'm not really sure what I do have here. Unfortunately it seems there is nowhere online any pics comparing these.

Attached a pic of my two seed strains: The left ones, are the new ones, and the right ones, the 20 year old ones.
From the different descriptions, I would think the new ones are from india, whereas the old ones were Hawaiian.
but I'm not sure.

What do you think?
Aum_Shanti attached the following image(s):
Two_different_Strains_small.jpg (116kb) downloaded 106 time(s).
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

Cognitive Heart
#23 Posted : 6/1/2017 11:40:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The darker seeds on the left side seem to be of the Indian variety woodrose, and those seeds on the right side look like Madagascar.. due to the lighter color. Ghanna has more of a kernel effect. I could be wrong, though. The variation is difficult sometimes.
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Aum_Shanti
#24 Posted : 6/2/2017 7:22:17 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you very much. So you also came to the conclusion that these seem to be the indian strain. So probably not the ones you would like to grow for alkaloids...

But they hopefully still make a nice beauty of a plant...

Edit:
So the ones from Madagascar are lighter in color than the Hawaiian?
For at least the ones on the right do have some kind of hairs on them, which the ones on the left don't have. So do both, the ones from Hawaii and the ones from Madagascar have hairs?
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

Cognitive Heart
#25 Posted : 6/2/2017 9:08:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Indian strain is fine to grow. It certainly does contain LSA but in a slightly lower amount than Hawaiian. Which is the genuine entheogenic strain. India's strain is utilized as a medicine in various areas throughout India, but mostly as a tonic. If those are Madagascar seeds, they will certainly be active! Possibly and slightly more potent than the original Hawaiian seeds.

Quote:
So the ones from Madagascar are lighter in color than the Hawaiian?

Typically, but it can be easy to overlook. Hawaiian seeds usually have a dull, browner color. You'll notice greatly from potency, otherwise. Regarding the husk hairs, if the woodrose seed is smooth, it has been well-prepared. I suggest removing any irritating hairs from these seeds.

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Aum_Shanti
#26 Posted : 6/3/2017 8:54:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
If those are Madagascar seeds, they will certainly be active! Possibly and slightly more potent than the original Hawaiian seeds.

Lol, as the seeds I have are 20 years old, I doubt there's still much potency...
And back then I didn't try them, as I bought them for growing.

Quote:
if the woodrose seed is smooth, it has been well-prepared. I suggest removing any irritating hairs from these seeds.

So they always should be hairy?
Hmm, I had now a look through the binocular on them. And yes they are indeed both hairy. Although strangely I can see the hairs on the right ones by eye, but not one the left ones.

Cognitive Heart
#27 Posted : 6/3/2017 8:36:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Essentially lesser hair.. so visible hairs should be removed. And yeah, you'll get a strong companion through growing those seeds. Thumbs up

Aum_Shanti
#28 Posted : 6/21/2017 10:36:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Now just the impossible has happened:

One of my 20year old Argyeria seeds sprouted!!!

I seeded 6 of my 20 year olds and 6 of the new ones.
It seems the seed source of the new ones is quite bad, as all their seeds I got (also T. Bridgesii and Ephedra) have a terrible germination rate.

So of the total of 12 seeds, one sprouted, and this is from a 20 year old seed.
But now I have the problem that it seems the upper part cannot get out of the seed, as the seed hull is just too stable (still hard as a rock).
Any idea what one could do now?
I fear if it cannot get rid of the seed hull soon it will die.

Cognitive Heart
#29 Posted : 6/21/2017 8:41:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aum_Shanti wrote:
.Any idea what one could do now?

Perhaps the sprout will be strong enough to push through it? So it could be just left alone(depending how long it has been) or one can gently nick the tip of the hull to break down that cell wall. Some uploads would be helpful if possible, too, seems you got some real potential ahead with these seeds. Thumbs up

downwardsfromzero
#30 Posted : 6/21/2017 8:47:45 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

^^That is very inspiring! I've an ancient stash of HBWR seeds that might benefit from growing rather than giving meagre results from being eaten.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Aum_Shanti
#31 Posted : 6/22/2017 6:47:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Sad Sad Crying or very sad Crying or very sad

Bad news.
I tried to help it getting out, and then realized that the upper leaves part is completely rotten.

It seems the thing that makes the stem survived these 20years (did make a stem of about 6cm), but the thing that builds the first leaves didn't...

downwardsfromzero
#32 Posted : 6/22/2017 11:27:55 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, that explains why the seed case wasn't pushed off.

It also gives a basic insight into one factor affecting seed viability over long term storage.

This is no time for 'what ifs' but I'll consider putting nicks in my old seeds should it come to germinating them.

Still, sad to hear of your loss! Sad

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PREV12