We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
how do i save this torch? Options

McCoyBoy
#1 Posted : 6/12/2017 4:33:23 PM

enthusiast

got a cutting online a while ago, tried to plant it. got some rot issues so i took it out. rot started to travel i thought it was going to die. months down the road i get this little guy. not sure if i can cut it off or what. how do i save this?
McCoyBoy attached the following image(s):
20170520_160740.jpg (2,441kb) downloaded 106 time(s).
as above, so below

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Wolfnippletip
#2 Posted : 6/12/2017 7:08:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Make sure it has a full Rot-ectomy, let the cut parts dry and scar over for a week or so then see if what's left will root. You can remove the pup and try to get it to root by itself, separately but I'd leave the pup on and try and root the whole thing.
My flesh moves, like liquid. My mind is cut loose.

Asher7
#3 Posted : 6/13/2017 2:51:56 AM

Professional Tracker

I'm questioning your soil, it looks like you just plunked it in the ground. I have this one cactus that was supposedly "hand picked from a shaman's garden" or whatever and it is the most sensitive thing to water I've ever seen. It is worse than the brown paper you dry your hands off with in the gas station bathroom. Anyways, it still grows.

My point, if the top is still growing, the flow is getting through the base. If the top is visibly suffering, the base is closed off. You could pull it up, use a sterile knife to slice through live flesh and then put it in front of a fan on low and let it callous over, ultimatly leading to a replant. Or you could just let it keep going if the tip is alive. You have to play these things by ear.

Either way, you need to make appropriate soil. Assuming what I see in the photo is correct, you need to make appropriate soil and your cactus will take off. If what Im seeing isnt accurate, my apologies.
Asher7 attached the following image(s):
1497318721252.jpg (919kb) downloaded 83 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 6/13/2017 5:00:51 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Dusting cut surfaces with powdered sulfur is also considered a good hygiene practice by some.

Taking cuttings is a fairly reliable way of increasing your stem count although some would argue that growing from seed will serve just as well, if not better. Cactus seedlings will take a good few years to get their alkaloid levels to par, though.

Either way, patience and dedication pay dividends of joy and satisfaction in the realm of cactus cultivation!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Ulim
#5 Posted : 6/13/2017 11:13:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

McCoyBoy wrote:
got a cutting online a while ago, tried to plant it. got some rot issues so i took it out. rot started to travel i thought it was going to die. months down the road i get this little guy. not sure if i can cut it off or what. how do i save this?

Dont see any rot there. Just some callus.

Continuum
#6 Posted : 6/14/2017 1:57:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks fine to me too, except that you may have some mites between the ribs there. Could be sand or something too, but the white looks suspect so check it carefully.

Also, I think that's a Cuszcoensis (how on earth do you spell that?) rather than a torch.
Forge a Path with Heart <3