We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
st john's wort - strength? Options

jiva
#1 Posted : 3/17/2017 3:16:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hello everyone,

does anyone know how strong of an MAOI St. Johns Wort is?

i have been drinking tea the last few days.
next week there is party coming up with a potential for rolling so i want to make sure i am save.

thanks for your help

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dragonrider
#2 Posted : 6/13/2017 3:11:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't believe st johnsworth actually is a MAOI. As far as i know, it increases synaptic dopamine levels through another mechanism than MAO-inhibition.

In my experience it DOES increase the effects of most psychedelics though, when a little (one or two capsules should do it) is taken, 30 minutes to an hour prior to taking shrooms or cannabis.

Don't try to mix it with ayahuasca. That's dangerours.

dreamer042
#3 Posted : 6/13/2017 3:46:19 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

It is a very weak inhibitor of MAO-A and MAO-B, I don't expect much interaction with MDMA because it's such a weak inhibitor, but it's not a bad idea to discontinue it for a few days beforehand. It's also a pretty wide spectrum neurotransmitter uptake inhibitor (post synaptic) which could theoretically lead to slightly decreased effects from the MDMA, but again I don't expect too much issue here either. It's actually best utilized a few days after taking MDMA to help upregulate the receptors.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Mindlusion
#4 Posted : 6/13/2017 5:03:52 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

dreamer042 wrote:
It is a very weak inhibitor of MAO-A and MAO-B, I don't expect much interaction with MDMA because it's such a weak inhibitor, but it's not a bad idea to discontinue it for a few days beforehand. It's also a pretty wide spectrum neurotransmitter uptake inhibitor (post synaptic) which could theoretically lead to slightly decreased effects from the MDMA, but again I don't expect too much issue here either. It's actually best utilized a few days after taking MDMA to help upregulate the receptors.

Remember it also has SSRI activity, (as well as dopamine and norepinephrine, GABA and glutamate) it is actually fairly unique in its action as an SNDRI, acts on the TRPC6 ion channel. Hyperforin and adhyperforin are really cool molecules.

Seeing how MDMA acts as a serotonin and dopamine releasing agent... I would be very careful. Would not recommend drinking the tea the same day as taking MDMA.

On the other hand, it could have synergistic effects, but I am not eager to find out

---

Also, if you have been drinking it daily, it may take longer then a few days for your receptors to be up-regulated again, MDMA may still have diminished effect

edit:

I just read that it also results in upregulation of 5HT2a receptors, that is strange, considering the re-uptake effects you would assume the reverse... Perhaps this is why people report it can potentiate psychedelics.. Interesting, but still, would not want to experiment with MDMA
http://journals.sagepub.....1177/026988110101500109
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."