We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT Freeze Precip. Issue Options

Dimethylfeind
#1 Posted : 5/27/2017 3:15:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Stop Hello fellow hyperspace travelers! I need help! I am currently doing the freeze precip method and I'm having trouble. I know this has probably been posted before however I believe I've read TOO much into it and now there's too many techniques stuck in my head and I dont know what to choose from. My question is what is the best way to dry the crystals without them melting first? I tried last night and it was a FAIL! I dumped the naptha in a second container to evap and meanwhile I closed my mason jar with the crystals in it to reach room temp(upside down). The crystals slowly but surely melted into a yellowish sludge. I decided to put naptha back in the jar and re-do the process. Tonight I will be trying again. How should I go about this? Btw I'm not doing the coffee filter method. I've read too many bad results from that including loss of yield. I've heard of putting it back in the freezer for like an hour upside down to let the naptha drain works? Any info would help

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AcidShard
#2 Posted : 5/27/2017 3:55:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, it has been answered a million times before.

Put the dish on its side after the naphtha is poured off, and dry with a fan ASAP.
Keep it somewhere cool while doing this. A flat Pyrex dish works better than a jar for scraping afterwards, let them dry for a few hours.

A bit more reading would help a lot.
Good luck

Dimethylfeind
#3 Posted : 5/27/2017 4:35:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

AcidShard wrote:

Put the dish on its side after the naphtha is poured off, and dry with a fan ASAP.
Keep it somewhere cool while doing this. A flat Pyrex dish works better than a jar for scraping afterwards, let them dry for a few hours.

Good luck

Ok thanks for consistently answering my posts AcidShard. I appreciate it. As for the Pyrex baking dish how would I go about freeze precipitating in the dish? I'm scared that a little moisture from the freezer might get in it even with a lid over it.

Dimethylfeind
#4 Posted : 5/27/2017 4:43:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

AcidShard wrote:

Good luck

Also won't the inside of the jar start to condensate from the coldness of the jar if I leave it open right after pouring??

AcidShard
#5 Posted : 5/27/2017 4:49:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

No problem, although spoon feeding answers isn't the norm here.
You are highly encouraged to read,read,read. And then search for answers. Google search and then click "more from DMT nexus" to get a lot of threads about what you are looking for.

I know first extractions are usually a little tricky for folks though, so I do what I can.
I used a large ziplock bag, just leave air in it so it doesn't dip into the naphtha. If it doesn't fit, you could try cling wrap or try to find something else that is flat that you can scrape easier than a mason jar. I found mine at a second hand store.

Good luck

AcidShard
#6 Posted : 5/27/2017 4:51:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dimethylfeind wrote:
AcidShard wrote:

Good luck

Also won't the inside of the jar start to condensate from the coldness of the jar if I leave it open right after pouring??

You will be letting it dry fully before scraping though, it will be fine. Patience is key.

Dimethylfeind
#7 Posted : 5/27/2017 4:59:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ok sweet. Thanks for the tips. I'll try not to post the same questions anymore

Dimethylfeind
#8 Posted : 5/27/2017 9:02:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

UPDATE: I went ahead and took the crystals out of the freezer and poured the naptha out quickly and set the jar in front of a fan. So far the crystals have only melted a little bit(small amount of yellow goo melted to the bottom.). I can say however that the crystal yield is still looking good compared to just letting it reach room temp with the lid ON and then taking it off to dry. Thanks a lot again for the different technique. I'm a lot more happy with the results so far. If it all still ends up melting I suppose I'll just let the DMT goo dry and smoke that. I heard the goo is better anyways. (Crystals are just pretty and more convenient.)

AcidShard
#9 Posted : 5/27/2017 1:12:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad it worked out.
If some "crystals" melted right away, it may just be water that got into your NPS, then froze.
Just let it dry completely and it will be good.
Let us know how your journey goes!
Take care

Asher7
#10 Posted : 5/27/2017 11:09:32 PM

Professional Tracker

I read this one thing one time where someone just bypassed the freezer completely and poured their solvent into a pyrex dish and put a fan directly on it so that the solvent would "ripple". He said it worked fine if you're ok with using up a little more naptha than is immediately necessary for the freeze precip. A miniscule amount.

And then a person could clean it up later if they wanted to.

Dimethylfeind
#11 Posted : 5/29/2017 4:03:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

UPDATE:So for anyone wondering. I decided to do a little experimenting with my last few pulls. I just wasn't really happy with what I was getting. (Few nice crystals and the rest just some yellow sludge.) So what I did was I followed the coffee filter method. When I freeze precipitated it I pulled it out and immediately dumped the cold naptha through a coffee filter and collected some of the loose crystals. The rest of the stuff stuck to the bottom was then closed back up air tight and thrown upside down back into the freezer. I picked up the coffee filters as fast as possible and took them to a mini fan where i proceeded to fold them up and tape it directly to the fan so wind would dry them out really fast. I am pleased to say that all the crystals on the filter came out beautiful and were dry in less than 5 minutes. The rest of the crystals in the jar still melted a little bit but I found that pitting it back in the freezer upside down allowed some of the naptha to drip off. About an hour later I took the jar to the fan also to dry. Came out with more beautiful crystals and a little bit if melted residue.

Dimethylfeind
#12 Posted : 5/29/2017 4:06:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I also got the chance to smoke some of the final product. I just tested it out for now though. Didn't try for a break through. I'll make a whole new post when I shoot for a breakthrough to let you know how it went.