We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Multiple pulls vs multiple mixing. Options

Heulas
#1 Posted : 5/24/2017 3:55:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So, i can't really find or think for an answer to this question.

- It is said that multiple small pulls work better than one large one.

But:

- It is said that the proprieties of NPS do not diminish over using.
- It is said also that 50ml of NPS can hold way more DMT than the quantity of spice from 100g MHRB. (e.g: re-x)

So, why do i need to add NPS to every pull?

Couldn't i use only 50ml of NPS and then just mix/let the layers separate as i would do with a multiple pull situation (thus repeating the mixing/separating phase about 16/18 times) but only pulling at the end of various mixing phases?

I feel like there could be something wrong in this line of thinking, but i really can't get why.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DansMaTete
#2 Posted : 5/24/2017 4:03:40 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

The FAQ is a good start when you have some question.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

Heulas
#3 Posted : 5/24/2017 4:09:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've did my research on the topic and there are only information about how using more NPS actually does not yield better results than multiple, smaller, pulls.

My question is different.

DansMaTete
#4 Posted : 5/24/2017 4:51:07 PM

Endlessness did a nice analogy that i think explain quite well :
Endlessness wrote:
Or think of when washing clothes (the example given in the FAQ), or very dirty dishes, where one will do one wash to get rid of most stuff, but then rinse and wash it again (or the washing machine has many cycles instead of just one long one), because there is always some dirt left behind.

Heulas
#5 Posted : 5/24/2017 5:04:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, i was thinking about that analogy too, but it still doesn't answer my theoretical problem, because:

Heulas wrote:
- It is said that the proprieties of NPS do not diminish over using.

SeeOn reusing non polar solvents for more infos.

It also doesn't anwer my question because Endlessness is referring to the big one pull vs many smaller ones, which is different from the situation i'm thinking of, where there is one pull after 18 mix/separate phases.

So, following the analogy, this is what i'm actually asking: "letting the dishes in the soapy water for a longer time and then washing, isn't equal to rinse and wash for many times?"

DansMaTete
#6 Posted : 5/24/2017 5:31:19 PM

mmmm, for me it's the same question.

I gonna try to explain (i'm not very good at it). One pull, even big volume mixed many times, won't take 100% of the dmt molecules.

Big volume (500ml):
1 pull will get 90% of molecule.
There still 10% left in the basic solution and then you have to deal with a big volume of diluted NPS which is bad for crystallization (by freeze or evaporation).

3xsmall volume (3x50ml) :
1rst pull gets 70% and 30% is left
2nd pull gets 70% of 30% left (=21%) and 9% is left
3rd pull gets 70% 9% left (=6.3%) and 2.7% is left
At the end there is only 2.7% left in basic solution and you have 150ml of concentrated NPS which is easier to deal with for crystallization.

About "- It is said that the proprieties of NPS do not diminish over using.", i believe you're getting it wrong. Proprieties won't diminish over using when you're re-using solvent after freeze precipitation so you can use 50ml for the 1rst pull, freeze precipate it and re-use the same 50ml (which doesn't contain dmt anymore) for the 2nd pull and repeat many time before those 50ml become ineffective.

Heulas
#7 Posted : 5/24/2017 6:01:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DansMaTete wrote:
freeze precipate it and re-use the same 50ml (which doesn't contain dmt anymore) for the 2nd pull and repeat many time before those 50ml become ineffective.

This is confuted by:

Heulas wrote:
- It is said also that 50ml of NPS can hold way more DMT than the quantity of spice from 100g MHRB. (e.g: re-x)

This last info comes from many different topics on the Nexus, also i used re-x as an example because you can actually dissolve 1g of DMT into 40 ml of hot NPS (such as naphtha, hexane, heptane).

DansMaTete wrote:
i believe you're getting it wrong. Proprieties won't diminish over using when you're re-using solvent after freeze precipitation

You could be absolutely right.

So, at least for what i understood from your answer, my starting doubts remains Smile

Jees
#8 Posted : 5/24/2017 6:16:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Edit: dansmatete was first Big grin

Heulas wrote:
...SeeOn reusing non polar solvents for more infos....
This re-using means that the solvent gets freezed or backsalted (acidic water) so after that it is again open to take deems. What you suggest is not taking the deems out of the solvent after each settling. That is different. You could indeed re-use your 50 ml if you took the deems out of the solvent each time after settling.

I think there must be a 'drive' for the deems to hop into the solvent, if there is already deems in the solvent I presume that this 'drive' is compromised. So even if the solvent is not saturated, it's recipiency might differ according to how many deems it already has. So I think in terms of recipiency according to how much deems it already has. I'm not sure but much points to this effect.

Mindlusion
#9 Posted : 5/24/2017 6:22:51 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

understanding equilibrium, distributions and Le Chatlier's principle will explain all of these questions

https://chem.libretexts.org/Textbook_Maps/General_Chemistry_Textbook_Maps/Map%3A_Chem1_(Lower)/11%3A_Chemical_Equilibrium/11.5%3A_Equilibrium_Calculations#Phase_Distribution_Equilibria
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Heulas
#10 Posted : 5/24/2017 6:31:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mindlusion wrote:
understanding equilibrium, distributions and Le Chatlier's principle will explain all of these questions

As always the real complexity of reality kicks in.

Nope
#11 Posted : 5/24/2017 8:57:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Long, slow, patient pulls. You do not need to heat the nps past room temp. Repeat until there's nothing left. Unless you have access to lab equipment you cannot be sure how much % of what you have are "goodies" and you might be surprised how much you can actually squeeze out.
All posts made by this profile are second hand accounts transcribed through a medium channelling an overly talkative extradimensional entity who wished to remain anonymous

"*laughter* that's the psychedelic mantra, 'I've done it this time!...I must be dead."
-Terence McKenna
"Oh yeah? Well, I once smoked DMT 3 times in 600 years, and I still don't know anything about anything."
-Mister_Niles

Jees
#12 Posted : 5/24/2017 9:45:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Get a strong puller like toluene and pull with that + backsalting.
Thumbs up

pitubo
#13 Posted : 5/25/2017 1:21:04 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Heulas wrote:
It also doesn't anwer my question because Endlessness is referring to the big one pull vs many smaller ones, which is different from the situation i'm thinking of, where there is one pull after 18 mix/separate phases.

There is no "18 mix/separate phases", this counts as one (albeit thorough) mixing of the layers. You are describing doing "one small pull", as opposed to the mentioned "many small pulls" and "one big pull".

Heulas wrote:
So, following the analogy, this is what i'm actually asking: "letting the dishes in the soapy water for a longer time and then washing, isn't equal to rinse and wash for many times?"

Washing dishes is not a very good analogy, because dirt is only on the surface of the dishes. Washing clothes, or rinsing paint brushes is a much better analogy.

What endlessness talks about is washing clothes until there is an equilibrium between the dirt in the washing water and the dirt still in the clothes, then putting these clothes (with the dirt remaining in them) into new, clean washing water and washing until again the an equilibrium is reached between dirt in the water and the dirt in the clothes. After a few iterations of discarding the dirty water and adding new fresh washing water, very little dirt will remain in the clothes, because with every change of the washing water, dirt is removed out of the equilibrium.

What you are describing is to keep washing the dirty clothes in the same small amount of dirty washing water over and over again, never removing any dirt out of the equilibrium. Obviously, that is not going to be very effective to clean the clothes. Doing "many washings with little fresh water each time" is more effective. Even "one washing with one lot of fresh water" will be more effective.

Heulas
#14 Posted : 5/25/2017 1:38:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was suspecting something in my line of thinking was wrong, now i kinda understand what.

Mindlusion
#15 Posted : 5/25/2017 1:46:27 PM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

yes, to sum it up, low volume many washes > high volume low washs. because entropy.
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."