We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Using food dehydrator to dry cubes? Options

downwardsfromzero
#21 Posted : 5/10/2017 10:21:56 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sakkadelic wrote:
Plastic bucket it is, got a main voltage 9x9 50hz fan for 5$ today, 100W bulb would be good?

Spot on.

100W is ample. I've used a 40W compact bulb as I didn't want to melt the (small) bucket, which obviously means the drying takes a bit longer, up to 2 days for three layers of gauze and fairly wet material.

I attached the fan to a plywood plinth with a circular cut-out on the bottom of the bucket. This makes attachment of the legs a more robust affair. There was a bit of a trick to attaching the light bulb holder in the centre of the fan. Stout, insulated, single-strand copper wire sorted it out.

The fan and the bulb were wired in parallel and the flex has a switch in it. Basically like a lamp, which is what it is.

P.S. On occasion I lined the bucket with cake tin rings when using a more powerful bulb but the missus bakes really good cakes so I relented and gave them back!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Sakkadelic
#22 Posted : 5/13/2017 6:26:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I built it Cool a rectangular-horizontal version of it
I will probably use something more convenient to hold the shrooms that's just the first idea i had and realised i could do much better.. i will modify it probably into 4 drawers for shrooms
I let it run for half an hour and the plastic is thick it didn't seem to heat enough to melt..
The bulb is 1 cm away from the center of the fan hopefully it won't be overheated that way and break

Now the only problem is that even though i am using a 100W bulb the temp on the shelf close to the bulb is only getting up to 32 C, it's probably not a big problem and better than using just a fan but i want to raise it above 40 C all the way to the end of the shelf, i could use a 200W bulb but i prefer not to. I am thinking of covering the inner surface from lamp and back with foil to reflect heat, or i can make a bunch of holes in the lid and close it but i don't want to damage the fan with too much back pressure..

What do you think downwardsfromzero?

Edit: opening holes (around 1/8 surface of lid) temp raised to 36 C near bulb and 32 C at the end, fan sounds fine
Update: the shrooms are drying well at these temps and i just added the foil, the temp close to lamp raised to 48 C and at the end to 38 C also this way the plastic is heating less, i'm quite satisfied like this Smile
Sakkadelic attached the following image(s):
20170513_195835-1.jpg (2,419kb) downloaded 107 time(s).
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Northerner
#23 Posted : 5/13/2017 6:43:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Northerner wrote:
should just buy a simple dehydrator... Confused

You know bro... why try to reinvent the wheel?
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Sakkadelic
#24 Posted : 5/13/2017 6:54:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well i bet it wouldn't be easy to find a dehydrator and it wouldn't be cheap in my country since people don't use it(or know it), we dry our local foods in large quantities either in open air or sunlight, i never even knew there was such a thing as a dehydrator until recently... Anyway if i can make it in 6$ then why not? It was fun too. worst case i don't use it, i dry in some other way since my shrooms are almost ready and look for and get a dehydrator once i can.
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Northerner
#25 Posted : 5/13/2017 7:08:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's kind of like buying a scale. If you only intend to grow mushies once or twice... Smile

But I'm just some foreign dude. I know you already know whats happening your side Cool
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Sakkadelic
#26 Posted : 5/13/2017 7:54:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Northerner wrote:
It's kind of like buying a scale. If you only intend to grow mushies once or twice... Smile

But I'm just some foreign dude. I know you already know whats happening your side Cool

Haha, i intend to grow all kinda of shrooms for as long as i live, i'm sure i will get a dehydrator at some point Smile

downwardsfromzero
#27 Posted : 5/16/2017 8:46:44 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sakkadelic wrote:
I built it Cool a rectangular-horizontal version of it

Looks good enough, although mine is arranged vertically. Maybe some of the heat passes over the top of the racks in your arrangement. That said, I was never that bothered about - indeed, I never even measured - the temperature of the device. I just know it dried even large, wet mushrooms satisfactorily within a reasonable timespan.

Northerner wrote:
why try to reinvent the wheel?

I had all the parts anyhow and I like making stuff out of spare parts. Plus it was definitely cheaper than buying a dehydrator. It only took an afternoon - were I earning more in a time-averaged afternoon than the cost of a good dehydrator my decision might have been different.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Sakkadelic
#28 Posted : 5/17/2017 9:07:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I didn't use that shelf here's how i stacked them and it worked well, cracker dry in 24 hrs, with proper drawers i think i can fit 500g in there
I just want to thank you again, i'm glad i went this way instead of fan and dessicant
Sakkadelic attached the following image(s):
20170515_011651.jpg (3,086kb) downloaded 66 time(s).

downwardsfromzero
#29 Posted : 5/18/2017 3:10:43 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's been a real pleasure to help! My kids were also pleased to hear of this as well - "Wow! You helped somebody. Cool!" Very sweet Smile

Plus, the dimmer switch has been located so there'll be a pictorial coming along soon(ish).

Sakkadelic
#30 Posted : 5/18/2017 4:49:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
It's been a real pleasure to help! My kids were also pleased to hear of this as well - "Wow! You helped somebody. Cool!" Very sweet Smile

Plus, the dimmer switch has been located so there'll be a pictorial coming along soon(ish).

Love

TGO
#31 Posted : 5/18/2017 5:20:02 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

DF0, I love the makeshift dehydrator idea! I already own a halfway decent dehydrator but this would be a fun project to try out next time I grow some fungi!

Cool
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

PREV12