We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Upcoming surgery to restore sight Options

null24
#1 Posted : 4/17/2017 3:49:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

I developed cataracts at an extremely young age, not really sure why, but it is what it is. Five years or so ago I had corrective surgery in my right eye but due to insurance regs and changing insurance plans and my own laziness I have only just now gotten the okay to have the left eye done. For thoseunfamiliar, cataract surgery is one of the most performed surgeries in the world, it takesfifteen minutes and the results are amazing.

The procedure is pretty cool: an ultrasound probe is inserted through a tiny incision in the sclera ( white part) of the eye, the vibrations it emits break up the cataract and then it is sucked out using e same device, I think. Then a permanent intra-ocular lens is inserted rolled up, and it unfolds behind the lens, anchred in place by two arms that extend out from it. Upon opening eyes, or actually just regaining awareness from the anasthesia, one can see. I went from 20/650 to 20/30 vision in 15 minutes. Amazing!

So, since then, while the sight in that eye has been better than it ever was, ive gone 100% blind in the left, only able to percieve varying levels of light but neither color nor motion. Of course, it is a flat narrow world. On wednesday this week, im getting the other eye done and anticipate the return of three dimensions and the doubling of my field of vision to produce some cognitive changes as well as perceptual.

Along with simply being a personal announcement (unfortunately, with the recent loss of two very special people from the world, i currently have no real life individuals with whom to share this, yall are it!) I want to record some of those changes here. Gotta run, but ill update this, and if yall have any ?s ill do my best to answer. Peace at ya.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Jees
#2 Posted : 4/17/2017 4:07:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I see you Shocked
Razz
Love

Yumi
#3 Posted : 4/17/2017 5:17:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

May your operation go well and smoothly.
The Snakes Den \m/\m/

" Speak the ancient wisdom of the desert "

null24
#4 Posted : 4/18/2017 3:55:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tomorrow morning, excited. Cant wait to see a 3-D movie!
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Continuum
#5 Posted : 4/18/2017 7:10:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Best of luck, null! Looking forward to hearing the good results. Smile
Forge a Path with Heart <3

tryptographer
#6 Posted : 4/19/2017 4:50:30 AM

tryptamine photographer

Good luck - and go watch Avatar Thumbs up

dragonrider
#7 Posted : 4/19/2017 9:51:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't worry if you feel a bit tired for the next few days. It's the brain rewiring itself to be able to cope with all the new visual stimuli, wich takes some energy. My mother has had this as well, after her eyes where treated. She also had some mild headaches. It's only temporary.

Cognitive Heart
#8 Posted : 4/20/2017 4:38:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hope all goes well with the procedure, null. Smile

Someone I work close with went through a very similar operation recently. Restored sight has enabled him to see clearer but also move around better, and do common things more efficiently than with cataracts interfering with that. His ischemia event from some years ago did quite a lot of harm but restoration of vision is a great start. For anybody, that is. Thumbs up
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

RAM
#9 Posted : 4/20/2017 4:00:59 PM

Hail the keys!

Hope it went well! Smile
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

null24
#10 Posted : 4/20/2017 10:08:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
Don't worry if you feel a bit tired for the next few days. It's the brain rewiring itself to be able to cope with all the new visual stimuli, wich takes some energy. My mother has had this as well, after her eyes where treated. She also had some mild headaches. It's only temporary.

Wow, thats interesting, thanks for the heads up, that could concern me if i didnt know about it.
youre right, its very taxing to my brain, trying to piece together all this info! Its going to take some time, I was bllind in the left eye for five years. Its really hard to get the two images to line up perfectly, but when they do... Wow!

Hopefully it will be sorted by the time Alien Covenant is released next month, lol.

Thanks for the well wishes, it all seems to have gone well. Its a whole new world of gratitude.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

pitubo
#11 Posted : 4/20/2017 11:02:08 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Congratulations. Enjoy! Thumbs up

Another
#12 Posted : 5/12/2017 3:29:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This made me happy to read. Also reminded me to extra- appreciate what I've got, I like those reminders thank you and enjoy Covenant Smile Thumbs up
Don't believe everything you think.

Legarto Rey
#13 Posted : 5/12/2017 9:57:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Best of luck! What a stupendous gift...vision!!

Of note, year round UV protection(good sunglasses) and a diet rich in anti-oxidants and phyto-pigments are evidenced to slow development of cataracts and to offer protection from the common form of macular degeneration.

Peace

null24
#14 Posted : 5/13/2017 12:15:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Legarto Rey wrote:
Best of luck! What a stupendous gift...vision!!

Of note, year round UV protection(good sunglasses) and a diet rich in anti-oxidants and phyto-pigments are evidenced to slow development of cataracts and to offer protection from the common form of macular degeneration.

Peace

Good to know. Still stumped as to the cause of them at such a relatively young age. The doc said I was one of the youngest patients he's seen.

I wonder if all the years of shooting up toxic sludge had anything to do with it...Confused

It took a few days to get used to the new lens, seriously for the first couple evrything was wavy and extremely trippy. Having depth perception is so wonderful, also not having to be aware of what side of people I'm on, and not being so cognizant of my nose, lol! Or being able to see past it, at least literally, ha.

It is something to be grateful for everyday and makes gratitude pretty damn easy to have. From third grade on, I wore glasses for near sightedness, now post surgery, I have 20/30 vision. I can see better than most people now, lol.

There are wonderful things in this world.
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Jees
#15 Posted : 5/13/2017 8:58:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice to read that Thumbs up
null24 wrote:
...There are wonderful things in this world.
The white skirts have their merits.

Spaced Out 2
#16 Posted : 5/14/2017 5:08:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

That's wonderful, and I'm happy to hear null that your sight is restored!Smile