We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
DMT makes me tired... Options

seven7seven
#1 Posted : 11/10/2010 8:30:24 PM

Stewie

Whenever I smoke DMT I get really, really tired. Sometimes, while tripping hard, it feels as though my eyes are being forced shut. Can't keep them open if I tried (I have tried). The forcing of the eyes to shut is rare, but I always get dead tired when I come down. Is this because DMT is associated with sleep (in theory), and it is forcing me into a sleep state? Is DMT just physically draining (maybe depleting neurotransmitters)? Is this a common occurrence? Is DMT even related to dreaming? I'd like to hear what ya'll think.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

vovin
#2 Posted : 11/10/2010 9:38:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

I believes that DMT taxes the resources of the body. Especially long changa experiences. I tend to yawn a great deal and after a experience i am starving and as you say exhausted. It's like running a marathon in the mind.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Apoc
#3 Posted : 11/10/2010 9:41:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my guess would be the effect on serotonin causes a drowsy post trip effect. The effect being an increase in serotonin or serotonin agonist activity, and/or stimulation of related receptors. However, once the effect wears off, I always feel quite refreshed and lively. Especially after ayahuasca.

azrael
#4 Posted : 11/10/2010 10:31:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Coffee helps alleviate this, before or after a launch.

BananaForeskin
#5 Posted : 11/10/2010 10:49:14 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

azrael wrote:

Yeah, coffee helps alleviate most forms of fatigue. Just remember not to mix it with caapi/rue, boys and girls!

I'm definitely exhausted after a lot smoking, and super mellow, although not so much about to fall asleep as you describe. It's actually quite similar to my response to hard exercise; I think vovin is right in that it's similar to running a marathon... just mental.
¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸โ€žø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 11/11/2010 6:13:43 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

BananaForeskin wrote:
azrael wrote:

Yeah, coffee helps alleviate most forms of fatigue. Just remember not to mix it with caapi/rue, boys and girls!

Those harmaloids are RIMAs, not pharmaceutical MAOIs, so it's not really a big deal...
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

Global
#7 Posted : 11/11/2010 7:13:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I'm not sure if melatonin levels increase when DMT levels increase, but if they do, this could provide a possible explanation as well.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

mumbles
#8 Posted : 11/12/2010 5:16:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't think the yawning is from tiredness. Swim always yawns from tryptamines.

dream_denizen
#9 Posted : 11/12/2010 3:32:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think it's definitely mentally tasking. Although one may be gone 15 minutes, it sometimes will feel like hours of intensity, trying really hard to absorb as much as possible. This might explain the fatigue felt in dmt's after-effects.

Metashaman
#10 Posted : 5/3/2017 6:19:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

seven7seven wrote:
Whenever I smoke DMT I get really, really tired. Sometimes, while tripping hard, it feels as though my eyes are being forced shut. Can't keep them open if I tried (I have tried). The forcing of the eyes to shut is rare, but I always get dead tired when I come down. Is this because DMT is associated with sleep (in theory), and it is forcing me into a sleep state? Is DMT just physically draining (maybe depleting neurotransmitters)? Is this a common occurrence? Is DMT even related to dreaming? I'd like to hear what ya'll think.

I found this looking for myself.
I have an overwhelming "need to sleep" especially if I fail to break through. Even on Ayahuasca I get so extremely tired during the onset.. so much so I have had to do the "hold my head with my arms so my head will hit the floor and wake me up if I pass out" positions every time now.
Creator of PS.. Home of the Jester and the Akashic Record (DMT Monster Manual).
If Chat is down here, feel free to take refuge in Experience Report Chat til it's back up.

Jees
#11 Posted : 5/3/2017 7:50:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

* During ceremony: smoking mapacho tobacco and some even digest a spoon of powdered coca leaves now and then, is not rare in south America, for a reason.

* A tiny drop of Ambil (mapacho tobacco concentrated syrup) on your tongue. Ding-dong you're back in business Shocked

* Drinking a tobacco ceremony in the morning (sober) then in the evening you burst trough the aya ceremony with an overhead of power Thumbs up
Only to be done with a LOT of expertise, tobacco poisoning is no joke Stop

Naut
#12 Posted : 5/4/2017 4:32:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It varies for me, sometimes I become worn briefly and others I don't. I guess this also depends personally (aka for me) on dosage. Typically, 15-20mg can throw me into a light roller-coaster that leaves me pondering the beautiful idea of a nap.
Also, I've taken multiple low doses consecutively within an hour period and that certainly concludes a tired mind.
my loopy guess is that t. mckenna is off hopping about hyperspace wielding a butterfly net analog, all the while collecting the most peculiar.

syberdelic
#13 Posted : 5/4/2017 5:18:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have never got this tiredness from DMT. After coming down from Ayahuasca, I had a little trouble sleeping.

I also doubt this effect is because of mental taxation. My partner always gets sleepy from both DMT and Ayahuasca But she has never felt any of this mental taxation that most of us do. I would suspect that it probably has something to do with melatonin.

DmnStr8
#14 Posted : 5/4/2017 5:24:16 AM

Come what may

I am always pumped up after a DMT journey!! I get the yawns on all psychedelics as a physical reaction but my mind is always very alert and excited.
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

RabidLabMouse
#15 Posted : 5/5/2017 12:34:57 AM

Half in jest, all in seriousness.

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one!

I don't get.. sleepy, necessarily. Hm. How to explain it? When I'm coming down, I feel warm, safe, content. I feel like I'm on a hammock swaying in a light breeze under a gentle, warm sun. Perfect temperature, perfect comfort, like everything went right with my day and I've got nothing further I have to do so it's time for a nap!

I feel no drive or urgency to get up and do anything but lay there and just.. I dunno, bask in the afterglow. I've never actually fallen asleep afterward, mostly because Syberdelic is right there wanting to talk about whatever I experienced but I have the sneaking suspicion that if I did manage to take a nap right after, it would be the best of my life.

Of course, I'm an insomniac and I get my best sleep during naps in the daytime. I love naps. That probably factors in, heh.

JamesGang
#16 Posted : 10/13/2018 3:29:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Big grin

Floood
#17 Posted : 10/15/2018 11:50:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

im such a noob lol

Floood
#18 Posted : 10/15/2018 11:56:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I wonder if it's because the molecule is very close to tryptophan which is the substance in dark meat like turkey legs that also makes you sleepy. I wonder if that's why mushrooms do the same thing, because that molecule is also very close. Tryptamine yawns. IDK

SpoonFed
#19 Posted : 7/15/2021 7:44:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I also always get the nice afterglow and the yawns, after that beautiful and refresed. Today for the first time after I came back i got fatigued and passed out. Kind of worried me, i stood up and went down like a sack of potatoes. The only thing I can think of it's the high altitude (1900m) although I've done that before even 3200m. Can it have something to do with being a fat ass? I drink also a lot the night before(not with dmt) i like to wake and bake my dmt, maybe morning daze or hangover?
I saw giant tree size caterpillars coming down vulcanos.
PS: After my little pass out i still feel beautiful and refresed, like I'm in a postcard for a perfect day. Yeah it's sweet.

Have a nice trip everyone.

bismillah
#20 Posted : 7/16/2021 3:09:10 PM

My Personalized Tag

I always feel a lot better after DMT. When I did it a couple times after a hard day of labour it was like the most relaxed, most refreshed I'd ever felt (I can remember only one day in my whole life when I truly slept well, so this means a lot coming from me). It was a drowsy feeling, but after coming down I felt like I just woke up from a nap.

Eating rue seeds made me tired.
I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want a clever signature.

12NEXT