We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Observing close eye visuals as a means of monitoring brainwave states during meditation? Options

justB612
#1 Posted : 4/26/2017 10:05:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey

When ever I meditate, after 5-10 minutes I can get to a state of calm consciousness where my closed eye visual dots (that come from hppd i think) start to flow in waves.

Does anyone have any information as to how to get into deeper states when meditating, how to measure that, what amount of time would one need to get lower?

Could I take this (the fact that the dots start weirdly flowing but dang its hard to describe) as a sign of theta waves maybe?

I'm guessing the cheap ebay instruments aren't accurate in this area? Or someone has experience?

Thanks Smile
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 4/27/2017 5:18:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not quite certain what it is that you are trying to ask...would you care to elaborate?

Miscellaneous regarding Buddhism/meditation/psychedelics

Quote:
Over the centuries humans from across the globe have employed the respectful use of psychoactive substances in seeking insight into the nature of mind and consciousness. The effects of Buddhist meditation and psychedelic drugs have a number of parallels, including increasing the value of the present moment, deepening levels of awareness and increasing compassion and loving-kindness. The most prominent of these effects is deconditioning habitual identification with the incessant arising of thought, emotions and sensations. A better understanding of the relationship between psychedelic drugs and meditation could provide important guidance on how a weaving of psychedelic use with meditative trainings might, for some practitioners, serve deep emotional healing and spiritual awakening." - Tara Brach, 2014

Heffter institute spirituality research:
http://heffter.org/spirituality/

Quote:
Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University are seeking individuals with a regular, long-term meditation practice to participate in a research study looking at the combined effects of meditation and psilocybin, a psychoactive substance found in sacramental mushrooms of some cultures. Volunteers must be between the ages of 25 and 80, have no personal or familial history of severe psychiatric illness, or recent history of alcoholism or drug abuse.
http://www.hopkinsmeditation.com/
http://heffter.org/spirituality/

-eg

AwesomeUsername
#3 Posted : 4/28/2017 1:23:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know what you mean. I'm also not sure if this is supposed to be happening or is it hppd. It is interesting either way.

I am not aware you can capture those visuals in any way, but you could potentially mediate longer and try to remember them and then draw it.

My visuals are usually too fast changing for me to get even bothered to draw them and turn them into some art. Even if I wanted to, there is no technology I know of as advanced to be able to replicate them since they are way to complex.

What I noticed with those visuals is that they largely depend on imagination, you don't navigate what they look like but you could in which direction they go in.

Meditation is one good way to change your current state of mind without the use of drugs, it can be way more powerful than most people thought it can be but it also requires some patience and effort on your part.

It may not be an overly productive hobby, but it is not destructive and can be lots of fun too. Sometimes those visions can be meaningful, like psychedelic trips so pay attention to that.

Good luck! I hope you find something useful.

DmnStr8
#4 Posted : 4/28/2017 2:53:45 AM

Come what may

When I meditate my only intention is to sit and observe. I follow no thought. I follow no visions. I simply watch and sit with a straight back.

A shamanic journey is more for the mind to create and follow ideas and thoughts and visions. More of a trance like state to be sure. I like to see how lost I can get into my creative mind. I let it loose and follow anything that resonates with me. Being in trance like state allows the intellect to take a back seat for a bit.

It took some practice before I could imagine something and I could see it in my minds eye. If effort is given to it, it seems impossible. As soon as you relax into it and just allow it to present itself however it wants, then it becomes something you can really experience. A vision. It's all creative thinking. I find it enjoyable and it is pretty much like daydreaming. It's amazing what the mind creates when it's let loose.

I have had visions and visualizations with meditation and shamamic journey. Meditation the visions were fleeting. Just there for a moment and then gone. Shamanic journey the visions can be followed and transformed with imagination.

Check into meditation tools like binaural beats, shamanic drumming, chanting, etc.. Check into meditation machines. I never tried one but I hear they can provide a deeper meditative state. Try using different colors of noise. You can find noise generators online and I know they have a bunch on youtube, or you can purchase noise machines. I have a white noise machine that I enjoy. I would add that I have used all sorts of different color noises during DMT trips and enjoyed it. These are non intrusive sounds, and the constant noise allows for grounding. I find it soothing and calming.

Anyhow... hope one of these suggestions is helpful.

Have a great day!

"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

dragonrider
#5 Posted : 4/28/2017 10:03:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Meditating into 'deeper' states takes practice. Once you've become a little experienced with meditation, getting into a deeper 'theta-state' is fairly easy and the transition from alfa to theta would not have to take more than half a minute.

The best way of telling whether you've entered a 'deeper' state or not is simply by checking how you feel. If you feel deeply relaxed then you have succeeded. If not, then you haven't. Sometimes you may become so relaxed that you no longer feel your body, but that doesn't Always happen.

Bancopuma
#6 Posted : 4/28/2017 3:45:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey dude, I know what you mean, I get this too...pitch blackness for me at night say is never pitch black behind closed eyelids. You may be want to look into Sant Mat/Surat shabd meditation, aka yogic meditation on the inner light and sound. There is a book by Rajinder Singh on this 'Inner and Outer Peace through Meditation'.

The concept of phasing may also be of interest.

http://www.unlimitedboun...5/xanths-phasing-method/

Use any name
#7 Posted : 4/28/2017 4:29:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Maybe also check out Aleister Crowley's 8 lectures on yoga.

justB612
#8 Posted : 4/30/2017 6:26:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for all the replies.

Yes, I was talking about the change of the HPPD (for me) visuals during meditation. They morph and it's fun! It takes me a good 10 minutes to get that deep, no idea if I can do it in a few minutes...

I'm using meditation to bring back memories of joy from childhood. With some certain supplements as bacopa, and black seed oil, it works just fine. Nice to see the community doing these practices Very happy

Just a quick side question? How many minutes do people here meditate daily? In the morning or?

I'm planning to go 90 minutes, 3x 30 in the morning, around 12 and before sleep.

I've also read a recent study that drinking coffee before workout increases testosterone. Any ideas on meditation? Binarual beats sound nice.
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

entheogenic-gnosis
#9 Posted : 5/3/2017 3:49:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

justB612 wrote:
Thank you for all the replies.

Yes, I was talking about the change of the HPPD (for me) visuals during meditation. They morph and it's fun! It takes me a good 10 minutes to get that deep, no idea if I can do it in a few minutes...

I'm using meditation to bring back memories of joy from childhood. With some certain supplements as bacopa, and black seed oil, it works just fine. Nice to see the community doing these practices Very happy

Just a quick side question? How many minutes do people here meditate daily? In the morning or?

I'm planning to go 90 minutes, 3x 30 in the morning, around 12 and before sleep.

I've also read a recent study that drinking coffee before workout increases testosterone. Any ideas on meditation? Binarual beats sound nice.

Ok, I think I have a better idea of what you are saying.

I enjoy binaural beats and isochronic tones during meditation and sleep, however, there is a lot of nonsense out there, quality makes a huge difference. In my opinion, binaural beats and isochronic tones are worth exploration, though I have talked with others who are less enthusiastic regarding them, regardless, it can't hurt to give them a try.

I enjoy binaural beats and isochronic tones in combination with a dreamachine.

As a youth, I had to take a "Closed Eye EEG Strobe Test", the strobing light created intense colors and fractal patterns on the back of my eyelids, eventually I reached a fairly hallucinatory state, just through these flashing lights.

...later down the road I discovered a "dreamachine" which is basically a home-made version of the device used in the Closed Eye EEG Strobe Test, and discovered I could use this device fir meditation and consciousness exploration.

( A "mind-machine" is a dreamachine in combination with binaural beats and isochronic tones, it's essentially a pre-made version of what I am doing. )

Quote:
A Dreamachine is "viewed" with the eyes closed: the pulsating light stimulates the optic nerve and thus alters the brain's electrical oscillations. Users experience increasingly bright, complex patterns of color behind their closed eyelids (a similar effect may be experienced as a car passenger; close your eyes as the car passes through flickering shadows cast by roadside trees). The patterns become shapes and symbols, swirling around, until the user feels surrounded by colors. It is claimed that by using a Dreamachine one may enter a hypnagogic state.[4] This experience may sometimes be quite intense, but to escape from it, one needs only to open one's eyes. -Wikipedia

-eg