We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dextromethorphan: An update on its utility for neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders Options

Godsmacker
#1 Posted : 4/16/2017 8:54:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I found this following article whilst I was perusing pubmed, and I thought that the data presented in this review amused me, and I figured i'd share it with my fellow researchers.

Selah,
God
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

AlchemicalGnostic
#2 Posted : 4/16/2017 4:24:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You have to be careful with dxm in cough and cold medicines. The antihistamines in them are very dangerous at high doses. If an opportunity did come up to do dxm, make sure it's in its pure crystalline form and still be super careful.

I had a buddy who used CCC's recreationally for years until one day he ODs. And now his son has to grow up not knowing his dad.

Just be careful with this stuff.
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 4/16/2017 4:58:40 PM
DMT-Nexus member

AlchemicalGnostic wrote:
You have to be careful with dxm in cough and cold medicines. The antihistamines in them are very dangerous at high doses. If an opportunity did come up to do dxm, make sure it's in its pure crystalline form and still be super careful.

I had a buddy who used CCC's recreationally for years until one day he ODs. And now his son has to grow up not knowing his dad.

Just be careful with this stuff.

I'll start by saying I think the abuse of these compounds is a shame, there's high risk with little benefit, and in most cases it is young children or those without access to other substances who abuse these over the counter compounds, many tragedies have resulted. It's not a pleasing situation by any means.

CCC's are Coricidin, not dextromethorphan.

Most who use dextromethorphan will use it in its pure form, rather than abusing syrups.

When I was very very young I would mix dextromethorphan syrup in a Separtory funnel* with 1/3 volume naphtha, and 2/3 volume ammonia, which was vigorously shaken then the layers were allowed to separate. The dextromethorphan can then be obtained by collecting and evaporating the naphtha layer.

*one of my uncle's or some relative was a chemist, and I had access to some of his old equipment which was left in storage with my parents. In this case I found a 1L Pyrex separtory funnel, fully functional.

I never consumed the stuff, but at that age its an easy experiment. You feel like a mad scientist or a drug king-pin, fun stuff for a child

Dextromethorphan is a mild μ-, δ-, and κ opioid receptor agonist and can aide opioid dependant individuals in withdrawal.

This compounds abuse likely stems from it's dissociative effects facilitated by antagonist action at the uncompetitive NMDA receptor.

It's an interesting compound from a research perspective, though it's not something I would have interest in consuming unless it was for legitimate medical purposes.

I did not read the article referenced by the original poster yet, but will soon.

-eg

Mod wrote:
Edited by Moderator. No discussion of buying/selling/sourcing.

AlchemicalGnostic
#4 Posted : 4/17/2017 5:07:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
CCC's are Coricidin, not dextromethorphan

Coricidin is the brand and has dextromethorphan in it and is the one with the lowest amount of antihistamines in it as well.

I've had phenomenal breakthroughs on dextromethorphan(sadly on ccc's). It Really is a powerful substance. On one trip I was in front of a very small planet and as Im looking at this planet people who I know, their faces would pop up one by one and frown at me,presumably for doing ccc's.

I've never done a dxm extraction but that is definitely in my to do list but not any time soon.

It really is sad how some people have to resort to these because they can be easily boughten practically anywhere but they have no idea you can also easily extract the compound.

"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 4/17/2017 3:00:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

AlchemicalGnostic wrote:
Quote:
CCC's are Coricidin, not dextromethorphan

Coricidin is the brand and has dextromethorphan in it and is the one with the lowest amount of antihistamines in it as well.

I've had phenomenal breakthroughs on dextromethorphan(sadly on ccc's). It Really is a powerful substance. On one trip I was in front of a very small planet and as Im looking at this planet people who I know, their faces would pop up one by one and frown at me,presumably for doing ccc's.

I've never done a dxm extraction but that is definitely in my to do list but not any time soon.

It really is sad how some people have to resort to these because they can be easily boughten practically anywhere but they have no idea you can also easily extract the compound.

CCC's contain chlorpheniramine maleate, dextromethorphan, acetaminophen and guaifenesin. In my experience "CCC" always specifically means coricidin brand, rather than just DXM.

I'm pretty sure you can get pure DXM.

I preformed the extraction when I was quite young, it's more than easy, however I never consumed the end product, I preformed the extraction because it was a simple experiment, and being under 18 I was limited to obtaining supplies at the super-market. DXM syrup, naphtha, and ammonia can all be cheaply purchased at a single store...

my parents were not exactly supportive of my fondness of chemistry...

I remember as a middle schooler brining them into the basement one afternoon, brimming with excitement. "you guys have to see this!" I exclaimed.
...On the table I had a test tube on a stand full of KClO3 (potassium chlorate) and a burner, I proceeded to heat the test tube until the KClO3 was molten, then with some tongs I grabbed a gummy bear, and dropped it into the molten KClO3...
...This experiment should be preformed under a hood, not in a basement, and needless to say my parents reaction to my "gummy bear torch" was to ban all chemistry from the house...

...so I had to be sneaky, only performing simple experiments with household materials, and only experiments which were safe and relatively free of hazzard. This is where DXM extraction came in, after finding the separtory funnel in storage everything else was either in my house already or at the super-market.

It was a simple extraction, which was fun to preform, I always enjoyed watching the layers separate, then repeatedly agitating the mixture, then letting it settle into layers again. All the coloring and other materials remain in the ammonia layer, which is is drained from the funnel and disposed of, the naphtha layer is collected and evaporated giving DXM.

...This topic brought back some old memories, so I looked it up online, the extraction I saw outlined online was pretty terrible. They were using zip-lock bags for a separatory funnel (never do this), and they were recommending using more ammonia than was necessary.

The online work-ups listed an extra step I was not aware of, it involves shaking the naphtha/DXM layer with lemon juice, then saving and collecting the lemon juice/DXM (bottom) layer while discarding the upper naphtha layer. This is interesting, but what's the plan there? To drink the lemon juice/DXM? Why not just evaporate the naphtha obtaining a DXM powder? It seemed ridiculous, but the chemistry was interesting.

-eg

Mod wrote:
Edited by Moderator. No discussion of buying/selling/sourcing.

dragonrider
#6 Posted : 4/17/2017 4:58:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like pharmacologically, although the experience is quite different in my opinion, DXM shares a lot of properties with ibogaïne.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 4/18/2017 2:47:56 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

had a third plateau experience on hbr powder. lots of nausea. there are far better nmda-antags to be had, like esket. dextro is garbage.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

entheogenic-gnosis
#8 Posted : 4/24/2017 6:19:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
Looks like pharmacologically, although the experience is quite different in my opinion, DXM shares a lot of properties with ibogaïne.

Structurally DXM resembles morphine.

Pharmocologically, dextromethorphan only weakly affects opioid receptors and is only a weak antagonists of the NMDA receptor....

Quote:

Dextromethorphan has been shown to possess the following properties, mainly in binding assays to various receptors of animal tissues. Low Ki values mean strong binding or high affinity; high Ki values mean weak binding to the target or low affinity:

Uncompetitive NMDA receptor (PCP site) antagonist (Ki = 7,253 nM).[22]

σ1 (Ki = 150 nM) and σ2 sigma receptor (Ki = 11,060 nM) agonist.[22]

α3β4-, α4β2-, and α7-nACh receptor (Ki = in the μM range) antagonist. Dextromethorphan binds to nicotinic receptors in frog eggs (Xenopus oocytes), human embryonic kidney cells and mouse tissue. It inhibits the antinociceptive (pain killing) action of nicotine in the tail-flick test in mice, where mouse tails are exposed to heat, which makes the mouse flick its tail if it feels pain.[23][24][25]

μ-, δ-, and κ-opioid receptor agonist (Ki = 1,280 nM, 11,500 nM, and 7,000 nM, respectively)[26]
SERT and NET inhibitor (Ki = 23 nM and 240 nM, respectively)[4][26][27][28]
NADPH oxidase inhibitor.[29]
Nav1.2 channel blocker[30]

Its affinities for some of the sites listed are relatively very low and are probably insignificant, such as binding to NMDA receptors and opioid receptors, even at high recreational doses.[citation needed] Instead of acting as a direct antagonist of the NMDA receptor itself, dextromethorphan likely functions as a prodrug to its nearly 10-fold more potent metabolite dextrorphan, and this is the true mediator of its dissociative effects.[31] What role, if any, (+)-3-methoxymorphinan, dextromethorphan's other major metabolite, plays in its effects is not entirely clear.

It appears dextromethorphan's metabolite dextrorphan is the antagonist of the NMDA receptor responsible for dissociative effects produced.

I've never taken ibogaine so I can not compare the two.

However, ibogaine affects these receptor sites:

-κ-opioid
-μ-opioid
-δ-opioid
-NMDA
-5-HT2A
-5-HT2C
-5-HT3
-σ1
-σ2

Any way, I lost my thread on where I was going with this, I would say that there be slightly similar pharmacology, though ultimately I would not compare the two.

both ibogaine and DXM have been said to aid in opioid withdrawal. Alkaloids from voacanga africana are also used for this purpose, sometimes in combination with ibogaine...

....ibogaines action at the kappa opioid receptor may give it some salvinorin-a similar effect.

-eg