We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Conversion of freebase dmt into 5-meo-dmt Options

GuruD
#21 Posted : 4/23/2017 4:45:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

hi again dreamer,

I've actually decided to with the Phalaris aquatica var. stenoptera, because as you mentioned it contains both 5-meo-dmt and dmt, with a slightly higher concentration of 5-meo-dmt. This sounds perfect. I found a great place online which sells these live plants for a very reasonable price, and also, I cannot find the bracystachys variety online that you mentioned; I can only find seeds for it. I would much rather buy live plants and then grow them to maturity.

regarding 69ron's posts about 5-meo-dmt, yes I had read those before. I'm glad you cleared that up for me, thanks.

I am going to purchase several phalaris aquatica var. stenoptera plants to grow to maturity. I spoke with a very knowledgeable person about extraction from the grass which indicated that simply juicing fresh grass and mixing with pickling lime at the proper ratio and making into a paste and drying it out would be sufficient to have a potent, smokable product.

This to me would be perfect. To buy small plants that I could grow and take care of myself, then eventually extract 5-meo-dmt and dmt from them.

I wish I could find live plants of Phalaris brachystachys online somewhere, but I haven't thus far. But Phalaris aquatica var. stenoptera seems incredible as well.

Thanks for the invaluable knowledge and take care Thumbs up
Yew ken knot mayk mi knull bee kuhz eye am gohd sew kyndli phuhk awf withe yor knahtzee skair taktiks

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#22 Posted : 4/23/2017 5:12:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Apologies for the tangent here, but:
entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
You may want to pick up a copy of TIHKAL by Alexander shulgin[...] PIHKaL[...]

Please give ANN Shulgin the credit she so rightly deserves as co-author of these works.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

GuruD
#23 Posted : 4/23/2017 6:49:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

^^^^^^^

this really has nothing to do with the thread
Yew ken knot mayk mi knull bee kuhz eye am gohd sew kyndli phuhk awf withe yor knahtzee skair taktiks

dreamer042
#24 Posted : 4/23/2017 7:16:49 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Stenoptera is a good choice, the literature on that strain is collected here a little moar than halfway down the page. You are unlikely to find clones of brachystachys for sale because it's an annual rather than a perennial, but it's easy enough to grow from seed.

I'd advise skipping the juicing step. I did some experiments where I juiced the grass in a wheatgrass juicer and extracted from the juice and boiled and extracted the masticated leftovers. The juice only had about 30% of the alkaloids, the masticated leftovers had the other 70%. To get the majority of your alkaloids you are going to have to boil the leftover material anyway, so you might as well just boil all of it off the bat and not bother with the extremely tedious process of attempting to juice it for the simple sake of not making an already difficult process require any extra time and effort than it already takes.

You also don't just wanna add a bunch of lime to the juice and attempt to smoke that. If you were to go that route, you'd want to use a solvent to pull the alkaloids from the juice/base mix and evap or precipate the solvent to collect only the alkaloids for smoking, leaving all that lung damaging tarry grass gunk and hydroxide behind.

Be warned now, growing, harvesting, and extracting the grass is A LOT of effort. Fertlizing and harvesting regimens need to be carefully observed (and ideally documented as we are strongly lacking good data in this area). If you don't take care in the process you can end up putting a whole bunch of effort into a grass that is completely devoid of tryptamines (ask me how I know Rolling eyes ) . Honestly attempting to get your hands on some of the 5-MeO-DMT containing acacia strains is probably a much moar realistically viable route if you want to end up with an actual product for the effort and not just do it for the challenge/research.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

JAi
#25 Posted : 4/23/2017 7:51:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Seems like why even mess with trying to extract virola bark if it can be ramped up orally.

GuruD
#26 Posted : 4/23/2017 8:32:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I couldn't find any iinformation about any acacia species that contain 5-meo-dmt.

I guess there's no way that I can do an extraction of these plants because I cannot obtain them.

And after considering what you said, I don't think I want to grow several phalaris plants out to fully maturity from when they are just 3 or 4 inches tall, and only have a few leaves/blades.

and it's indeed hard work, time consuming, and expensive to maintain a large amphibian in an artifical environment, not to mention the animal probably silently objecting to it...

What can i do? How else can I procure 5-meo-dmt?

also, I got ripped off when seeking plants from an untrustworthy online vendor. I won't go into detail about it except that I got ripped off.

ok thanks and have a good day

Mod wrote:
Edited by Moderator. Please no discussion of buying/selling/sourcing dried botanicals. Live plants and viable seeds only.

downwardsfromzero
#27 Posted : 4/23/2017 9:36:32 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

GuruD wrote:
^^^^^^^

this really has nothing to do with the thread

Nor does your, or indeed this post... Wink

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

GuruD
#28 Posted : 4/23/2017 11:05:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sure it does

The thread is about 5-meo-dmt, not giving literary credits to random authors.

entheogenic-gnosis
#29 Posted : 4/24/2017 2:05:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Please give ANN Shulgin the credit she so rightly deserves as co-author of these works.

Hmmm....I suppose I did leave her out, however the chemistry is all sasha, Ann and others contributed to the qualitative comments, and Ann wrote chapters in the biography section, however when it comes to the chemistry, it's sasha I think of first...I mean, Tania manning never gets much credit, and look at all she has done. Any way, I was not intentionally trying to leave Ann out, and were it not for the sake of brevity I might have included her name.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#30 Posted : 4/24/2017 2:19:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

These plants all contain only (or mostly) 5-meo-DMT.

Delosperma hallii contains 5-meo-DMT as an active tryptamine.

As does Delosperma nubigenum,

...and Acacia auriculiformis which has 5-MeO-DMT in stem bark

....acacia farnesiana has Traces of 5-MeO-DMT in its fruit.

Desmodium racemosum contains 5-MEO-DMT...

...Phyllodium pulchellum (syn. Desmodium pulchellum) contains 0.2% 5-MeO-DMT, and very small quantities of DMT...5-MEO-DMT dominates in mature plant.

Dictyoloma incanescens, 5-MeO-DMT in leaves and 0.04% 5-MeO-DMT in bark.

Dutaillyea drupacea contains 0.4% 5-MeO-DMT in leaves.

Dutaillyea oreophila contains 5-MeO-DMT in leaves.

Rutaceae sp Tetradium ruticarpum(syn. Evodia rutaecarpa), 5-MeO-DMT in leaves, fruit and roots.

Limonia acidissima syn Limonia elephantum or Fernonia limonia (wood-apple) in Talakona forest, Limonia acidissima, 5-MeO-DMT in stems

Euodia leptococca (formerly Melicope) contains 0.2% total alkaloids, 0.07% 5-MeO-DMT; 5-MeO-DMT in leaves and stems, also "5-MeO-DMT-Oxide and a beta-carboline"

Pilocarpus organensis contains 5-MeO-DMT in leaves.

Keep in mind that some of these sources contain a rather low amount of 5-meo-DMT, these are just suggestions, there are many options, again, TIHKAL has a chapter called "DMT is everywhere" which covers all this.

-eg

GuruD
#31 Posted : 4/24/2017 3:27:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the valuable info. I think I will try and find the plant Dutaillyea drupacea as this one seems to have the highest concentration of 5-meo-dmt, after of course phalaris brachystachys and aquatica. I wish i could find DRIED plants somewhere that contain 5-meo-dmt in reasonable quantities. But I cannot, anywhere.

thanks gain,

entheogenic-gnosis
#32 Posted : 4/24/2017 4:18:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

GuruD wrote:
thanks for the valuable info. I think I will try and find the plant Dutaillyea drupacea as this one seems to have the highest concentration of 5-meo-dmt, after of course phalaris brachystachys and aquatica. I wish i could find DRIED plants somewhere that contain 5-meo-dmt in reasonable quantities. But I cannot, anywhere.

thanks gain,

There are some Delosperma species which contain 5-meo-DMT which are sold as house plants.

I was thinking the same about Dutaillyea Drupacea, though I will admit that I know very little about this plant.

Again, some of these options listed may not contain enough 5-meo-DMT to be practical for extraction, but we're listed as suggestions or potential leads.

....I guess the point was that there are options if you are willing to look.

-eg

Aum_Shanti
#33 Posted : 4/24/2017 7:15:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
Be wary of 69ron's information on Virola/5-MeO-DMT [...]

I personally cannot believe and am hesitant to say that everything he said over the years was just nonsense.
(at least I could verify in the meantime some minor things he said, and these were genuine)
So until someone here made serious tests about how sensitive 5-MeO-DMT is and also it's solubility, I personally rather tend to be cautious. But everybody is free to decide for himself.
I would actually expect just theoretically that it is more sensitive to high PHs than DMT.
To verify this thorough tests would be needed, as just getting something from an extraction doesn't mean, that it didn't kill part of the yield or if everything was pulled, etc.

dreamer042 wrote:
The old literature reports up to 3% alkaloids in P. brachystachys, but that is in seedlings which always seem have a higher tryptamine-per-weight ratio. Actually growing bulk quantity for extraction don't expect such high yields, but they should still be reasonably viable. It is a good choice for further exploration in any case.

What original source does this 3% value come from?
Reading this thread (https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=707296#post707296) I thought it was a misinterpretation once done, where someone didn't understand what mg% means (mg/100g). So the actual value would have been 0.3%.
So I would be very interested if this 3% value is now really correct or not.

About other unconventional sources: I say go for it! The more knowledge we can gain the better.
I would just be aware, that if you have a source plant, not generally used, I would make sure to first make a decent *C/MS analysis of it, as some plant sources contain some nasty other alkaloids you wouldn't wanna get into your system.

Edit:
In this relation, although a bit offtopic: Anyone by accident knows, what exactly is in Desmodium gangeticum, also called "saumya" ("rich in Soma juice"Pleased.
Edit2: Ah sorry, found it!
https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Desmodium_gangeticum
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

downwardsfromzero
#34 Posted : 4/24/2017 10:14:24 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

downwardsfromzero wrote:

Hmmm....I suppose I did leave her out, however the chemistry is all sasha, Ann and others contributed to the qualitative comments, and Ann wrote chapters in the biography section, however when it comes to the chemistry, it's sasha I think of first...I mean, Tania manning never gets much credit, and look at all she has done. Any way, I was not intentionally trying to leave Ann out, and were it not for the sake of brevity I might have included her name.

-eg

Fair enough, the online version is pretty much down to Sasha. I was feeling a bit off - as described round here somewhere :shrug:

Meanwhile back on (mildly deviated) topic:

Jim deKorne describes an adverse, allergy-like reaction to one of the 5-MeO plants. That Giant reed? Arundo donax. Another 5-MeO-containing species worth a look, though.

Pilocarpus organensis should be approached with caution, plants in the same genus contain the toxic alkaloid pilocarpine and misidentification would be a real hazard.

Aum_Shanti
#35 Posted : 4/25/2017 8:32:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Pilocarpus organensis should be approached with caution, plants in the same genus contain the toxic alkaloid pilocarpine and misidentification would be a real hazard.

If only it would be available at all. I don't know of anyone successfully getting hands on such a plant. So to anyone in the specific geolocation (In forests and cerrado, 10-850m; Brazil [Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo (rare), Parana and Santa Catarina]): Quite some people would be very interested in growing this plant.

Arundo Donax seems to have quite some alkaloid mix in there (Bufotenine, 5-MeO-NMT, DMT, Gramine, ..., [but no 5-MeO-DMT???]), of which some do not seem very pleasant (e.g. bufotenidine, dehydrobufotenine)
(Source: Garden of Eden, Voogelbreinder)
Here a thread on it: https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=34338
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

entheogenic-gnosis
#36 Posted : 4/27/2017 2:40:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

-eg

Fair enough, the online version is pretty much down to Sasha. I was feeling a bit off - as described round here somewhere :shrug:

Meanwhile back on (mildly deviated) topic:

Jim deKorne describes an adverse, allergy-like reaction to one of the 5-MeO plants. That Giant reed? Arundo donax. Another 5-MeO-containing species worth a look, though.

I'm guessing that arundo donax was the "allergy reaction" 5-meo-DMT plant described by dekorne.

Quote:
The only report I've received to date on Arundo donax resulted in a moderate allergic reaction in the user, with no apparent psycho- activity. The chromatographs I've seen on specimens collected in Texas and New Mexico have shown very little, if any, DMT content- There is a variagated variety of A. donax native to the Middle-East which possibly contains a higher percentage of alkaloids. The problem with both Desmanthus and A. donax is that you have to
sacrifice a mature perennial plant just to extract the root. For this reason, Phalaris seems like a better bet, since one is then only extracting grass clippings.
— Ed

source

Quote:
IVe felt that Arundo donax is a red herring for some. Almost all written material discussing the use of it with P. harmala indicates "allergic reaction." The Dictionary of Sacred and Magical Plants, by Christian Ratsch says the roots of A. donax contain approximately 3% DMT and a percentage of Bufotenine. This might be the source of the nausea. Perhaps the roots could be juiced and dried and smoked. The ancient Vedic scholars knew the difference between
hives and enlightenment. I've never used A. donax, and after reading the various reports, I will not. I al ready have allergies and have had a couple of serious breathing problems and don't see the need to hallucinate and have trouble breathing. An unruly patch of A. donax can be killed off by using dry ice and ammonia. My own patch was killed in 1994 after ice storms and twenty-below zero temperatures. — RS, DE

-The Entheogen Review, Vernal Equinox, 1996

Quote:
..I'm not thrilled with Arundo donax; according to the Rosetta article I read, it contains significant amounts of bufotenidine — a chemical the article details as demonstrating a "curare-like" toxicity.
source

Quote:
PRELIMINARY REPORT ON TWO
AYAHUASCA ANALOGUES

...I ingested one gram of P. harmala extract with 50 mg of an A. donax extraction. No psychoactivity, but did get a medium allergic reaction. Within an hour I noticed that my vision was impaired: there was some difficulty in focusing on the print in a magazine. Later, my eyes felt watery and eyelids swollen. The next day, I had a medium conjunctivitis, with occasional hives appearing on my body. It took three days for these symptoms to go away.

Later in the week I ate 125 mg of harmala extract and 50 mg of a Phalaris grass extraction. No allergic reaction this time, and there was definite psychoactivity in the potion, unfortunately accompanied by waves of mild to severe nausea. The experience was what Shulgin describes as a "plus-2" — there was definite activity, but not so much that I couldn't function in an emergency if I had to. The trip could have been much deeper, but it was certainly "psychedelic." It is difficult to describe — a novel sense of at least three energy fields radiating from my body at set "wave-lengths. " An unusual sensation, and not quite like anything I've ever experienced before. There were bright hypnogogic type visions (immediately forgotten) and an extremely tranquilized "weak" feeling — almost as if my consciousness was connected to my body by
the thinnest of threads. I won't call it an out-of-body experience, but it wasn't far from that. The nausea was a definite problem, although I didn't actually vomit. Two of my fellow travellers spent the evening with the dry heaves, though they seemed to get more positive benefits as well. I've never had jungle ayahuasca, so I don't know how this analogue
experience compares with the "real thing' ...

-J.G., CA
source

Quote:
Giant reed has established itself as one of the primary threats to native riparian (riverside) habitats in the western United States: it grows enormously fast, it comes back quickly after fire, it lacks natural predators and competitors in North America, and it
appears unsuitable as food or habitat for native wildlife.

Giant reed (or cane, as many refer to it) is native to the Mediterranean region of Europe. It was introduced to Los Angeles in the 1820s to control erosion in drainage canals and was used as roof thatching for sheds, barns, and other buildings. But giant reed has spread uncontrollably and is now found in virtually every stream system along the coast from Sacramento into Baja... The greatest limitation to a healthy natural riparian forest on the river isn't the availability of young willow or cottonwood trees germinating on the river bank, but the inability of those young trees to compete with the "plant from hell"... - Gary Bell,"Straw Wars: Doing Battle with the Alien," Nature Conservancy Newsletter Stop (Sept. '94? No further data on photocopy.)

My experience with a 50mg extraction from the roots of this plant was a moderately severe allergic reaction that lasted three days. No psychoactivity was noted. Since then I've lost interest in this species, but now wonder (considering its widespread availability) if it isn't worth another look.
source

Maybe P. arundinacea as a 5-meo-DMT source?

Quote:

source
Approximately 25mg of P. arundinacea extract (as described in the Winter '93 issue of ER) was sent for analysis to the Institut Universitaire de Medicine Legale, Laboratoire de toxicologic analytique in Lausan ne, Switzerland. The results of the assay are as follows:

"... The extract contains mainly S-MeO-DMT with 50% of a compound with molecular weight of 216
which might well be 6- MeO—Methyl—1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-beta-carboline and around 5% of 2-Methyl-l, 2,3,4- Tetrahydro-beta-carboline and DMT. The identity of 6-MeO-2-Me-THC is still pending as I am missing the reference substance. Additional works are going on to offer a firmer
identification... "

This confirms our educated guess in the Spring '94 issue that the subjective experience of smoking this extract conformed more to the 5-MeO-DMT profile than that of DMT. The next task is to identify a strain or species of Phalaris which contains more DMT and less (or no) 5-MeO-DMT - a molecule which tends to be more intense than most people are comfortable in-
gesting.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#37 Posted : 4/27/2017 2:58:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
IVe felt that Arundo donax is a red herring for some. Almost all written material discussing the use of it with P. harmala indicates "allergic reaction." The Dictionary of Sacred and Magical Plants, by Christian Ratsch says the roots of A. donax contain approximately 3% DMT and a percentage of Bufotenine. This might be the source of the nausea. Perhaps the roots could be juiced and dried and smoked. The ancient Vedic scholars knew the difference between
hives and enlightenment. I've never used A. donax, and after reading the various reports, I will not. I al ready have allergies and have had a couple of serious breathing problems and don't see the need to hallucinate and have trouble breathing. An unruly patch of A. donax can be killed off by using dry ice and ammonia. My own patch was killed in 1994 after ice storms and twenty-below zero temperatures. — RS, DE

-The Entheogen Review, Vernal Equinox, 1996

Is the DMT in these grasses in its free-base form?

When dealing with ACRB or MHRB the DMT contained in the plant is in its tannate or oxalate salt form, which is not smokeable, the sodium hydroxide used during extraction converts the DMT into its smokeable free-base form.

I have heard of people sprouting phalaris seeds, then drying, powdering, and smoking the sprouts, I have also heard of individuals running grass through a wheatgrass juicer, then evaporating the juice ans smoking the residue...if the DMT is in its free-base form in theory this would work, otherwise would you not end up with an unsmokeable salt from of DMT?

I know I should probably already know this, however these grasses were never much of an interest of mine, I had a quick storm of researching them when I first discovered them, and for many reasons moved on to other areas of research fairly quickky. So I'm having to catch up on a good deal of the research which I neglected to do in the past.

-eg

dreamer042
#38 Posted : 4/27/2017 5:21:34 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Arundo donax roots contain bufotenidine and dehydrobufotenidine both of which are considered pretty nasty toxins so I'd advise shying away from the roots, unless we can devise a method of easily removing these unsavory alkaloids. Shulgin states that the flowers contain DMT and 5-MeO-NMT which makes me think a purely flower extraction could be of sufficient entheogenic interest and it's one that's been sitting on my "to investigate" list for some time. The amount of biomass this plant produces alone makes it of sufficient interest for further investigation.

From TiHKAL:
Shulgin wrote:
The giant grass Arundo donax is a tall, perennial reed of a bamboo-like nature. A number of studies have found this plant to be a rich tryptamine source. Almost all the published reports have located these alkaloids in the flowers or in the roots of the plant. The blossoms have both DMT and the 5-methoxylated N-demethylated analogue, 5-MeO-NMT. The roots are a rhizomal system and they not only contain these active tryptamines, but bufotenine as well. The quaternary methylated salt of DMT is in the flowers, and bufotenidine and the cyclic dehydrobufotenidine are in the roots. Another report puts 5-MeO-DMT in all of the plant's extracts.

The alkaloids in all these grasses are in a salt form not freebase. Salts can be smoked, they just require higher temperatures to melt/vaporize than their freebase counterparts. I'm skeptical of the reports of effects from smoking evaporated grass juices, if you can't get effects from smoking mimosa bark at 3% DMT it's very unlikely you'll get effects from a grass juice at .003% DMT, but seedlings are supposed to be pretty high in tryptamine content so who knows, it may be possible, most of the old ER reports are pretty reliable. In any case it's easy enough to add a little soda carb or lime and pull with some alcohol to yield a cleaner freebase that will prove much easier on the lungs.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

PREV12