We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hesitant to do DMT alone Options

jibbs
#1 Posted : 4/21/2017 9:53:33 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,

So I'm pretty new to DMT. So far I've used it 3 times, with one of them being a breakthrough. 2 of those times I did it with someone with me and one time by myself. I find it easier to do when I am not alone, but I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if anybody else experiences the same thing or not.

I think part of it is just a subconscious part of me that makes me think I am safer with someone there. Part of it is that I feel like it is more valuable to have someone there to talk to right away when I come back so I can tell them about the trip and they can get me to talk about it. I always find myself "scared shitless" before I take that first toke, as Terrence Mckenna puts it, and being alone makes it harder to get past this feer.

Do you guys usually go it alone when smoking DMT or have someone with you? If you go alone, did you originally have the same feelings as me? If so, what changed your outlook on it?

Cheers

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

melotikaci
#2 Posted : 4/21/2017 11:08:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jibbs wrote:

I think part of it is just a subconscious part of me that makes me think I am safer with someone there.

Because you definitely are. Smile

I would never do DMT alone for several reasons:
1. I need someone to help me to smoalk more. After two hits I can hardly open my eyes and only thing I can think of is to breath(to inhale the smoke left). There is no way I can hold "The Machine" and especially aim the lighter correctly to heat it up. It's just impossible for me.

2. I need someone to deal with any interference that can ruin my trip.(e.g. noise, light, unexpected visitors and etc.).

3. I need someone to help me integrate in this reality after coming back. After my consciousness returns to body the first thing I feel is freezing to death. It feels like I'm out in -whatever °C wet and naked shaking like crazy from cold. It may last for ~10 minutes so it's unbearable. I can't deal with it alone, need someone to help me warm up.

4. And most importantly I DO need someone to share my experience with as soon as possible. I had moments when if I didn't have someone to share my feelings and excitement after come down, I would have called police and did a trip report Very happy Jokes aside, mental support is extremely important and rewarding. But it's also very important to choose a sitter carefully.

strtman
#3 Posted : 4/21/2017 11:34:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Twice I made a trip with a baby sitter. But alone does make me feel more comfortable. For a reason I cannot really explain, a baby sitter puts stress on me. So for me alone is the way to go.

Quiet the mind and the soul will speak

tseuq
#4 Posted : 4/21/2017 12:01:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I really enjoy swimming and playing in the shallow water with my loved ones but when I take a deep dive, I am going there by myself, fully committed and ready to never come back.

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 4/21/2017 3:28:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's always better to have a clear headed individual monitoring the situation. I always consume alone, however this is not the recommended method, specially when one is quite new to the substance.

...the first time I smoked, I was around 3 or 4 people, and I broke down and turned into a crying mess shortly after inhaling the DMT, it was really embarrassing, and I honestly wish I would have been alone. Plus, I think this was the first "DMT freak-out" these people had ever witnessed, and it probably was not much fun for them either. If I had been alone nothing bad would have happened, I really did not even move.

...just have someone who you are close to and who you trust with you, They can even be in the other room if that makes you more comfortable, but have them close by.

Terence McKenna, when speaking of mushrooms, says the ideal situation would be to have a sitter in the next room over, and have a bell or some signal arranged, and if things get out of hand or you need another human for whatever reason, you could ring your bell or signal, have your sitter come in and straighten things out, and then leave again when necessary. With DMT the experience is quick, so I'm not sure this method would work, plus, with DMT you are at some risk of falling on your face or tipping over if you are seated, and it's better to have a clear headed individual make sure you are safe in this regard, and to grab the hot pipe or smoking utensil if this happens...

-eg

twattlehead
#6 Posted : 4/22/2017 7:02:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm no dmt expert but I trip alone too, though not quite with tseuq's dedication. For me it's at least partly because I don't want to contaminate someone else's experience or have them contaminate mine. All accidentally ofc. It just seems more likely I'll get the best experience doing it alone, with the set and setting as much in my control as possible. If you feel the need for a sitter, mckennas approach seemed good. Ie having your sitter in the next room ready for some pre arranged signal that you need help but otherwise leaving you alone.

Though what a sitter could do for someone having a bad time on dmt? If I'd had someone on my rough trip, I would like to have been let know that I am on a drug and that it will be over very soon, AND to try to observe and appreciate what you get while you're there. How to get that info through without wrecking the trip though? The terror of being stuck for eternity was solely because I had no idea I was tripping.

edit: oops eg already suggested mckennas approach. Btw eg, after reading some of your experiences in the fear thread, I admire your courage. You must have balls of steel to keep coming back to this stuff!

entheogenic-gnosis
#7 Posted : 4/22/2017 2:39:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

twattlehead wrote:
I'm no dmt expert but I trip alone too, though not quite with tseuq's dedication. For me it's at least partly because I don't want to contaminate someone else's experience or have them contaminate mine. All accidentally ofc. It just seems more likely I'll get the best experience doing it alone, with the set and setting as much in my control as possible. If you feel the need for a sitter, mckennas approach seemed good. Ie having your sitter in the next room ready for some pre arranged signal that you need help but otherwise leaving you alone.

Though what a sitter could do for someone having a bad time on dmt? If I'd had someone on my rough trip, I would like to have been let know that I am on a drug and that it will be over very soon, AND to try to observe and appreciate what you get while you're there. How to get that info through without wrecking the trip though? The terror of being stuck for eternity was solely because I had no idea I was tripping.

edit: oops eg already suggested mckennas approach. Btw eg, after reading some of your experiences in the fear thread, I admire your courage. You must have balls of steel to keep coming back to this stuff!

It's rare that I actually use DMT, and it's never easy to go back.

-eg

Sasquach2112
#8 Posted : 4/22/2017 11:26:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always go solo. I dont have anyone id feel comfortable with sitting for me. Im sure it would benefit the experience greatly.. right now as im blasting off my biggest concerns are the hot pipe and leaving the torch lighter going.. so i always stop early to make sure those are in a safe place

TeaDaze
#9 Posted : 4/23/2017 2:39:51 AM

truth is a pathless land

I've been going it alone but I really don't have an option. I don't know anyone to do these things with anymore. I definitely have a fear of diving deep into DMT and not having a sitter available has probably slowed down my explorations a bit, which isn't a bad thing. I know there is value in slowly pushing through that fear on my own. I understand the desire to discuss the experience afterwords and I usually find myself writing trip reports that I don't usually share as an alternative.

Sometimes, though, just feeling like I might need to maintain my composure if things become difficult can cause anxiety all on its own, so it's not all that bad.

Hkz0r
#10 Posted : 4/23/2017 3:55:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I usually go it alone. If not my girlfriend is there....constantly sniffling.
I prefer it alone but I love running to her after to tell her all about it. I must look like a kid who just saw the greatest movie ever haha.

There's usually a bit of anxiety, but that stops after the first hit