We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question on something I've read a couple of shamans doing. Options

Asher7
#1 Posted : 3/31/2017 5:10:52 AM

Professional Tracker

I figured this may fall into the mysticism.

I was reading this thread here, but for the life of me I can't find it now. They described how they were having an aya session and I believe it was a lady might have gotten a heftier dose than what was origionally thought and started having a bad time. Apparently the shaman got real close to her face and belly inhaled real deeply, and then belched. From what I read, this snapped her out of it and brought her closer to baseline. Somehow neutralizing the effects of the aya.

In another article I read about a guy conducting aya sessions and recommending that if the visions become problematic or bothersome to blow them away like you would a bug buzzing around your face.

Having never diven into aya yet, I can only imagine or guess what is going on here so I figured I would ask people with a background of first hand experience. What do you suppose is going on there? At first glimpse it sounds like hocus pocus, but at this point in my life I know better when it comes to these things.

Any theories whether it be psychological, or somehow biological? Anything in spiritual literature that would somehow tie into how or why this would work? Especially on that first story because that doesn't seem like a setting change sort of reset where you're still deep in but just sort of reset and refreshed. That one sounds like something else is happening because if I remember the details right she pretty much came back to baseline.

Just something that's been stuck in my head for awhile so I thought I would bring it up.

*edit* Also while I'm at it, anyone have similar storys regarding not necessarily the prep or ingestion aspects, but the, how would you say it? The act of working it? I can't think of the right combo of words, but the workings that go on once you're "in". Things of a similar nature in action to the two scenarios I brought up. Any "tricks" or "tools" that would be good to have in your arsenal, for lack of a better term. You know what I mean. Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Jees
#2 Posted : 3/31/2017 7:52:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some looping and locked state of mind + a trigger that can break that looping?

I tend to believe some scenario's that feel like caught into and feel unable to escape are in fact very vulnerable to be broken but most easily by someone else because of the higher surprising factor. This is an excerpt from aya forum of someone breaking the own loop:
Quote:
...I've also had the experience of some scary looking ghouls floating around my head (sort of like those Harry Potter death-eater characters from the movies) and feeling strong fear. Then the thought arose "Oh, those are just my thoughts. Nothing to fear." I focused on breath sensations, the death-eaters left, and the fear dissipated instantly.

I believe one doesn't have to be a shaman to break another ones (looping) state, just do a right thing to induce a twitch there. But believing in a shamans authority in these matters, and perhaps some are really good in this indeed, might grant them a key to how you exactly are tuned. Likewise I think a good reverent in a church, or a politician/actor on stage, has a good hold on how people are tuned when they are open to his suggestions. One facial expression or a gesture might be enough to influence peoples state. These things are no different, perhaps more pronounced, during aya sessions.

Just thinking out loud that it's maybe not necessarily all that mysterious rather more straightforward psych mechanics at work?

archaic_revival_
#3 Posted : 3/31/2017 8:11:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've only worked with one trained Shaman. I have found that once you're in, you're in. There's not a lot you can do if you're having a bad time. It's the Icaros that evoke the medicine, and the only thing (IMO) that can really stop a difficult experience is to ask (or beg) the Shaman to stop singing.

You should always be able to ask for HELP during ceremony, and the best thing to do is just BREATHE and to remind yourself that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

In a "bad" aya session, your fears will come up, so if you want to work with this plant you're going to have to deal with that. This is unfamiliar terrain and SHE IS POWERFUL.

But like I said I've only worked with one Shaman. Maybe other Shamans have different gifts.

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 3/31/2017 1:25:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

asher7 wrote:
I was reading this thread here, but for the life of me I can't find it now. They described how they were having an aya session and I believe it was a lady might have gotten a heftier dose than what was origionally thought and started having a bad time. Apparently the shaman got real close to her face and belly inhaled real deeply, and then belched. From what I read, this snapped her out of it and brought her closer to baseline. Somehow neutralizing the effects of the aya.

In another article I read about a guy conducting aya sessions and recommending that if the visions become problematic or bothersome to blow them away like you would a bug buzzing around your face

I know im going to get criticized for quoting McKenna, but was this not exactly what the original post was talking about?

Quote:
In Peru, we saw people
who were naive about ayahuasca.
People who had come from Lima for
the experience got into the place
where they were definitely having
a bad trip. But the shaman is
able to come over to them, and by
blowing tobacco smoke over them,
chanting, things which appear to
us to be symbolic, nevertheless,
act with the same efficacy as if
the person had been given a shot
of demerol. So one mans' symbol-
ism is another mans' technology.
-Terence mckenna

-eg

Limbol
#5 Posted : 3/31/2017 5:15:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Asher7 wrote:

In another article I read about a guy conducting aya sessions and recommending that if the visions become problematic or bothersome to blow them away like you would a bug buzzing around your face.

I can confirm this by my own personal experience. I give you two examples from my own ayahuasca journeys.

1) In one of my journeys as the effect started, I noticed some “sick, almost rotten” patterns on the floor of my apartment. I was getting sick to my stomach noticing them merge at the location. I closed my eyes and wished them good bye. I open my eyes and friendly pleasant pattern started to form instead. The sickening feeling in my body vanished as the pattern did. I felt in control of the experience by virtue of my own mind.

2) Another time, I almost panicked while venturing far out (in god knows where). I noticed the “darkness”. I was almost vacuum sucked into it – fear emerged. I said stop! I looked at the darkness and noticed its presence. I starred at it as it starred at me. I was in control – I thanked the darkness for its presence and it disappeared. Once again, by virtue of your own mind you can control any experience in these domains.

Fear is a common companion in these journeys, at least leading up to them. Develop some kind of peace of mind. Be mindful of your thoughts and intentions and all will be well.