We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question re: jungle spice STB extraction with toluene Options

frinj
#1 Posted : 6/17/2010 5:46:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I have googled and searched and cannot find any clear, detailed toluene jungle spice STB extraction. I just find generalities like "replace naptha with toluene..."

I have run 5-6 naptha pulls and want to do a jungle spice pull.
My specific questions are:

1. After I add the toluene to the mhrb solution, how long should it sit? An hour? A day? The longer the better?

2. Is it better for it to be warm to draw more spice, or is room temp going to get you all there is anyway?

3. After separating the solvent, can I do the same sodium carbonate, water and epsom salt washes that I do on naptha after I pull it?

4. I understand toluene must be evaporated, not freeze precipitated, but does temp matter? Is it better to evaporate at room temp, or in a warm place, or perhaps even in a cooler place?

5. Should I do multiple toluene pulls, or does 1 pretty much get it all?

6. Should I be using a similar quantity of toluene as I did of naptha, or is it perhaps a more (or less) efficient solvent?

Thanks

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 6/17/2010 10:33:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

1- its always better to make many cycles of mixng and letting separate before pulling out, rather than just letting it sit. There is no rule on 'how long should I do this for' just as there is no rule for such thing when making naphtha pulls. Most alkaloids should be pulled very quick, but logic says that if you do more mixes, probably more alkaloids will migrate to the non-polar solvent, though there is probably a moment when it stops being worth it to keep mixing because it wont dissolve much more.. Where is this point? Who knows... Just mix a few times and thats fine Razz

2- no need to warm but you can do it if you want

3- you can do the washes if you want, specialy if you feel separation wasnt very clean, but several people dont really do it. Once again, do what makes you feel better Smile

4- Yes toluene needs to be evaporated, OR, you salt the alkaloids out with FASA, FASI, FASW or vinegar. FASA and FASI should precipitate your alkaloids right out of the toluene (just let it stand after a few days after adding the FASA/FASI to crystalize. Read the salt-precipitation subforum for more info). FASW and vinegar would an acidic water layer (you do like a 'wash', just mix it and let separate) that you would pippette out and evaporate, leaving you with either dmt fumarate (solid) in the first case or dmt acetate (goo) in the second case. Those are good for oral ingestion, but if you want smokable freebase dmt, mix with excess sodium carbonate, add a bit of water and mix the paste, let dry and pull 3x with IPA or acetone, and evap that (either by itself or into some herbs for enhanced leaf or changa)

This is recommended because it avoids evapping the nasty toluene, but alternatively you can just evap the toluene..

5- Do at least two toluene pulls to get most stuff out

6- It is more efficient solvent so you can use a bit less toluene if you want.

by the way, I strongly suggest next time checking out using limonene instead of toluene. Its much healthier, smells so much better and you arent giving money for the petrochemical industry Smile

frinj
#3 Posted : 6/17/2010 7:09:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks a bunch. I may try d-limonene next time. However, I don't know where to get it locally, and I try to avoid ordering these chemicals over the internet.

Is evaporating toluene very risky? And is it a fire hazard if there are no sparks? I'm thinking of putting it in a large glass baking dish, covering it with a cotton towel (not touching the actual solvent, of course), and leaving that on a high shelf in my garage for as long as it takes. The garage does not have windows, but my impression was that enough air flow comes in under the doors to dissipate fumes from a relatively small amount of toluene (like a cup).

endlessness
#4 Posted : 6/17/2010 8:47:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As for limo, its not at all suspicious ordering it, its used for a bunch of things.. Also maybe you can find it in local health stores as pure orange oil.

if there are no sparks, fire or extreme heat source it shouldnt be a fire hazard to evap toluene. Instead of using a cotton towel, better use some thin cloth like a stretched out old t-shirt or it might take way too long. It will stink your garage most likely.. I wouldnt do it if there were nosy neighbours or people that should not smell it

good luck and tell us how it went!

frinj
#5 Posted : 6/18/2010 4:03:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

At the risk of looking foolish, I realized I had used heptane, not toluene. For some reason, I thought the bestine I'd bought was toluene because I got it in an art supply store that I'd visited for the specific purpose of finding toluene. However, once in the store, I saw bestine, it rang a bell, and I mistakenly believed that was the brand name for toluene.

Anyway, it is my understanding heptane is not as good as toluene, xylene or d-limonene at extracting the jungle spice, but we'll see what it DOES extract.

Anyone know if I can follow Whatcha's TEK with the heptane in place of the naptha, or do I need to change anything with the washing stages or with the crystallization stage?

endlessness
#6 Posted : 6/18/2010 4:16:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

heptane is very non-polar, it will only pull dmt and little else (def no jungle).. and it wont be very effective at it, so you will have to warm it up or do more pulls to get most dmt out.

heptane is usually better for recrystalization of impure dmt extractions, but yeah you can use it in an extraction as your solvent. As I said, might take more and warmer pulls to do the trick.

washing or crystalization will work just the same as with naphtha

AlchemicalGnostic
#7 Posted : 3/26/2017 12:40:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I don't want to re open such an old thread but this post is related to the question I have.
I'm also about to attempt my first jungle spice extraction with toluene and I still have a thin layer of naphtha on top of my aqueous layer that won't evap out off.
Would it be okay to go ahead and add the toluene to the solution?
I don't see why not since toluene and naphtha are both hydrocarbons.
Thanks In advace for your advice!
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

DansMaTete
#8 Posted : 3/26/2017 12:54:19 PM

[insert something smart/deep here]

Yes.

« I love the smell of boiling MHRB in the morning »

AlchemicalGnostic
#9 Posted : 3/26/2017 1:15:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks!Thumbs up
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

GreenDMT
#10 Posted : 3/27/2017 3:21:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is thinking to pull with toluene (to reuse toluene in next pulls) all spectrum and then to make acetic solution to go into it spice and left with jim jam, I don't have good naphta. After to precipitate with carbonate to filter and wash with IPA or smt.