We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Body Maps and movement practice Options

woogyboogy
#1 Posted : 3/25/2017 12:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey nexus,

Id like to introduce the topic of movement practice and see if some of you people have had similar inspirations.

In the last year Ive started to get a bit into martial arts, climbing and strength exercises. Ive been doing Yoga before, but I feel like it wasn't enough „full power“ for me at that point, I feel there was still this hyperactive child in me that just had to run and expense its energy like crazy.

So anyway for me I feel like getting into movement practices, and try to feel your body more deeply has amazing transformative potential on the way you experience your self and life.
For years Ive tried to calm my mind with meditation, and understand my self that way. Sure that has its very own benefits, but I think movement is so important, at least for those who sat around most of their lives and never got to experience their body properly.

I believe many people who get into psychedelics, psychology or meditation do so because they feel theres something about the way they have grown up and learned to live, carries with it a higher likelihood for mental problems like depression, disconnectedness and social anxiety, just to name a few.
I think getting into movement practices is a very easy way to peel of layers of the social conditioning, that prevents us from expressing our deepest desires and emotions, in other words, to express our selves fully.
With movement practice I mean things like learning how move more effortless, exploring maximum flexibility and movement range, learn how to embody your feelings, and things like that...

Maybe for some of you all this seems arbitrary, because you already have a very good connection to your body, I suppose there are different types of people. But for me, my experience in life has been mostly in my head for a big part of my life. Ive started with meditation quite a few years ago, where I also learned to explore different parts of my body, but the results never have been close, to what benefits I experience from actually exercising those parts with muscle activation and certain movement forms.

I would like to post a podcast of Simon Thakur, an Australian guy, who talks about transforming inner body maps, and understanding the origins of humankind through embodying nature and refining sensations. (I understand If some find the rewilding talk a bit hippy dippy, but I have to say I find it interesting Very happy )

http://www.danielvitalis...ody-map-simon-thakur-133
(the interview with Simon starts at about minute 24, the talk about body maps at about 47)

All of this is still very new for me, but somehow I feel like this could be a very important part for humans to consider, that sometimes gets neglected.
If we would train our body maps and sensitize our sensations from a very young age, like we train our mind in school, I believe we could unlock quite some new potential, in terms of empathy, well being and understanding our place in nature.

Im not sure if all this sounds a bit off or a even far out, but at the moment Im kind a hyped about this topic. I would love to take a year off and just explore movement practices more deeply, as I feel it would be very beneficial.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

TheAwakening
#2 Posted : 3/26/2017 9:12:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm in a similar boat, just in the last year getting interested in movement. Started with Qigong and now I'm starting to incorporate martial arts. Powerfully healing stuff when you start to position your body correctly and move with flow. Coupled with breathing and it's more powerful. Meditation is exponentially easier and more productive after a good movement session as it quitens the mind by relaxing tensions in the body, at least that's my experience.

I've met Simon and spent a small amount of time with him, really cool guy. I've been meaning to listen to this podcast for a few days now and you've just inspired me, thanks woogyboogy.

woogyboogy
#3 Posted : 3/26/2017 12:26:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey TheAwakening, thanks for your answer.

Thats pretty cool that youve met Simon, Id love to do a workshop with him. I believe he might come to europe next year...

Definitely, after a good moving session, meditation is much easier! Qigong is nice yeah, I want to get into it again at a later point, but right now im want to keep exploring different styles and practices, before I truly settle on one thing. But its definitely good to do slow QiGong or Yoga to develop that awareness of movement. If one hasnt practices awareness in slow movement, its almost impossible to stay aware of what your doing in the fast pracices like martial arts or other sports.