We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Something Wants My Roots... Options

Gone-and-Back
#1 Posted : 10/6/2016 8:49:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So I am having a problem with one of my cacti pots being dug through by some unknown animal. This is now the third time that I have come home to find this same pot dug up. The whole cactus doesn't get removed from the pot, but there is a hole dug into the soil that exposes the roots of the cactus. Some of the roots have been torn out and lay loose in the soil.

I placed the soil back over the roots, and packed it back down very lightly. So far the cactus isn't showing any signs of stress or damage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains as such.

I'm confused as to what could be doing it though, as it seems to happen during day light hours while I'm at work. I know there are a couple outdoor cats in my neighborhood, but I don't think cats would be digging up my cacti roots. Whatever it is, it's only digging in the one pot, and not the other one with the larger, more established cacti. I'm guessing it can't get far enough into that pot due to the cacti being much larger with larger spines.

Anyways, how can I stop this from happening? It's almost the time of year to bring them inside anyways, but I don't want to do that just yet. I like to leave them out until the last moment so they can get as much sunlight as possible.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Ulim
#2 Posted : 10/7/2016 6:18:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Gone-and-Back wrote:
So I am having a problem with one of my cacti pots being dug through by some unknown animal. This is now the third time that I have come home to find this same pot dug up. The whole cactus doesn't get removed from the pot, but there is a hole dug into the soil that exposes the roots of the cactus. Some of the roots have been torn out and lay loose in the soil.

I placed the soil back over the roots, and packed it back down very lightly. So far the cactus isn't showing any signs of stress or damage, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains as such.

I'm confused as to what could be doing it though, as it seems to happen during day light hours while I'm at work. I know there are a couple outdoor cats in my neighborhood, but I don't think cats would be digging up my cacti roots. Whatever it is, it's only digging in the one pot, and not the other one with the larger, more established cacti. I'm guessing it can't get far enough into that pot due to the cacti being much larger with larger spines.

Anyways, how can I stop this from happening? It's almost the time of year to bring them inside anyways, but I don't want to do that just yet. I like to leave them out until the last moment so they can get as much sunlight as possible.

Go the hardware store buy a fine mesh or something like a coffee bag and cover the pot with that. Just cut a hole for the cactus.
Make sure you dont use anything that can rust or it might damage the cactus.

Gone-and-Back
#3 Posted : 3/22/2017 3:51:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So I think I finally figured out what was digging at my cacti.

I acquired a kitten over the past year, and he has gotten to the size where he can jump to the window ledge that my cacti sit on. The one pot has multiple pups that branched off so he cant get into that one without getting stuck by the thorns, but the other one is just a single, central stalk and no arms. There is enough room surrounding the cacti that he can get into this one and dig without being poked.

This leads me to believe it was the neighbors outdoor cats. Luckily it survived, I transplanted it due to the fact that my cat exposed the roots, and I didnt know if he possibly peed on the soil or not, so better safe then sorry.

After transplanting to a new, clean pot, the cacti was placed in a seperate room that the animals dont have access too. It has been about a week now and it seems to be doing just fine. I will probably start giving it water soon and move it under a grow light to start prepping them for going back outdoors. Its consistently been above freezing, and it looks like its going to stay that way. Hoping to get them back outdoors and growing again within the next week or two.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.