We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Trichilia catigua (Catuaba) Options

Chaska
#1 Posted : 3/11/2017 10:41:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey yall
ive been wanting to extract some catuabine from trichilia catigua, and upon investigating catuaba further i found a large variety of plants which all are colliqolialy known as Catuaba
to be specific, im working with T catigua
and im curious if theres any information on the compounds within T catigua, as the "catuabine" is an alkaloid of erthroxylum vaciniifolium.

unless T catigua is E vaciniifolium, Catuabine is not found in T catigua

however...

T catigua has been a part of my diet for about a month now and id credit it with as much value to my daily life as a dream herb to my sleeping life, and it doubles as a bit of an onierogen as well. i dont notice the high as much now as when i started adding it to my diet, it could be ive learned to properly dose myself within reason now, but either way i love T catigua <3!!!!

id like to do an A/B on some bark of T Catigua to explore its properties in a refined sense, possibly insufflation or vaporizing as experiments

so if anyone has information on compounds within T catigua, please step forward... please Smile

i made a tea via presssure cooking and the ayahuasca like liquid that resulted is potentially dangerously potent, i drank a bit too much (few ounces) and 6 hours of intensity ensued

i also tried basifying the tea to see if anything would precipitate, but all that happened was a blackening of the solution and the usual basic smell

either way ill get xtals from this plant Smile
grow plants, make tea, love life

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Chaska
#2 Posted : 3/12/2017 1:13:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

heres what im talking about
Chaska attached the following image(s):
static1.squarespace.jpg (104kb) downloaded 57 time(s).

Chaska
#3 Posted : 3/12/2017 1:20:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this website served to clear things up a bit
https://thesunlightexperiment.com/catuaba/

Quote:
Erythroxylum catuaba
Both Erythroxylum catuaba, and Erythroxylum pulchrum fall under the common name “Small Catuaba” [6, 9]. Catuaba from the family Erythroxylaceae, is a quick growing, small tree, containing yellow and orange flowers. The fruit of this tree is small, dark yellow, and inedible. This Family, with its principal genus being Erythroxylum, contains several sources that contain the alkaloids for cocaine (such as the coca plant, Erythroxylum coca), however none of these active alkaloids are found in Catuaba [9].

Trichilia catigua
Trichilia catigua, is contained under the family Meliaceae. There are 80 species of the genus Trichilia throughout tropical america from Mexico down. Trichilia catigua often goes by the common name, “Big catuaba”, or preferably “Catigua”. This tree is dioecious, with a short trunk, brownish colored bark. Leaves are alternate, compound pinnate, 7-14 cm long, with 9-12 alternate or opposite leaflets. The leaf shape is elliptical, oblanceolate, or oblong. Inflorescences are axillary, 2-8 cm long, white to yellow in color, and unisexual. The majority of these trees are monecious. The flowers are long lasting (up to 6 months), small (4mm long), have 4 sepals and 4 petals.The fruit produced by this tree is an ovoid, dehiscent capsule, with the seeds enclosed in a fleshy aril [6].

Habitat, Ecology, Distribution:
According to Taylor L. (2005), both Catuaba and Catigua grow in the northern part of Brazil in Amazonas, Para, Pernambuco, Bahia, Maranhao, and Alagoas.
The Amazon Flat

Constituents:
Trichilia catigua:
A few chemical studies have indicated the presence of omega-phenyl alkanes, omega-phenyl alkanoic acids, omega-phenyl-gamma-lactones, alkyl-gamma-lactones, alkenyl-gamma-lactones and fatty acids, besides β-sitosterol, stigmasterol, campesterol and a mixture of flavalignans, [7]. Cinchonain, which has also been found in quinine bark (Cinchona spp.), has been found in Trichilia catigua. This chemical has been reported to produce antibacterial, and antineoplastic effects [9].

Erythroxylum catuaba/vacciniifolium:
Tropane alkaloids (catuabines A, B, and C) [2].

Pharmacology and Medical Research:
ANTI-BACTERIAL
Erythroxylum catuaba crude extracts have been shown to produce antibacterial effects [4]. This species has been reported to protect mice lethally injected with E. coli, and S. aureus [9].

ANTIDEPRESSANT
One study investigating the potential of Trichilia catigua’s antidepressant effects on mice and rats [7], concluded that “The present study provides convincing evidence for a dopamine-mediated antidepressant-like effect of the active principle(s) present in the hydroalcoholic extract of Trichilia catigua in mice and rats”. The same study also showed that chronic use of Fluoxetine (a common pharmaceutical antidepressant drug that works through similar pathways), caused significant reduction in both serotonin and dopamine uptake. Trichilia catigua on the other hand showed no significant change in serotonin uptake, however it did provide proof of significant dopamine uptake inhibition after chronic treatment. They also discovered that Trichilia catigua’s antidepressant effects are most notably performed through modulation of the dopaminergic system, rather than through the serotoninergic system, although modulation was shown in both.

Trichilia catigua can be compared to Hypericum perforatum in this way as Hypericum has been shown in previous studies to prevent the reuptake of both dopamine and serotonin, though this herb also has a much stronger effect on the dopaminergic system than it does on serotoninergic system. [7]. This is of significance because Hypericum perforatum has been shown to posses strong and well documented use as an alternative antidepressant medicine [citation lost]. It is important to note that because Trichilia catigua imposes its effects mostly through the dopaminergic system, rather than through the serotonin or noradrenergic system as most pharmaceutical drugs do, Trichilia catigua may provide an important alternative to individuals who do not respond well to the pharmaceutical treatments.

ANTINOCICEPTIVE
Trichilia catigua hydroalcoholic extracts, have been shown to produce antinociceptive properties, in as little as 3 hours after oral consumption. The mechanism of action for these effects have been suggested to be mediated through the dopaminergic system, and to a lesser extent, the opioid system [1].

ANTIOXIDANT
Trichilia catigua has been found to provide significant neuroprotective effects, measured by the lowered oxidative damage found in the hippocampus of mice treated with the botanical, and subjected to cerebral ischemia and reperfusion (a commonly used method to produce oxidative damage in the brain). The researchers from this studied suggested T. catigua worked better for this purpose as a preventative than a treatment. [5].

ANTI-VIRAL
Erythroxylum catuaba has reportedly shown inhibitory effects against HIV [9].

APHRODISIAC
Catuaba (both big and small) have been the most popular herbal Medicine in Brazilian folk medicine for its use as an aphrodisiac and tonic for well over a century [3].

Toxicity and Contraindications:
Catuaba/Catiguas long term use in Traditional, and modern herbal medicine has shown little (if any) negative side effects associated with long term use [9]. Due to the effects Trichilia catigua has on dopamine, caution should be used with people taking pharmaceuticals, and other herbs, that interact with this system.

Chaska
#4 Posted : 3/12/2017 1:23:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ive been thinking it has a very kava like sensation to its flavor (that not quite bitter but still edgy earthy flavor that goes well with vanilla and cinammon, yea you know that flavor)

and now reading T catigua contains a variety of lactones, i wonder if it really was something detectable through taste Confused Big grin