We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Hello Fellow Nexians! Options

AlchemicalGnostic
#1 Posted : 2/26/2017 2:04:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello Fellow Nexians!

I'd just like to thank all of you on this forum for all the great information reagarding many different things. I've learned a lot the past couple years and I just wanted to thank all of you for your dedication and sharing of your knowledge. It feels good to be part of the Nexus! One day I hope to give back what I got out of the Nexus.

Safe and Happy Travels!
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 2/26/2017 2:35:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcome to the Nexus!

Looks like you have the perfect attitude regarding giving back to the community Smile Just remember to share the results of your experiments and whatever insights you learn regarding extractions or just the psychedelic experience in general, and we all learn together!

What is your experience with psychedelics and extractions so far?

See you around!

AlchemicalGnostic
#3 Posted : 2/26/2017 3:38:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi endlessness! Thanks for the reply as I noticed you always reply to other new members. It makes us feel welcomed!Very happy

When it comes to psychedelics I've done LSD, DMT, and a couple low dose psilocybin experiences. Psychedelics to me should be used as tools to reconnect yourself back with the infinite.

For extractions I've done 5 STB teks with MHRB learning new things and increasing yields with each project. There was quite a few threads I found that you posted in where I got some great information. The best advice I got from you was when you said that ratios didn't matter that much.

"SWIM already did extractions with 1g bark:1g lye:15ml water, and it worked fine.. He also did 1g bark:0.7g lye: 15ml water, also worked fine. He already also did 1g bark:0.3g lye: 9ml water, also worked no prob.. All of them he got around 1% yield

less water makes separation of solvent slower, but doesnt affect the yield. SWIM has heard that with less water than 1:1:15, the solvent doesnt separate at all, it gets trapped in the thick mimosa acqueous layer, but it never happened to him.

Less lye, with powdered bark, also doesnt make so much of a difference, at most it increases the chances of emulsions, but SWIM stirs and doesnt shake, and the few times it did happen he either added a bit more lye or pure salt and it made the emulsions disappear"

That quote has defiantly helped me and I thank you for positing it.

I'm actually going to school for chemistry here In the summer so I'll use what I learn there to improve my projects and share what I learn with the rest of the Nexus.

Thanks for welcoming me to the Nexus!
PeaceThumbs up
"We are the gods of the atoms that make up ourselves but we are also the atoms of the gods that make up the universe." - Manly P. Hall

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 2/27/2017 2:15:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What amount of chemistry knowledge do you currently hold?

I completed 3.5 years of organic chemistry courses (lecture and laboratory), a good deal of courses related to organic chemistry, and part of some advanced org.chem stuff which I stopped halfway through... once you get past a certain point you become more of a mathematician and a theoretician than you do an actual chemist. Shulgin would say "Orbitals are for mathematicians, organic chemistry is for people who like to cook!"...now, this statement is not an excuse to stop advancing in your knowledge, but it does remind one that the focus should be facilitating chemical reactions.

...school for chemistry is great. You are going to have to take tons of classes that you don't necessarily want to take though, required math classes, and other prerequisites, you have to have a good deal of classes which are mostly unrelated to chemistry completed before they even let you take the chemistry classes. Though every individual and school is a different...they really don't make it as simple as they should.

I hate to quote a cartoon fictional mad scientist, but "school is not a place for smart people" is a quote that always comes to mind when discussing the matter...it's great for getting the basics cemented in your mind, or simply getting recognition for your knowledge, but I'm not going to get into that...

Lay low, keep quite, dress nice, and become established, then you earn a certain degree of freedom when it comes to these things.

MAPS offers some advice:
Quote:
As An Undergraduate Get Your Degree! Lie Low and Infiltrate the System
The undergraduate years are a difficult time for the nascent psychedelic researcher because of the stigma that these drugs still hold. Many undergraduates come to realize that broadcasting their unconventional views at this time could potentially harm their future careers, and thus indirectly harm psychedelic research. Sometimes we have to conform to others’ expectations in order to establish a solid base of credibility, and wait for a time when we can be more independent in our pursuits. The book Why Shrooms Are Good by Joe Schmoe is likely to be ignored; Therapeutic Benefits of Psilocybin by Dr. Joe Schmoe considerably less so, even if both books say exactly the same thing. Incidentally, this was the path I followed; I didn’t breathe a word of my interests until I was already on the faculty of Harvard Medical School. Be warned, however–conformity for too long can corrode the soul. And in retrospect, you are freer as an undergraduate than you may think you are.

Educate Yourself About Psychedelics
Read what scientific literature does exist regarding psychedelics, not just the material that draws popular attention. If possible, take a course in psychedelics. Dr. Stacy B. Schaefer teaches a class on Indigenous People of Latin America at California State University, Chico, dealing in part with the peyote-using Huichol Indians. Dr. Constantino Manuel Torres teaches an Art and Shamanism course at Florida International University, exploring traditional cultures that use psychedelics. Northern Illinois University offers regular courses by Dr. Thomas Roberts. Invite him to be a guest lecturer at your own school! Dr. Roberts writes:

If your department or another would like to offer either course– Foundations of Psychedelic Studies or Entheogens – Sacramentals or Sacrilege? to students (graduate or undergraduate), it might be possible for me to travel every now and then and meet with a class, say over long weekends or for a day or two every couple of weeks. The rest we can do by Internet.

Alternately, design your own independent study course (or courses) for credit in psychedelics. This is the approach MAPS President Rick Doblin took for his undergraduate education at New College of Florida. Use Dr. Robert’s syllabus as a basis. Paul Goodwin is starting a web site aimed at interested students offering links and short descriptions of courses relevant to psychedelic studies. This should be online by the fall of 2006 (www.psycomp.org.uk). Keep current with the literature in your area of interest, and start thinking about ideas for your own research project.

Another graduate student writes:

I completed an honors thesis as an undergraduate, which basically was a literature review, and it ended up resulting in my first publication a few years later. It also led up to my masters thesis (a quasi-experimental study) and a few other papers in press. The best thing undergraduates can do to help is to prepare themselves, I believe. Be persistent about being a part of psychedelic research, if that is truly where your heart lies. I may not be able to do exactly what I want right now, but I still can keep it in mind for the future.

“The Implications of Psychedelic Research for XXX” often makes a good term paper topic. Rephrasing a title as a question is one tactic to use when encountering skeptical professors: “Do Psychedelics Have Implications for XXX?” or “How Should We Evaluate Psychedelic Claims of XXX?” Also, consider requesting that your local and school libraries acquire psychedelic books. Not only does this help spread knowledge, it also helps authors and encourages publishers to accept more psychedelic titles.

In the meantime, attend a convention! There’s quite a bit of psychedelic research presented at the yearly Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts conferences (http://slsa.press.jhu.edu). Similarly, the Toward a Science of Consciousness conferences held in Tucson, Arizona every other year also always have some presentations dealing with psychedelic research (www.consciousness.arizona.edu). And more specifically focused on psychedelics and altered states are the yearly Mind States conventions, where aboveground researchers and underground psychonauts congregate to discuss their latest discoveries. The Mind States emailing list provides updates on similar events that happen worldwide (www.mindstates.org).

Underground publications often present cutting-edge discoveries in the arenas of psychedelic chemistry, botany, and pharmacology. The Entheogen Review, for example, was the first place to discuss the extraction of tryptamines from Phalaris grasses for ayahuasca analogues and the first to confirm the psychoactivity of Mimosa tenuiflora (= M. hostilis) without coadministration of a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. These days, countless web sites and discussion forums carry first-person reports of the latest synthetic psychedelics and botanical preparations. Amateur science flourishes in our current legal situation, in which professional science is so difficult to perform that most discoveries have to be made underground. Remember, though, that the rigorous controls present in aboveground science are usually lacking in underground efforts, rendering many results questionable at best.
http://www.maps.org/reso...a-psychedelic-researcher

-eg

AlchemicalGnostic
#5 Posted : 2/27/2017 9:26:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey thanks for the advice entho!
honestly the only chemistry knowledge I have is what I have learned from researching about extractions and doing them. I didn't even take chemistry in high school haha

man I love the Rick reference. Can't wait for the 3rd season! I defiantly agree with that though, I always believed that but it feels right and I'm excited to learn new things to help me with my projects.

That was a good piece of info from MAPS. Thanks for sharing.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 2/28/2017 10:06:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Glad to have been of help and nice that you had successful extractions Smile

Whats your prefered method of smoking?

And when you do take psychedelics, what is the setting you enjoy the most? In a party, with friends, alone, at home, in nature?

AlchemicalGnostic
#7 Posted : 2/28/2017 2:41:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My preferred smoking method would probably be with a dab rig. I have an enail so I can set it to optimal temperatures.
When I go with this method I either capsulate or sublingual some harmala HCL. Alternatively I like the sandwich method with FB harmala, spice, and herb. I'm yet to try some changa. That sounds like an ideal method I hope to try one day.

I take psychedelics alone, or with 1 or 2 close friends out in nature or at home if weather doesn't permit.