We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Signal messenger app Options

jbark
#1 Posted : 2/24/2017 2:59:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone know if the encryption of this app is really as good as advertised? (it has been championed by Snowden, not that that necessarily means anything...)

I am wary of anything that makes the claims I have heard about it, but I am curious and have a number of friends who use it.

Cheers,

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

nexalizer
#2 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:07:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

jbark
#3 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:12:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nexalizer wrote:
Yes.

Is that an encrypted box that contains a hidden, longer, folded answer? Razz

JBArk

JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

nexalizer
#4 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:13:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No.

Big grin
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

jbark
#5 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:20:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nexalizer wrote:
No.

Big grin

Understood.

Cool

nexalizer
#6 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:25:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright alright I'm sick today and didn't want to expend the energy, but here you go.

It's not perfect, mostly because of metadata concerns (the encryption itself is top notch), and there are alternatives that are even better in terms of anonymity, but no normal person would likely use them.

You could sum it up as this: The contents of your conversations will be secure while transmitted over the internet, but the server knows how often and to whom you speak to, and also where you are (physically) as long as you have network connectivity.

Put another way, your contact list and contact frequency is revealed to the server, altough the contents of the communications remain secure (private).

You can improve on the physical tracking part of the situation by proxying Signal through Orbot (Tor client) on Android - not sure if calls work like this, messages surely do.

LibreSignal, a FOSS fork that enabled non-GCM users to talk to normal Signal users, also contained several patches that at least enabled you to filter which contacts are sent to the server, not sure if that's there with the latest Signal version.

tl;dr: for most people this is the best private messenging app available atm

jbark
#7 Posted : 2/24/2017 3:35:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wasn't pushing you to expand, but thanks - very helpful. You know your stuff, that's for sure. This inspires confidence.

Now rest up and get better! Thumbs up

JBArk

skoobysnax
#8 Posted : 2/25/2017 5:53:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is chat secure better? I know the devs moved on but it seems good.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?