We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT in plants in the Fabaceae genus Options

JustAnotherHuman
#1 Posted : 2/21/2017 1:41:28 PM

You create your own reality

Hi Nexians!

I was just reading the Nexian interview with Dr Dennis Mckenna, and one question struck me.

Quote:
Can you expand on your idea of entheogenic molecules, particularly the tryptamines and beta-carbolines, as "Gaia hormones" and the specific levels of biological intelligence they connect us to? Any insight as to why these classes of alkaloids are so often present in the reparative nitrogen-fixing species and so called invasive species?

Especially the last sentence of the question. Why is it that so many of the DMT containing plants are in the Fabaceae genus? Does the nitrogen-fixing ability of these plants have anything to do with it?

I wonder.Confused

Anyways, what do you guys think?
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

dreamer042
#2 Posted : 2/21/2017 5:59:49 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

That was my question for the good doctor. So I suppose I should field this one.

On the simple surface of it, alkaloids are formed from nitrogen. Tryptamines and beta-carbolines are pretty simple molecules, so it's not really that large of a step to go from a plant in a symbiotic relationship with nitrogen fixing bacteria to a significant presence of simple alkaloids (especially at the root level). These could be a byproduct or intermediary in the synthesis of moar complex alkaloids, or just part of the plants normal metabolic processes, or even performing simple roles as anti-oxidants or cellular transmitters.

Since these are repairative species, their presence in human disturbed areas is not all that surprising either. These plants need to come in and cultivate colonies of bacteria which will add nitrogen to the soil so that other species can move in and flourish and eventually create complex and diverse ecosystems.

Where it gets weird is the effect these alkaloids have on our consciousness and the curious fact that when we do disturb a thriving ecosystem, nature immediately moves in with the exact chemicals that cause such a profound effect in our nervous system. Dennis did a great job of covering that aspect and it's possible implications in the interview, so I won't rehash it here.

But yeah, that's kinda the long and short of it.

P.S. - For those who may not be familiar with the interview it can be read here.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

downwardsfromzero
#3 Posted : 2/21/2017 7:49:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

The link is indeed thought-provoking.

Dennis McKenna wrote:
[...] corn is the perfect capitalist plant the way it adapts itself to these global infrastructures for mass production and modern culture of crops and it gets along very well. A lot of other plants, not so much.

Funny thing though is that another plant family besides the Fabaceae that is particularly noted for production of tryptamines and Ξ²-carbolines is the Graminae/Poaceae, home of maize/corn, wheat, barley, rice... The implications of this, if their indeed are any, I have yet to fathom.

And considering the triumvirate of maize/beans/squash, what might the Curcurbitaceae perhaps have to offer?

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

JustAnotherHuman
#4 Posted : 2/22/2017 12:40:38 PM

You create your own reality

Something else I find interesting is that many plants in this genus are used extensively by humans in a variety of ways, including the species that are known to contain significant amounts of DMT.

Acacias and Mimosa Hostillis are used for their wood, for fodder, and for healing various ailments. Desmanthus species are also used for fodder. I'm sure these plants are used in other ways, these are all the uses I can think of off the top of my head.Very happy
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.