We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Need advice on a grafted T. Peruv. Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 2/19/2017 3:51:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

in my early cacti growing days, I had a trichocereus Pachanoi, it was in a plastic pot which had holes on the bottom, when I would water the cacti, water would leak out of the holes onto the table, so I placed a wash-cloth under the pot to catch this water. A few weeks after, the top of the cactus turned into a black mush, as did a small pup.

...the washcloth under the pot had become moldy.

It may be counterintuitive to think that an issue at the top of the cactus could have its cause in the roots or soil, but all to often this is the case.

After removing the blackened sections of cactus and removing the moldy washcloth from under the pot, I proceeded to re-pot the cacti. I placed it in a clean pot with fresh, clean, well draining soil, and sure enough it recovered, and is thriving today.

This was a novice mistake, however, I'm glad that it taught me to be very mindful of having clean, well draining soil and clean potting in a clean environment, I am also mindful not to over-water, and to remove any potential sources of molds or other contaminants.

I'm not sure if this is the situation with your cacti, but figured I would explain what I did in a similar situation.

Try re-potting in a fresh clean pot, with fresh, clean, well-draining potting soil.

-eg

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 2/20/2017 6:51:33 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ease back on the water a bit, it sounds like you're overdoing it. Are you watering with rainwater? I find tap water with anything more than a low degree of hardness to be suboptimal.

You'd be hard-pressed to effectively mimic sunlight intensity indoors. Light on a south-facing windowsill always sufficed for mine at a latitude of between 53° and 54°.

Ditto with eg on the good drainage.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli