We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A hallucinogen from a group of species of the genus Guarea? Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 1/11/2017 2:47:32 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A hallucinogen from a group of species of the genus Guarea (Meliaceae)?

Quote:
the African species are known as bossé, guarea, or pink mahogany, and the South American species as cramantee or American muskwood. It is said to possibly cause hallucinations if ingested -Wikipedia

Quote:
Abstract
The botanical identification of Ulluchu, an iconic fruit frequently depicted in the art of the pre-Columbian Moche culture that flourished from A.D. 100–800 on the Peruvian north coast, has eluded scientists since its documentation in ceramics in the 1930s. Moche fine-line drawings of Ulluchu normally depict seed-pods or seeds floating in the air in sacrificial scenes, associated with runners and messengers or intoxicated priests. It is a grooved, comma-shaped fruit with an enlarged calyx found mainly in fine-line scenes painted on Moche ceramics. The term first appeared without linguistic explanation in the work of pioneer Moche scholar Rafael Larco Hoyle, and the identification of the plant was seen as the largest remaining challenge in current archaebotany at the Peruvian North coast. The name Ulluchu seems to have been coined by Larco. According to his description, the name originated in the Virú River valley, and is supposedly of Mochica origin. However, there is no linguistic evidence that such a term indeed existed in the Mochica or Yunga language.

We conclude that Ulluchu can be identified as a group of species of the genus Guarea (Meliaceae) based on morphological characteristics. In addition, the chemical composition of the plant's compounds supports the thesis that it was used in a sacrificial context to improve the extraction of blood from sacrificial victims. We also suggest that a ground preparation of Guarea seeds, when inhaled, may have been used as a hallucinogen. However, more detailed phytochemical research is needed to corroborate the latter hypothesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...mc/articles/PMC2670266/

This is a murky area, I'm having trouble locating information.

Also, What exactly are espingo seeds?

-eg

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 1/11/2017 6:33:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Spiritofspice wrote:
I may have some information on this I'll have a dig around.

I think my sources stated that it was used as a topical preparation put on the skin after it had been cut.
I'll see what I can find.

You dig up some interesting stuff sometimes eg I enjoy it.Thumbs up

If you can find anything that would be great, as not a whole lot seems to be out there, and the stuff that is seems to be fairly indirect and is difficult to interpret.

I'm glad that occasionally my research yields subjects of interest for others, I mean, I would be doing it regardless, but it's always good to know that others can sometimes gain something from it as well.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 1/16/2017 5:48:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

A quick review of th research and discussion found here: https://ethnobiomed.biom...s/10.1186/1746-4269-5-8
Naming a phantom – the quest to find the identity of Ulluchu, an unidentified ceremonial plant of the Moche culture in Northern Peru

Quote:
Botanical identification
Why is Ulluchu not Carica candicans?
Carica candicans is a wild relative of papaya (Carica papaya L.). Although the fruits are not marketed, they are occasionally consumed by the local population, and some market vendors and healers interviewed did know the plant under its vernacular name, "mito." Larco [1, 2] never mentions the plant in relation to Ulluchu. Assuming that he indeed encountered a plant with that name, it cannot have been C. candicans, because this species would have been named "mito."

McClelland [6] argues that Ulluchu "cannot be a papaya, which belongs to a group of plants called 'cauliflory' [i.e., stem flowery]. ... The flowers and fruit of a cauliflory grow on the trunk of the tree and not on the limbs. ... Ulluchus depicted in Moche art, however, hang from limbs. Papaya leaves do not resemble ulluchu leaves, which are triangular, ovoid, or boomerang shapes hanging from limbs. Each large palmate papaya leaf grows on a stem from the top of the tree." However, further complicating this matter, it turns out that C. candicans happens to be one of the few papayas that are not cauliflorous, that have triangular leaves with entire margins, and the fruits do hang from branches. Thus, judging from the iconography alone, C. candicans actually could be Ulluchu.

Based on recent archaeological evidence however, [6, 8, 9, 23], it has become clear that the actual fruits found in burials do not resemble C. candicans. In addition, the explanation that papain, might have been extracted by the Moche from unripe papaya for use as a blood anti-coagulant [5], albeit reasonable, does not make much sense from a phytochemical perspective. Cultivated papaya (C. papaya) is often depicted in Moche pottery, and the species contains large amounts of papain. Why would the Moche have resorted to a rare wild species, when they could have used a cultivar with the same properties that grew on their very doorstep? Also, C. candicans fruits are often 10–15 cm. long, and, while this would relate to the size of some of the Ulluchus in the iconography, it is vastly larger than many of the fruits depicted and much larger than the fruits found in burials. Finally, the anatomy of C. candicans simply does not correlate with the fruits encountered in burials.

What is Ulluchu, and what was it really used for?
Moche fine-line drawings of Ulluchu normally depict seed pods or seeds floating in the air in sacrificial scenes (e.g., [6] Fig. Three.14), associated with runners and messengers (e.g., [6]: Fig. Three.1) or intoxicated priests (e.g., [6]: Fig. Three.6). The Ulluchu fruits vary greatly in size, ranging from about 1–15 cm. They are normally comma-shaped, often with an "exaggerated round calyx" [[6]: 43] with lines on the body of the fruit (e.g., [6]: Fig. Three.4). Some illustrations show Ulluchu harvested by monkeys, and in such cases the fruit is mostly shown growing along the axes of the plant's leaves (e.g., [6]: Figs. Three.27 & Three.2Cool.

Starting from this basis in 2002, we built on the work of Donna McClelland and the archaeological excavations at Sipán in the Lambayeque Valley [8, 9, 24] and at Dos Cabezas in the Jequetepeque Valley in the 1990s [6, 23]. Botanically, all these depictions resemble capsules or drupe-like fruits. It became apparent that in a biodiversity hotspot like Peru, with a flora of more than 18.000 species, a large number of plant families have fruits that vaguely resemble Moche fineline drawings of Ulluchu, and many of these families contain more than one genus with similar fruits. Examples include: (Apocynaceae: Ambelania; Caricaceae: Carica; Celastraceae: Maytenus; Chrysobalanaceae: Chrysobalanus, Hirtella, Licania; Convolvulaceae: Dicranostyles; Fabaceae: Aldina, Alexa, Andira, Dipteryx, Dussia, Ormosia; Guttiferae: Tovomita; Hippocrateaceae: Cheiloclinum, Salacia; Icacinaceae: Calatola; Meliaceae: Guarea; Menispermaceae: Abuta, Curarea, Elephantomene, Telitoxicum; Myristicaceae: Virola; Olacaceae: Cathedra; Quiinaceae: Lacunaria; Sabiaceae: Meliosma; Sapindaceae: Cupania, Paullinia; and Sapotaceae: Pouteria. Some of these are still highly important in traditional societies. For example, Ambelania fruit is often consumed; Ormosia contains potent poisonous compounds, but is now mostly used in crafts; Curarea is one of the ingredients of "curare," the famous Amazonian arrow poison; Virola species are still used as potent snuffs in the Amazon; and Paullinia is the source of "yopo," an important stimulant. However, none of these carry the vernacular name Ulluchu.

Fortunately, at this time the archaeological evidence provides good clues for identification. The Ulluchu fruits found in burials in the 1990's are clearly capsules or drupes, slightly comma-shaped, between 1.5 and 5 cm. long, and slightly grooved (Fig. 1A&1B). They closely resemble bone, gold, and Spondylus beads found in situ in size, form, and texture (Fig. 1C–E). In the iconography, the fruits are often depicted on both sides of branches, as in the headdress of Fig. 1F. It is important to note that this figure has widely extended nostrils, as is often seen in people inhaling hallucinogenic snuffs, and is holding a gourd and pestle. McClelland ([6]: Fig. Three.1Cool interpreted this as lime gourd used for chewing coca. We suggest that this might also be a gourd used to grind the seeds of Ulluchu for inhalation. Further iconographic evidence supports this hypothesis. Runners and messengers associated with Ulluchu are often winged – they literally fly, i.e., the inhalation of Ulluchu gives them wings. An excellent example is the runner depicted in Fig. 1G: The personage has Ulluchu on his belt, Ulluchu seeds floating above its head, and an instrument in his hand that closely resembles a typical double snuff tube that would serve to inhale powdered hallucinogenic substances. Thus, it seems possible that one of the uses of Ulluchu may have been as a mind-altering snuff. Another reason for identifying the seeds in the iconography as hallucinogenic Ulluchus is underscored by Fig. 1H: This is part of a famous Moche scene (see [6]: Fig. Three.34) where monkeys are picking fruits from an Ulluchu tree. It is important to note that the tree depicted has opposite leaves and that seeds are extracted from the fruit, possibly for roasting in a typical oven on the bottom right. The roasted seeds could then be ground to powder and inhaled. The fruits themselves seem to be 5-valved. The function of Ulluchu as a hallucinogen is reinforced by other imagery (e.g., [6]: Fig. Three.6), where personages, surrounded by Ulluchu fruits lie on the ground in what clearly appears to be an intoxicated state. In addition, prisoners in sacrificial scenes (e.g., [25]: Figs. Two.2, Two.3, Two.12 & Two.24), especially the well known "lines of prisoners" at Huaca El Brujo and Huaca de la Luna (Fig. 2) all show clearly visible erections, which may be seen as another indication of the ingestion of some substance causing this effect. From this perspective Larco's term Ulluchu [2], if derived from Quechua "ullu-uchu" – "penis pepper," would in fact make sense in describing the possible effects of the plant in question. Also, the association with sexual arousal is reinforced by mythical scenes where an Ulluchu tree grows out of the back of an erotic couple.

In light of the above, Ulluchu is a tree with opposite leaves and fruits that are drupes between 1–15 cm long possibly containing active ingredients that would elevate the blood pressure and cause erections, and psycho-active substances. The only plant family from the list above having representatives that meet all these criteria is Meliaceae, and the genus Guarea is the one that most closely fits the description. It includes mostly trees with pinnate leaves (which is unusual for Meliaceae), and fruits that are 3–5 valved capsules, with large, pseudo arillate seeds. The genus Guarea is found throughout Peru, but is mostly restricted to tropical lowland forests, with some species reaching cloud forest habitat. No species is found along the dry coast of Peru, which indicates that the material must have been widely traded in Moche times. A typical representative is Guarea grandifolia DC. The species has clearly pinnate leaves (Fig. 3A), and the fruits (Fig. 3C) very clearly resemble the archaeological samples depicted in Fig. 1. In addition, Guarea contains a large number of species with varying fruit sizes (from 1–15 cm.), calyx swelling, and grooving on the body of the fruit (Fig. 4), which all correlates with the varied Ulluchu imagery in Moche fineline drawings. The seeds of Guarea species, with a distinct white navel, very much resemble the seeds depicted in Moche fineline paintings.
https://ethnobiomed.biom...s/10.1186/1746-4269-5-8

Quote:

(Text for 1st attached image)
Figure 1
Ulluchu in archaeological context. A. Ulluchu fruit from cache at Sipán. After photograph by Christopher B. Donnan. B. Ulluchu fruit from Dos Cabezas burial. After photograph by Donald McClelland. C. Bone beads in form of Ulluchus fron Huaca de la Luna. After photograph by Donald McClelland. D. Golden Ullucho bead. After photograph by Donald McClelland. E. Spondylus shell bead in form of Ulluchu. After photograph by Donald McClelland. F. Supernatural figure seated holding a gourd, possibly containing ground Ulluchu seeds with Ulluchus painted on headdress. Private collection. After photograph by Christopher B. Donnan, in McClelland ([6]: Fig. Three.1Cool. G. Anthropomorphized hawk runner carrying a snuff tube with Ulluchus on its belt and Ulluchu seeds floating above it. The Art Institute of Chicago. After drawing by Donna McClelland in McClelland ([6] Fig. Three.12). H. Ulluchu harvest. Note tree with opposite leaves and extracted seeds on bottom right. After McClelland ([6]: Fig. Three.34), Private collection.

Quote:
text for second attached image:
Guarea grandifolia. A. Mature branch. B. Flower. C. Mature fruit. D. Fruit cross section. E. Seeds F. Branching pattern.

Quote:
text for 3rd attached image:
Fruits of various species of Guarea ( G. macrophylla with seeds, G. carapoides , G. carinata , G. macrophylla , G. purusana with seeds, G. guentheri with seeds).

Quote:
Many species of Guarea are known by a wide variety of vernacular names, e.g., Guarea spec.: requia, kushímsakish; G. glabra: yecheñor, yechemor; G. grandifolia: bola requia; G. guidonia: atapio, latapi, latapi caspi, requia colorada, requia latapi, xoro; G. kunthiana: requia, paujil ruro; G. purusana: latapi, requia). The wood of many species is used as timber for construction. The wood, bark, and leaves contain compounds that act as abortive, emetic, purgative, and antiamoebiac agents, and the bark is often sold as Coccilliana in expectorant preparations [12, 26, 27, 28]. The fruits and seeds contain a variety of alkaloids that are very rarely used due to their high toxicity [29]. Some of the alkaloids found, e.g. rusbyine, have a structure and effects like emetine, an alkaloid found in Psychotria ipecacuanha (Brot.) Stokes, which has been widely used as an emetic and expectorant. Other species of Psychotria are well known as components in ayahuasca preparations due to their high content of N,N-DMT [30]. In large dosages, ipecac preparations cause high blood pressure, arrhythmia, spasms, and extension of the blood vessels. While the existing literature on Guarea seed compounds is rather fragmentary, it seems clear that a concentrated dosage of Ulluchu seeds, if ingested, would increase a prisoner's heartbeat, elevate the blood pressure, and widen blood vessels thus causing erection. All of this would make it much easier to extract sacrificial blood. Also, when inhaled by priests, the active compounds could have a mind-altering effect, which would not necessarily lead to high levels of toxicity, and could induce very rapid, short-term hallucinations.

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
13002_2009_Article_138_Fig1_HTML.jpg (301kb) downloaded 241 time(s).
13002_2009_Article_138_Fig3_HTML.jpg (425kb) downloaded 240 time(s).
13002_2009_Article_138_Fig4_HTML.jpg (313kb) downloaded 240 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 1/16/2017 6:02:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Let's review this excerpt from my previous post:

Quote:
Starting from this basis in 2002, we built on the work of Donna McClelland and the archaeological excavations at Sipán in the Lambayeque Valley [8, 9, 24] and at Dos Cabezas in the Jequetepeque Valley in the 1990s [6, 23]. Botanically, all these depictions resemble capsules or drupe-like fruits. It became apparent that in a biodiversity hotspot like Peru, with a flora of more than 18.000 species,a large number of plant families have fruits that vaguely resemble Moche fineline drawings of Ulluchu, and many of these families contain more than one genus with similar fruits. Examples include: (Apocynaceae: Ambelania; Caricaceae: Carica; Celastraceae: Maytenus; Chrysobalanaceae: Chrysobalanus, Hirtella, Licania; Convolvulaceae: Dicranostyles; Fabaceae: Aldina, Alexa, Andira, Dipteryx, Dussia, Ormosia; Guttiferae: Tovomita; Hippocrateaceae: Cheiloclinum, Salacia; Icacinaceae: Calatola; Meliaceae: Guarea; Menispermaceae: Abuta, Curarea, Elephantomene, Telitoxicum; Myristicaceae: Virola; Olacaceae: Cathedra; Quiinaceae: Lacunaria; Sabiaceae: Meliosma; Sapindaceae: Cupania, Paullinia; and Sapotaceae: Pouteria. Some of these are still highly important in traditional societies. For example, Ambelania fruit is often consumed; Ormosia contains potent poisonous compounds, but is now mostly used in crafts; Curarea is one of the ingredients of "curare," the famous Amazonian arrow poison; Virola species are still used as potent snuffs in the Amazon; and Paullinia is the source of "yopo," an important stimulant. However, none of these carry the vernacular name Ulluchu.

And while it's true that "none of these carry the vernacular name Ulluchu" I'm wondering if there may have still been association with "Ulluchu", perhaps as admixture plants when Ulluchu was consumed as a snuff for for hallucinogenic purposes, and perhaps was mixed with other plants when used as can aid to draining blood from sacrificial victims...

This passage particularly interested me:
Quote:
Runners and messengers associated with Ulluchu are often winged – they literally fly, i.e., the inhalation of Ulluchu gives them wings. An excellent example is the runner depicted in Fig. 1G: The personage has Ulluchu on his belt, Ulluchu seeds floating above its head, and an instrument in his hand that closely resembles a typical double snuff tube that would serve to inhale powdered hallucinogenic substances. Thus, it seems possible that one of the uses of Ulluchu may have been as a mind-altering snuff. https://ethnobiomed.biom...s/10.1186/1746-4269-5-8

I'm wondering if virola or anadenanthera species may have been somehow associated with Ulluchu...

There is somewhat of an ethnobotanical mystery here, and I put in the time to research it when ever I am able, it's just fairly low priorty at this point, and I'm forced to dedicate the majority of my time and efforts towards other projects...

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 1/18/2017 3:07:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Again, this is unrelated to "Ulluchu", and may deserve it's own thread, but while discussing obscure psychoactive seeds I am always reminded of "espingo seeds", I have an extremely poor understanding of exactly what these are, and any information would help.

-eg

Intezam
#6 Posted : 2/12/2017 7:43:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

some ancient vessels are pretty much detailed:

and this

.. this vessel shows the fruit with sexual activity

...then some Quechua dictionary says: ulluchu - an 'extinct fruit', enjoyed by the Moche. Found at Lord of Sipan. Alva

It's possible that it's extinct after all...?

Anyway, the seedpod (from that Fig.) the looks most like it is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarea_carapoides

Spiritofspice wrote:
I've got a feeling it's acrea nut.

I've been researching scarification for a while now and the altered states it can produce.
Here is a video towards the end of the ceramoney he is given an acrea nut for the pain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdC-YRjiVI

Areca nut is from Asia (it was introduced to Papuan ppl by Bugi traders) The Papuans do have hallucinogenic plants and One(1) it's their favorite food staple beside sweet potatoes (a kind of pandan fruit). They make a red pulp (marita sauce) from it. Eating substantial amounts of marita sauce is said to cause an 'outbreak of irrational behavior, known as the karuka madness among local people. Strangely, since DMT is not active orally unless potentiated with a MAOI, there are two possibilities: the nuts also contain a MAOI of some kind or they contain other psychoactive substances beside DMT. This wouldn't be surprising since karuka (aka buah pandan merah) is also considered an aphrodisiac. They prolly have other MAOI's as well, but given the many problems Papuans face with witchcraft accusations it's probably a top secret tabu....Thumbs up

Intezam
#7 Posted : 2/13/2017 10:02:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Spiritofspice wrote:
It's not the consumption of this fruit it's the shape that is sacred.

You punch out your front tooth put your tongue at the back of your throat and insert the stone into the cavity.
You use the stick to push it in there.

The God of this prison planet swapped a few bits around on our bodies.
The stone replaces the tongue.
The stone is only one piece of the puzzle look at your hands a being that creates don't need them they are an addition and a deception a great yogi can achieve the most advanced altered stated simply by putting pressure and puncturing certain pressure points on the hands.

All that sitting funny and breath work ain't necessary.

Kundalini is seperate from you when she comes to life the breath stops and she is alive in you just her force sustains you.
Under the intoxication of the stone everything is dragon fire.
There are nine chakras not seven.

The perfect prison is where the prisoners don't know they are in prison.
Don't beleive anything unless you see and evaluate it with your own eyes.
Forget physics and what other people tell you this existence is.
The mystery is under every single stone she is hidden just look I mean really look with the perception of a child.
The first thing you drew with eyes and a mouth was her. Formless and in the imagination.

I love my Tara
Bind those that bind others and bring their own way on their heads.

So.....did you punch out (y)our front teeth already? We thought that lingual frenectomy is sufficient? Or, in some ppl, not necessary at all (depending on it's lenghth and freedom of back-movement of tongue)?

Intezam
#8 Posted : 2/14/2017 8:09:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

...like the pit of a date fruit (minus/plus the groove)??? On the picture (with sexual activity) there is something resembling coffee beans or kauri shells (shells could heated/powdered/ = slaked lime and added to snuff).....

And who is (y)our helper? One(1) (y)our inner or outer helpers?

how rook uses stone to raise energy levels...(1 tube has water, 1 has sannnnnnd)

entheogenic-gnosis
#9 Posted : 2/14/2017 2:42:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Abstract
The botanical identification of Ulluchu, an iconic fruit frequently depicted in the art of the pre-Columbian Moche culture that flourished from A.D. 100–800 on the Peruvian north coast, has eluded scientists since its documentation in ceramics in the 1930s. Moche fine-line drawings of Ulluchu normally depict seed-pods or seeds floating in the air in sacrificial scenes, associated with runners and messengers or intoxicated priests. It is a grooved, comma-shaped fruit with an enlarged calyx found mainly in fine-line scenes painted on Moche ceramics. The term first appeared without linguistic explanation in the work of pioneer Moche scholar Rafael Larco Hoyle, and the identification of the plant was seen as the largest remaining challenge in current archaebotany at the Peruvian North coast. The name Ulluchu seems to have been coined by Larco. According to his description, the name originated in the Virú River valley, and is supposedly of Mochica origin. However, there is no linguistic evidence that such a term indeed existed in the Mochica or Yunga language.

We conclude that Ulluchu can be identified as a group of species of the genus Guarea (Meliaceae) based on morphological characteristics. In addition, the chemical composition of the plant's compounds supports the thesis that it was used in a sacrificial context to improve the extraction of blood from sacrificial victims. We also suggest that a ground preparation of Guarea seeds, when inhaled, may have been used as a hallucinogen. However, more detailed phytochemical research is needed to corroborate the latter hypothesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...mc/articles/PMC2670266/

Quote:
Ulluchu is the common name assigned to a plant frequently depicted in the art of the Moche culture, which thrived on the north coast of Peru from A.D. 100 to 800. It is a grooved, comma-shaped fruit with an enlarged calyx found mainly in fine-line scenes painted on Moche ceramics. The term first appeared without linguistic explanation in the work of pioneer Moche scholar Rafael Larco Hoyle ([1] Fig. Fifty-eight: [2] Fig. Ninety-eight, Figs. One hundred and sixty-six and sixty-seven). In his 1939 publication, he reported that the peoples of the sierras and the coastal region (Viru and Moche valleys) believed that the fruit had to be picked silently to prevent it from turning bitter. He wondered if the plant symbolized the silence and discretion of richly attired Moche messengers, some of whom wear belts adorned with Ulluchus. In his 1938 publication, he labeled a Moche fine-line drawing of Ulluchu as Phaseolus sp. (a bean). Larco clearly recognized that Ulluchu had nothing whatsoever in common with "ulluco" (Ullucus tuberosus), an Andean tuber still widely cultivated and consumed in Peru nowadays.

The symbolic importance of Ulluchu in Moche iconography was firmly established by Moche scholar Donnan McClelland [3]. Based upon a meticulous review of the UCLA Moche Archive, she showed that its distribution was non-random and that its varied usage displayed definite patterns with the greatest variability among background elements and the most frequent representation found on the belts of warriors and runners. She demonstrated that "the leaves of the Phaseolus do not resemble the ulluchu leaf depictions" [[3]: 43]. Pepino (Solanum muricatum) and aji (Capsicum annum), which are clearly depicted in Moche art and do not resemble Ulluchu were also eliminated "since the ulluchi [sic] fruit is suspended from the plant by its smaller pointed end, whereas these two are suspended by the large end" [[3]: 437]. She also indicated that the plant had not been botanically identified, pointing out that, if it turned out to be a mythical plant, no identification would be possible.

A decade after McClelland's seminal article, S. Henry Wassen [4] of the Gothenburg Ethnographical Museum, eliminated Persea americana Miller var. americana (a wild relative of avocado) as a candidate, and concluded that Ulluchu was Carica candicans A. Gray (a species of wild papaya). He also co-authored an article describing the enzyme papain, which can be extracted from unripe papaya, for use as a blood anti-coagulant [5]. In the latter article, the authors proposed that papain was used in the Moche sacrifice ceremony to prevent the coagulation of blood drawn from sacrificed warriors for later consumption by priests.

In a paper presented at the Sibley Conference at the University of Texas at Austin, in November 2003, McClelland [6], in addition to updating her 1977 paper in the light of a vastly expanded Moche Archive and archaeological discoveries of real Ulluchu, refuted the papaya hypothesis. She also discussed the presence in the art of yellow oleander seeds (Thevetia peruviana) as legging rattles as well as espingo seeds (Nectandra sp.) which [7] had earlier suggested might have been added to corn beer for medicinal and psychotropic purposes. McClelland concluded that the largest remaining challenge was the identification of Ulluchu.

In the present paper we build on the work of Donna McClelland and the archaeological excavations at Sipán in the Lambayeque Valley [8, 9] and at Dos Cabezas in the Jequetepeque Valley in the 1990s [6].

Quote:
Starting from this basis in 2002, we built on the work of Donna McClelland and the archaeological excavations at Sipán in the Lambayeque Valley [8, 9, 24] and at Dos Cabezas in the Jequetepeque Valley in the 1990s [6, 23]. Botanically, all these depictions resemble capsules or drupe-like fruits. It became apparent that in a biodiversity hotspot like Peru, with a flora of more than 18.000 species, a large number of plant families have fruits that vaguely resemble Moche fineline drawings of Ulluchu, and many of these families contain more than one genus with similar fruits. Examples include: (Apocynaceae: Ambelania; Caricaceae: Carica; Celastraceae: Maytenus; Chrysobalanaceae: Chrysobalanus, Hirtella, Licania; Convolvulaceae: Dicranostyles; Fabaceae: Aldina, Alexa, Andira, Dipteryx, Dussia, Ormosia; Guttiferae: Tovomita; Hippocrateaceae: Cheiloclinum, Salacia; Icacinaceae: Calatola; Meliaceae: Guarea; Menispermaceae: Abuta, Curarea, Elephantomene, Telitoxicum; Myristicaceae: Virola; Olacaceae: Cathedra; Quiinaceae: Lacunaria; Sabiaceae: Meliosma; Sapindaceae: Cupania, Paullinia; and Sapotaceae: Pouteria. Some of these are still highly important in traditional societies. For example, Ambelania fruit is often consumed; Ormosia contains potent poisonous compounds, but is now mostly used in crafts; Curarea is one of the ingredients of "curare," the famous Amazonian arrow poison; Virola species are still used as potent snuffs in the Amazon; and Paullinia is the source of "yopo," an important stimulant. However, none of these carry the vernacular name Ulluchu.

Fortunately, at this time the archaeological evidence provides good clues for identification. The Ulluchu fruits found in burials in the 1990's are clearly capsules or drupes, slightly comma-shaped, between 1.5 and 5 cm. long, and slightly grooved (Fig. 1A&1B). They closely resemble bone, gold, and Spondylus beads found in situ in size, form, and texture (Fig. 1C–E). In the iconography, the fruits are often depicted on both sides of branches, as in the headdress of Fig. 1F. It is important to note that this figure has widely extended nostrils, as is often seen in people inhaling hallucinogenic snuffs, and is holding a gourd and pestle. McClelland ([6]: Fig. Three.1Cool interpreted this as lime gourd used for chewing coca. We suggest that this might also be a gourd used to grind the seeds of Ulluchu for inhalation. Further iconographic evidence supports this hypothesis. Runners and messengers associated with Ulluchu are often winged – they literally fly, i.e., the inhalation of Ulluchu gives them wings. An excellent example is the runner depicted in Fig. 1G: The personage has Ulluchu on his belt, Ulluchu seeds floating above its head, and an instrument in his hand that closely resembles a typical double snuff tube that would serve to inhale powdered hallucinogenic substances. Thus, it seems possible that one of the uses of Ulluchu may have been as a mind-altering snuff. Another reason for identifying the seeds in the iconography as hallucinogenic Ulluchus is underscored by Fig. 1H: This is part of a famous Moche scene (see [6]: Fig. Three.34) where monkeys are picking fruits from an Ulluchu tree. It is important to note that the tree depicted has opposite leaves and that seeds are extracted from the fruit, possibly for roasting in a typical oven on the bottom right. The roasted seeds could then be ground to powder and inhaled. The fruits themselves seem to be 5-valved. The function of Ulluchu as a hallucinogen is reinforced by other imagery (e.g., [6]: Fig. Three.6), where personages, surrounded by Ulluchu fruits lie on the ground in what clearly appears to be an intoxicated state. In addition, prisoners in sacrificial scenes (e.g., [25]: Figs. Two.2, Two.3, Two.12 & Two.24), especially the well known "lines of prisoners" at Huaca El Brujo and Huaca de la Luna (Fig. 2) all show clearly visible erections, which may be seen as another indication of the ingestion of some substance causing this effect. From this perspective Larco's term Ulluchu [2], if derived from Quechua "ullu-uchu" – "penis pepper," would in fact make sense in describing the possible effects of the plant in question. Also, the association with sexual arousal is reinforced by mythical scenes where an Ulluchu tree grows out of the back of an erotic couple.

-eg

Intezam
#10 Posted : 2/15/2017 8:05:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

We'd loike to learn moar about you and the use of nectar stones. We will not attempt trying that without knowledge how you safely remove (the stone) after use (without choking on it). You mentioned a stick?
Maybe we can talk using pm.....Smile