We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is my pedro alright? Partially browning Options

Nathaniel
#1 Posted : 1/5/2017 7:50:23 PM

Nathaniel

So I just looked at my plants after a while being away and discovered that my pedro is turning brown on this one rib. I'm not sure if this is anything to worry about, I suspect it's just from lack of sunlight but I wanted to make sure. It doesn't look so bad on the other side and there is no blackness or bruising. I haven't watered my plants for a long time so I don't think they would be in danger of rotting.

Can someone please enlighten me?
You are me and I am you, I'll always be with you...

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 1/6/2017 1:03:43 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

This is normal ageing of the cactus.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Nathaniel
#3 Posted : 1/6/2017 9:24:01 PM

Nathaniel

Thank you

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/7/2017 1:48:01 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

You're welcome. In nature large specimens of various cacti become distinctly tree-like - there are a few nice pictures on this forum if you dig around a bit.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

Nathaniel
#5 Posted : 1/7/2017 5:20:32 PM

Nathaniel

Yea I have seen plenty of brown cacti growing green branches, but considering I've had problems with my plants I just wanted to get a second opinion. The colors started to change and I wasn't sure if it might be pointing to something else.

Cacti are truly amazing plants and it's fun to watch them grow. I'm looking forward to taking some cuttings once it gets warmer!

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 1/7/2017 9:00:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ha ha, watch out - you'll soon have more cacti than you know what to do with Wink

Nathaniel
#7 Posted : 1/9/2017 3:58:38 AM

Nathaniel

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Ha ha, watch out - you'll soon have more cacti than you know what to do with Wink

I certainly hope so! Smile I'm looking to have a few cuttings next season and then grow those into glorious new pedros! My bridgesii are coming along nicely although they don't have a huge root system yet. I'm really hoping that my pedro might flower some time but I know that is a slim chance.

benzyme
#8 Posted : 1/9/2017 6:56:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I've had the same stock since 2003, after several years of drought and sub-freezing temps.
san pedros are very resilient.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Nathaniel
#9 Posted : 1/10/2017 1:01:31 AM

Nathaniel

benzyme wrote:
I've had the same stock since 2003, after several years of drought and sub-freezing temps.
san pedros are very resilient.

Yea, unfortunately I had a larger pedro that I left out in the cold and he did not survive Sad. My other one did, however, so I'm hoping that is some testament to its strength and resilience. Also I had a peyote that somehow ended up rotting last year even though I hadn't fed it for a while, I guess it retained some moisture and he just died over time even though he looked so healthy. I was going to graft it onto my pedro but that experiment will have to wait.

Looking forward to bringing up some pedro clones this year!

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 1/14/2017 11:19:18 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

If pedros were easy to kill, I would have succeeded by now. Then again, I never let them get frozen.

I've been giving away plants for years, they're so easy to propagate. And this is in northern Europe!

Nathaniel
#11 Posted : 1/18/2017 1:13:22 AM

Nathaniel

They are amazing plants. You barely have to take care of them and they just do their thing. Have yours ever flowered? I'm hoping for a flower some time but I have no idea what the chances of that are.

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 1/18/2017 3:39:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Sadly no flowers in over 15 years, although the first ten years were something of a learning phase. I think I'll give them a re-potting soon and see how it turns out.

Have a look at this:

She's had success with various trich's and pollination.

This may also be useful: