We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
SSRI and MAOI Options

IntoTheVoid
#1 Posted : 12/24/2016 10:49:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have found a few topics on this delima but couldn't get a clear decisive answer. I sure as hell can't goto my doctor and explain in any terms of my situation so I thought I could get some answers here from some great minds.

Firstly I know the dangers of mixing the two and I know of the reactions and signs of them being mixed. I have been on Lexapro (10mgs) once a day for almost 6 months. It was a short term medication to help me get through a slump in my life and progress in my monthly visits with my therapist where I had became stagnant in making any new progress. My mental health is fine mind you, a few life changing events happened within a year's time that got me depressed and anxiety riddin... All that has changed since and I am doing great!

Back to my concern. I started a taper on them immediately going from 10mg to 5mg. I took 5mg for 3 days then I would skip a day, then I would take one every three days. I have stopped completely going on 1 week today. Lexapro has a half life close to 30 hours. I assume the medication is out of my system although I'm concerned because I still have some withdrawal symptoms.... Brain zaps, slight dizzyness from time to time.... But the rest is history.

My question(s).... With the abstainance from the medication be enough alone to finally/safely consume caapi with my DMT experiences? Do the withdrawal sysmtoms tell me to wait longer since it's a sign of my brain still adjusting and balancing out. Withdrawals can last up to a month but the absence of the actual drug is dependant on the half life. I know avoiding an MAOI while on the SSRI medication is common sense but the state it leaves the brain in while returning to normal after detox, should MAOI still be avoided until withdrawals are over?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

null24
#2 Posted : 12/24/2016 11:40:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

I'm sorry i can't help with your question, and Im not trying to police the internet or anything, but for the sake of this thread, maybe you should just post to theoriginal thread you posted on this topic?

For my two cents on your question though, i could imagine the withdrawal effects you mention subjectively negatively affecting your trip. I've found that often psychedelics can greatly magnify the perception of off-balance physical states, and create psychic (as in mental) disturbances.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 12/24/2016 11:53:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I recommend you refrain from consuming entheogens until you are back to a healthy physical and mental baseline, get back to a good "normal" state fully off your medication, then you can begin to experiment with entheogens with out worry.

I understand that you are desperately seeking answers regarding this issue, and in all honesty I think a good deal of people here have already given you some really good information and advice in the last few threads on the topic.

Just get back to a normal and healthy state, wait a few months after your withdrawal and cessation of your medication. If you are emotionally in need of medication, and you stop taking it, and then take an entheogen, it could potentially send you into a terrible regression, "brining back out" and exacerbating whatever issues you may have had.

I don't know your situation, and I honestly think medications are far over prescribed, but just to be safe, get stable without the meds, then you can explore worry free.

I hope some of this was helpful, and though I'm sure you would be pharmacologically safe much sooner, you might want just to stabilize a little bit, let your brain adjust to not being on medications before you explore DMT/MAOI combinations

Really there's no rush. The Entheogenic experience will always be there.

-eg

IntoTheVoid
#4 Posted : 12/25/2016 12:47:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was going to post this in my original thread but I was wanting to make this a separate and more direct approach at the issue at hand. I will do better at keeping things tidy and neat in the future.

Two nights ago I broke through with my currently made infused leaf after three tokes. Tonight just seemed dull and pointless. I'm not trying to draw straws or hear the answer I want to hear. DMT is a weird fellow sometimes. Just when you think you understand it she turns a different direction. I sent my brother on his voyage before I indulged tonight and he broke through. I was just trying to justify why my journey tonight was completely different. Thinking I could try my changa mix tonight for a different outcome.

I really appreciate everyone's concerns. I personally hate pharmaceuticals. Overly prescribed is an understatement to say the least. But it the same breath there are some who need it.

AwesomeUsername
#5 Posted : 12/26/2016 9:12:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest an anti-depressant herb like st. johns wort to ease your withdrawals, perhaps kava too if you had benzos for anxiety prescribed too.

Speaking from experience and as a reply to your last post, no you don't need SSRIs. Nobody needs them as there are better ways of treating depression. They take several weeks to work, and who has got time for this? What if you're suicidal?

There have been promising research done about ketamine as a effective and quick anti-depressant but I have found that micro-dosing mushrooms to be even more effective and even better yet a few full doses of ayahuasca.

Just prepare yourself right for the experience. It might be challenging during, but I promise you that feeling after you will experience the most intense feelings of joy you ever had in your entire life, and the best part is that this also sticks with you IME.

I've also heard some dangers associated with ayahuasca so that some people came out worse than they came in, so I would highly suggest that you do it right and research the crap out of it before you attempt to brew your own brews.

If you do it right, it will reward you well.

Good luck.

pitubo
#6 Posted : 12/27/2016 12:24:25 AM

dysfunctional word machine

IntoTheVoid wrote:
I sure as hell can't goto my doctor and explain in any terms of my situation so I thought I could get some answers here from some great minds.

Go ask your doctor.

If you can't have a confidential word with your doctor about these things because your doctor is not trustworhty or doesn't take your choice into consideration, then try to get another doctor. You should be able to trust your doctor with these issues.

If you want medical grade advice from this forum, ask or pm forum member CorpusCallosum, who actually is a real world medical doctor. Almost all other members, however great their minds may be, are only medical laypersons.

syberdelic
#7 Posted : 1/16/2017 11:10:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would also advise you to have a conversation with your doctor, but I can offer some insight.

It's all about serotonin. SSRIs and MAOIs both have the effect of raising your serotonin levels. MAOIs work by stopping or slowing down the normal destruction of many neurotransmitters including serotonin. SSRIs work by blocking serotonin being reabsorbed into the nerves where it is regulated, thus making more available in the blood serum. Taken together, the risk of serotonin syndrome would be great and possibly deadly.

If I were on an SSRI and wanting to take and MAOI drug, personally I would give it at least 30 days after the last dose. Even after the drug has cleared your system, there are still residual effects and after that has passed, it will take time for your serotonin levels to return to normal.

And even after the 30 days, if I weren't feeling 100%, I would not take any sort of powerful psychedelic. I've had plenty of bad trips as it is.

entheogenic-gnosis
#8 Posted : 1/17/2017 2:59:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here's my understanding of SSRI drugs:

The serotonin transporter or "SERT" is a monoamine transporter protein, a membrane protein that transports 5-hydroxy-tryptamine from the synaptic cleft into presynaptic neurons, SSRI compounds function by blocking the serotonin transporter (SERT), preventing the reuptake of serotonin. As the reuptake of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine is blocked it leaves an increased level of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine in the synaptic cleft which then becomes available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor.

Essentially it is trapping serotonin in the synapse by preventing its reuptake transport channel...

Mono amine oxidase (MAO) are enzymes which deaminate monoamines. Mono amine oxidase inhibitors are chemicals which inhibit these enzymes.

-eg

syberdelic
#9 Posted : 1/17/2017 3:56:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:

The serotonin transporter or "SERT" is a monoamine transporter protein, a membrane protein that transports 5-hydroxy-tryptamine from the synaptic cleft into presynaptic neurons, SSRI compounds function by blocking the serotonin transporter (SERT), preventing the reuptake of serotonin. As the reuptake of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine is blocked it leaves an increased level of 5-hydroxy-tryptamine in the synaptic cleft which then becomes available to bind to the postsynaptic receptor.

Essentially it is trapping serotonin in the synapse by preventing its reuptake transport channel...

Mono amine oxidase (MAO) are enzymes which deaminate monoamines. Mono amine oxidase inhibitors are chemicals which inhibit these enzymes.

-eg

Don't take this as gospel, because this is pushing the boundaries of my knowledge but I think that technically we are both correct. I believe there is exchange of neurochemicals between synaptic gaps and serum.
If someone who has more knowledge on this, please confirm or deny this understanding.

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 1/18/2017 2:47:06 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:

-eg

This is exactly right. Normally when you are on an SSRI any serotonin that is not taken up by the post synaptic neurons is removed from the synapse by monoamine oxidase. Obviously if you inhibit MAO while simultaneous blocking the pre-synaptic reuptake mechanisms, the NT's can build up to dangerous levels in the synapse.

Re: the OP - With a 30 hour half life, a week should be sufficiently long to start introducing harmalas, but follow the suggestions above and consult the medical professional prescribing your medication before trusting any medical advice from internet forums.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca