We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ketamine for alcoholism: a study Options

JustAnotherHuman
#1 Posted : 1/16/2017 2:56:00 PM

You create your own reality

Hi Nexians!

I was watching a Rick Doblin interview today and he mentioned something very interesting. He talked about research that Russian scientists did in the 90s with ketamine in the treatment of alcoholism. So I looked it up, and I found this study, which I will attach to my post.

Please read it and let me know what you think!
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AwesomeUsername
#2 Posted : 1/17/2017 12:32:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting, I've heard good stuff about ketamine too but nothing for alcoholism till now. My guess would be that it has a promising off-label uses for depression, anxiety, PTSD and now alcoholism while at the same time being a safe anesthetic and a pseudo-psychedelic recreational drug.

The short duration is also an advantage and it may help with the re-schedule of true psychedelics like LSD and psilocybe mushrooms. Good news for the psychedelic community.

JustAnotherHuman
#3 Posted : 1/17/2017 2:33:29 PM

You create your own reality

AwesomeUsername wrote:
Interesting, I've heard good stuff about ketamine too but nothing for alcoholism till now. My guess would be that it has a promising off-label uses for depression, anxiety, PTSD and now alcoholism while at the same time being a safe anesthetic and a pseudo-psychedelic recreational drug.

The short duration is also an advantage and it may help with the re-schedule of true psychedelics like LSD and psilocybe mushrooms. Good news for the psychedelic community.

Yeah, the depression research is really fascinating for me. From what I've read on the studies, it seems to me that the use for ketamine in the treatment of depression would be as a emergency measure for severely depressed people with suicidal thoughts because of ketamine's immediate effects on depression. The antidepressant effects do not last very long, though, and of course, regular, prolonged use of ketamine causes bladder issues, so I don't think it would be a good first-line treatment for depression.

It might work as an adjunct to psychotherapy, though. I would like to see some research on that.

I just love seeing legit scientific research on psychedelics. I feel like this is what's really going to help bring legalisation about. We know that science is the religion of our modern Western culture, so the fact that the psychedelic community now has science on its side is absolutely wonderful.Big grin
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.