We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bright Green Tips: New Growth or Lack of Nutrition? Options

Fright&Hatred
#1 Posted : 12/23/2016 8:28:18 AM

Don't worry, B. Caapi.

I thought I'd share with you guys Kurtis, my San Pedro (Trichocereus pachanoi). This particular cacti was propagated from a cutting about 6" long and grown from then on. It seems to have some very light green growth at its tips during this winter season which has caused me a bit of concern. The soil medium is ~20% sand, ~40% perlite, ~40% cactus soil with 2-7-7 "Miracle-Gro Liquid Cactus Plant Food" used sparingly with waterings during the summer season.

I let my cactus get a taste of the fall/winter weather in October to early November in high 30-50 degree temps to induce its dormant state for the winter. Afterward, I brought it inside to 65+ degree temps for almost two months now and have just noticed some discoloration on both tips. I placed it in a low lighting morning-lit area for the time being and upon finding the discoloration I have watered it once (yesterday) since taking it inside.

Right now I am considering this normal light-skin growth but it could indicate early signs of disease or lack of nutrition.

What say you, Nexians?

Before (last winter): kurtis before
After (today): kurtis after
“...Know what you're using, decide just why you're using it, and you can have a rich experience. They're not addictive, and they're certainly not escapist, either, but they're exceptionally valuable tools for understanding the human mind, and how it works.” ― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Muskogee Herbman
#2 Posted : 12/23/2016 12:06:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not enough light. Looks like its etoilating and continuing to grow. Idk anything bout overwintering but you should look into that
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

Ulim
#3 Posted : 12/23/2016 3:23:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Muskogee Herbman wrote:
Not enough light. Looks like its etoilating and continuing to grow. Idk anything bout overwintering but you should look into that

Darn tropicals Big grin

Overwintering is easy. Just cut down water and place the cactus close to the window.
Aim for temperatures below 15°C and over 10°C. Make sure the soil is dry and the cactus body too.

Also try to water from below if the cactus was dry for 1-2 weeks.
Keep the cactus body and the top of the soil dry at all costs.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 12/26/2016 4:49:53 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ulim wrote:
Muskogee Herbman wrote:

Darn tropicals Big grin

Overwintering is easy. Just cut down water and place the cactus close to the window.
Aim for temperatures below 15°C and over 10°C. Make sure the soil is dry and the cactus body too.

San Pedro cacti are not like normal cacti. I'm currently rooting some cuttings in a pot of water on a west-facing windowsill in northern Europe. I just make sure they get a bit of warmth from the radiator nearby.

Then again, it's been an unseasonably warm winter here so make of that what you will. Some of my other Trichs are also continuing to grow so I water them cautiously to maintain turgor (their windowsill temperature ranges between 9 and 12 °C, but on really sunny days it can reach 25 °C!). Certain cacti do not like their compost to dry out completely but this should be ascertained for each individual species.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Fright&Hatred
#5 Posted : 1/2/2017 8:20:52 PM

Don't worry, B. Caapi.

Ulim wrote:
Muskogee Herbman wrote:

Darn tropicals Big grin

I'm guessing not enough light is the culprit here considering I have kept it out of light in a cool corner of my kitchen for about two months now with the thermostat usually on 20-22°C , although in my research I read that it requires very little light and attention during the winter months? Perhaps it's the heat being 5 degrees higher than what you advised. Last winter I did the same thing though at the same temp, not really messing with it at all, but this is when I first started rooting from it's propagation in the first place.

I'm going to place it near a western window by a heat vent from now on and see if the color changes in the following months. It probably won't show any signs until spring since it will be growing much less but that's probably what I'm aiming for anyway.
“...Know what you're using, decide just why you're using it, and you can have a rich experience. They're not addictive, and they're certainly not escapist, either, but they're exceptionally valuable tools for understanding the human mind, and how it works.” ― Alexander Shulgin, Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story

Enlightened_One
#6 Posted : 1/12/2017 5:55:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello Fright&Hatred...

As other have mentioned your cacti are etiolated meaning they are searching and stretching for more light. Stopping watering during the winter will help with this problem.

Also, during winter, dont put thwm by a heater... just in a window where they will get some light and perhaps some drafty cold air from the window, and again, little to no water. This will put them into a domrant likt state which they will wamt to do anyways simce they sense the shorter daylight hours.