We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Solubility in hot ether, DCM Options

chiral
#1 Posted : 9/8/2009 3:34:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Someone's been curious about the solubility of DMT freebase in pet. ether at 50C. What is the relationship between temp and solubility... it's understood it rises exponentially. (2^d ? ) Does this mean that something like .9g/100ml (naptha, it is thought) @ 20C becomes 3.6g/ml at 40C?

The ether fractions are 60C-75C, but it is also understood that, being in a mixture, things change. It could be assumed that, due to the ether's lower bp, things would solute well.

If what I have said is true, then it could be supposed that using near boiling ether would allow a much smaller volume to be used for freeze precip. This could be very effective. Would this also require less time in the freezer.

There is curiosity about the following as well. What is the solubility of DMT in room temp DCM? (I've seen it somewhere, but cannot find it).

It has been thought to put a string in the mix, like rock candy ;-)

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SuperRad
#2 Posted : 9/8/2009 8:10:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, I'm sure some solubility scales show exponential growth, however 40C is NOT twice as hot at 20C!!!! Celcius is a convenient temperature scale based around temperatures encountered in day-to-day experience (freezing and boiling of water). Absolute temperature is measured in Kelvins, 20C is 293K, 40C is 313K, so 40C = 1.14(20C) in terms of kinetic energy (it's only 14% more soluble).

Also, in realistic terms, solubility doesn't follow simple quadratic curves, though they can be useful as a "first guess" when it comes to establishing real data.

69ron
#3 Posted : 9/8/2009 8:18:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some molecules, like calcium hydroxide, actually become LESS soluble as temperature rises. But this is not the norm.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

chiral
#4 Posted : 9/8/2009 9:03:18 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I see. What is the naptha bp fraction for the .9g/100ml figure?

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 9/8/2009 3:12:06 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

chiral wrote:
I see. What is the naptha bp fraction for the .9g/100ml figure?

Sorry I got no answers to your questions but I am curious as to why you bother knowing that stuff (other than just general knowledge for the sake of it). It is difficult to find reliable information on the web. What would be the practical implications?

People have been extracting and recrystallising spice with all sorts of solvents without caring too much about the absolute solubility values of spice in solvents. Usually empirical descripition like "very soluble" "moderately soluble" and "not soluble" have sufficed.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

burnt
#6 Posted : 9/8/2009 4:52:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Yes I should add that lots of these solubility estimating methods are just that: estimating methods. The only way to really determine solubility of a compound in a solvent is to dissolve it until no more dissolves. Heat in general improves solubility.

Ether is not a good solvent for recrystallization. Spice is freely soluble in it.

chiral
#7 Posted : 9/9/2009 7:49:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Well, if 5g DMT freebase as an HCl salt won't fit in 500ml of water + other stuff + solids, that makes a difference. How far can you cook it down? If it's, hypothetically, 50mg/ml, it can be accepted that 2-3ml/50mg would be groovy.