We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa Seed Pod Options

Phaneron
#1 Posted : 12/18/2016 4:22:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I sowed the seed for this particular plant back in April 2015 and have been growing it indoors under lights in coir medium using synthetic nutrients since then. I've put many hours into creating a suitable environment for these plants and finally to be rewarded with these flowers for the first time is a great feeling.

Around two months ago I started trying to induce flowering in the plants by reducing the photoperiod from 15 hours to 11 hours, during this time the plant was still under a 1000W metal halide bulb. I did not notice any change for four weeks and decided to switch to a high pressure sodium bulb of the same wattage. Then, wouldn't you know it, two weeks after making the switch and further reducing the photoperiod to 10 hours I found the first bud site, then many more after that. I am not certain my changes made a real difference as I had no control to reference but none the less I am ecstatic with the results.

I mostly just wanted to showcase these flowers, though if anyone has experience growing these plants especially to flower and seed indoors I'd love to hear about it.

The first pic is the flower from my original Mimosa, second is a new batch of nine Mimosas I germinated early this year.
Phaneron attached the following image(s):
IMG_1780.JPG (5,106kb) downloaded 196 time(s).
IMG_1793.JPG (9,214kb) downloaded 197 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Muskogee Herbman
#2 Posted : 12/18/2016 6:33:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

this is fantastic! I don't know why my mimosas hasn't flowered, i keep em outdoors and they are beginning to get massive. I live in the edge of the tropics
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

smoothmonkey
#3 Posted : 12/18/2016 5:14:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful plants Love Love
реР рдЕрд╕рддреЛ рдорд╛ рд╕рджреНрдЧрдордп ред
рддрдорд╕реЛ рдорд╛ рдЬреНрдпреЛрддрд┐рд░реНрдЧрдордп ред
рдореГрддреНрдпреЛрд░реНрдорд╛ рдЕрдореГрддрдВ рдЧрдордп ред

Phaneron
#4 Posted : 12/18/2016 11:25:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Muskogee Herbman, since you live in a place where these plants can survive outdoors I would think the natural shift of the seasons would be more than enough to get them flowring; with my plants I did stress them, albeit by accident through under watering a few weeks before noticing the flowers too. If you're in a hurry for flowers maybe give that a shot?

Thank you for the complement smoothmonkey.

Phaneron
#5 Posted : 1/1/2017 10:44:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello Nexus and happy New Year, this year is already off to a great start for myself as I found the first seed pod on my Mimosa Hostilis plant today. The attached photo looks over exposed due to the HPS bulb, I'll try to get a better photo later on. My one concern though is that this is the only seed pod I have found, as most of the flowers that have bloomed dry up and fall off their stalks within a few days of blooming. I have been trying to pollinate them manually using a paintbrush with no success as the one flower that has developed the pod I did not try to pollinate. If anyone has any experience with this plant in flower and knows the proper cycle of the plant first hand or what I can do to create more pods I would greatly appreciate it.
IMG_1804[1].JPG (4,185kb) downloaded 158 time(s).

Phaneron
#6 Posted : 1/30/2017 9:36:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another update for anyone who is following this, the flowering Mimosa is going crazy, sending out clusters of bud sites along with much more robust flowers; they are longer and more akin to what you see in botanical drawings and sketches, so this is good. The lack of pods still perplexes me, though I am still trying to mechanically pollinate the flowers with a brush. I have renewed hope as I am starting to see puffs of pollen come off the newer more robust flowers, I had not seen this in the past when trying to pollinate the smaller flowers. I have found three more seeds pods on top of the one I had found and posted a picture of earlier which is good as well, hopefully more will follow.

The first picture is of the first seed pod, more mature but still not fully developed, the second is an example of the more robust flowers I am starting to see and the third is a a view from a dissecting microscope of the flowers themselves.
IMG_1826.JPG (4,353kb) downloaded 111 time(s).
IMG_1827.JPG (5,160kb) downloaded 110 time(s).
20170127_120936.jpg (905kb) downloaded 108 time(s).

Naut
#7 Posted : 7/21/2017 8:16:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The flowers are absolutely stunning! Do they emit a scent?
my loopy guess is that t. mckenna is off hopping about hyperspace wielding a butterfly net analog, all the while collecting the most peculiar.