We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Maquira sclerophylla (Rapé dos Indios) Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 6/15/2016 2:12:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ever since reading R.E. schultes' book "hallucinogenic plants: a golden guide" I've been curious about Maquira sclerophylla.

Schultes says a hallucinogenic snuff is prepared from the fruit of this plant, and little else. aside from some botanical descriptions and some information regarding how the natives see/use the plant, no information exists...

I figured since 1976 (date schultes published "hallucinogenic plants: a golden guide" ) we must have learned more about this plant, how ever this is not the case, it's seems we still know almost nothing...

Quote:
MEDICINAL USES: Since so little is known about this plant, we do not have any information at present about possible medical uses, although a bark extract injected in rats induced CNS-stimulation followed by decreased activity and muscle relaxation for about 30 minutes (Voogelbreinder 2009, 250). If you have any further information on the medicinal uses of this plant, please leave a comment or send us an e-mail!
TRADITIONAL EFFECTS: The preliminary chemical investigations made so far have not indicated what the active principle of Maquira sclerophylia may be, though the tree is known to contain cardiac glycosides. The cardiac glycosides are an important class of naturally occurring chemicals whose actions include both beneficial and toxic effects on the heart. Plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as poisons and heart drugs at least since 1500 B.C. Throughout history these plants or their extracts have been variously used as arrow poisons, emetics, diuretics, and heart tonics. Cardiac steroids are widely used in the modern treatment of congestive heart failure and for treatment of atrial fibrillation and flutter. Yet their toxicity remains a serious problem. The tree is also known to contain coumarins, steroids, phenols and terpenes. No alkaloids have been isolated. The related species Maquira calophylla features a caustic latex, and the bark has been found to contain furocoumarins (De Carvalho & Lapa 1990).
The snuff made of Maquira sclerophylla is said to stimulate the central nervous system, causing euphoria and visions. However, no laboratory or pharmacological studies on humans have yet been conducted on this substance (Hofmann et al. 1992).
An experiment on mice and rats resulted in amphetamine-like effects. This was folllowed by “motor incoordination, decreased exploratory activity, ataxia and muscle relaxation” lasting around thirty minutes. The substance does not appear to be orally active. In further tests on rats, guinea-pigs and dogs, the animals were injected with a purified extract of the plant, and presented with a biphasic change in carotid blood pressure. Hypertension lasted up to thirty minutes. Guinea-pigs and dogs were more strongly affected than rats and died of heart attack. These effects resemble those of digitalis-like drugs (De Carvalho & Lapa 1990).

http://entheology.com/pl...ophylia-rapa-dos-indios/

...then the other day a person was questioning me about rapé snuffs, and there really was not much I could say, I was knowledgeable in Anadenanthera seed snuffs and Virola theiodora resin snuffs, but could say nothing about "Rapé dos Indios"

Does anybody know any humans who have consumed this plant or its preperations?

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
Maquira-sclerophylla-300x175.jpg (18kb) downloaded 92 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Psilociraptor
#2 Posted : 6/15/2016 6:00:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've done rape'. Assuming there is one and only one the snuff is not very visionary as its nicotine based. It's primarily used to "unblock energies" during Ayahuasca. Ie a shamanic benzo. Or so is my understanding. I was only given it during ceremony then a bottle of it upon donation. I found it quite addicting actually

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 6/16/2016 12:07:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Psilociraptor wrote:
I've done rape'. Assuming there is one and only one the snuff is not very visionary as its nicotine based. It's primarily used to "unblock energies" during Ayahuasca. Ie a shamanic benzo. Or so is my understanding. I was only given it during ceremony then a bottle of it upon donation. I found it quite addicting actually

Interesting, thank you for the information.

I had not heard any relation to Maquira sclerophylla and nicotine thus far, and am wondering if nicotine is a result of admixture plants...there are tobacco plants and even putunia* plants which contain nicotine, and which have been known as admixture plants in snuffs and brews in south America...

This is very interesting...

Again thank you for the information,

-eg

(Petunia information)
Quote:
Some forty species of petunias grow in South America and in warmer parts of North America. Members of the nightshade family, Solanaceae, they are closely allied to the genus Nicotiana (tobacco). Petunia violacea, as well as other species, are horticulturally important. Cultivated varieties, with their attractive, funnel-shaped blooms, are popular garden flowers that bloom profusely throughout the summer months (Voogelbreinder 2009, 271).
TRADITIONAL USES: The natives of the highlands of Ecuador are said to smoke Petunia violacea, which they call shanin, as part of shamanic practices and in order to induce a feeling of flying (Hofmann et al. 1992, 53).
TRADITIONAL PREPARATION: The plant is generally dried and then smoked. Resins have also recently become available, and are said to create a very spiritual and uplifting experience.
MEDICINAL USES: No medicinal uses of this plant are known at this time. If you have any information on the subject, please do let us know.
TRADITIONAL EFFECTS: The effects of smoking Petunia violacea are said to be similar to those of Coriaria thymifolia. Both plants are said to cause a feeling of flying into the air or floating away from the earth. This type of psychotropic experience is often attributed to tropane alkaloids. However, so far, studies have not been able to identify the presence of any alkaloids in any part of P. violacea (Butler et al. 1981). This species has been found to strongly inhibit human plasma AChE (Voogelbreinder 2009, 271).
In the related Petunia patagonica, new diterpenes have been found, and it may be possible that these are present in P. violacea as well. Diterpenes are not alkaloids, but are rather non-nitrogenous substances made up of four isoprene groups. They often regulate plant growth or provide a sweet taste. Some are psychoactive, a prime example being salvinorin A. Ketones have also been found in various species of Petunia (Guerreiro 1984).
http://entheology.com/pl...etunia-violaceae-shanin/

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 12/8/2016 11:14:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

What does Schultes say about this plant in Planta Med. 13, 125 (1965)?

Old synonym was Olmedioperebea sclerophylla Ducke.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Bancopuma
#5 Posted : 12/10/2016 3:39:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have also experienced rape', and it was primarily strong tobacco/nicotine based snuff, much as Psiloraptor describes. Can be powerful (knocked me off my feet once), but in no way visionary...meant to be great for keeping one grounded and keeping negative energies at bay during ayahuasca experiences apparently. Assuming rape' can come in different forms to this though.

downwardsfromzero
#6 Posted : 12/10/2016 9:16:34 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

So Maquira sclerophylla appears to be more of a tobacco additive rather than the other way round? Or have we been missing something?

Botanically speaking, the Moraceae is related to the Cannabaceae - Cannabis was once upon a time classified within the Moraceae although that doesn't necessarily mean much (or indeed anything) phytochemically speaking.

To those who have tried it, to what extent did it:
Quote:
stimulate the central nervous system, causing euphoria and visions. [...]
?

Psilociraptor wrote:
I found it quite addicting actually

sounds a bit like
Quote:
amphetamine-like effects.
Confused

This case is clearly still open...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli