We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Dark solvent Options

hedcase
#1 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:16:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So here's the problem..SWIM did his first pull without a problem, freeze preciped and yellowish xtals came out.When SWIM added solvent for his second pull and mixed, it came out very dark (orangish brown).Has anyone else had this problem, if it is a problem?it is preciping now in the freezer, hoping for the best.comments?
On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:26:32 PM

The Great Namah

STB?

My friend has the exact same problem. I've never encountered this issue before he showed me what was going on. I was unable to get rid of the brown from the xtals. I tried 3 recrystalizations, 2 washes, but the only thing I didn't do was to do an A/B extraction on the final product.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

hedcase
#3 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:28:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
STB?

My friend has the exact same problem. I've never encountered this issue before he showed me what was going on. I was unable to get rid of the brown from the xtals. I tried 3 recrystalizations, 2 washes, but the only thing I didn't do was to do an A/B extraction on the final product.

Ya its STB, was his final product smokeable?
On my back and tumbling
Rising up

acolon_5
#4 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:45:47 PM

The Great Namah

May I ask if the root bark was a) powdered and b) from a vendor outside of the US...like maybe Mexico and maybe starts with an A?

Final product has not been tested, but I am 99% sure that it is smokable...after all, people make a mimosa brew all the time without issue, whatever is getting pulled is plant matter from the mimosa, and therefore I consider it safe for ingestion.
The Spice extends life
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

hedcase
#5 Posted : 7/8/2009 9:59:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
May I ask if the root bark was a) powdered and b) from a vendor outside of the US...like maybe Mexico and maybe starts with an A?

Final product has not been tested, but I am 99% sure that it is smokable...after all, people make a mimosa brew all the time without issue, whatever is getting pulled is plant matter from the mimosa, and therefore I consider it safe for ingestion.

It is powdered, bought from a supplier in Toronto.SWIM didn't have this problem with his 1st extraction.it's in the freezer now, waiting game now I guess.
On my back and tumbling
Rising up

acolon_5
#6 Posted : 7/8/2009 10:04:33 PM

The Great Namah

Interesting.

Well best of luck with it. I've got part of the same batch and will be doing an A/B hoping that I won't have any issues with the "red".

If all else fails just do a small scale A/B extraction on it. Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes from start to freezer.
The Spice extends life

Hyperspacetraveler
#7 Posted : 8/26/2009 7:21:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Any updates on this problem or suggests other than a/b extraction? This has happened now 2 times to swim, only after the solution has sat for longer than 5 days ,after 2 pulls the 3rd addition of solvent didn't separate properly and it seems like there is 3 layers one naoh/mimosa, one fatty red/solvent layer , and one very thin like 1mm layer of normal looking solvent. Help

Noman
#8 Posted : 8/26/2009 7:43:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't let it sit so long.
One should be able to get everything that they're going to get from an STB in an evening. There is no advantage to letting it sit unless one has pulled several times and just wants to see what will migrate into the NP over time.
STB's are one night stands - after twelve hours or so, all kinds of shit in the bark starts getting broken down and getting into the NP.
If you want to milk it, an A/B is the only way to go.

lonewolf123
#9 Posted : 9/1/2009 1:00:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

swim has had 25g mhrb sitting around for about 16 hrs.... is it no good now? Just start over?

Also he had some powder he couldnt determine if it was pink or dark (like maybe some lye got in there), so he put it some fresh heptane. The heptane didnt turn yellow at all only very foggy..... is this normal?

Noman
#10 Posted : 9/1/2009 4:46:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It'll be okay, it's just that the longer it sits, the dirtier it will get with a negligable increase in actual alks pulled.

IDK about your pink powder. Is this an extract? Heptane is pretty selective, so chances are that whatever is clouding it is just something that is insoluble in heptane. Try warming (not heating) the solvent and see if it goes clear. If so, it will probably recrystalize if it's cooled slowly.

lonewolf123
#11 Posted : 9/1/2009 5:28:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The photo I attached actually makes it look brown, but it seems more of a sea shell pink out of the camera.... I attached a pic anyway. And yes this is from an extraction, the other pulls are looking white sitting in a pale yellow foggy heptane. looks like more what SWIM knows from recrystalizions....

lonewolf123 attached the following image(s):
dirtDMT.jpg (134kb) downloaded 65 time(s).

Phlux-
#12 Posted : 9/1/2009 5:49:44 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

im not sure i 100% agree with this statement "One should be able to get everything that they're going to get from an STB in an evening. "
i think it should rather be - if one wants spice - he can get it all out in 1 evening.
some jungle portions seem to take time to come out of the solution.
i may be wrong tho - its just been swims experience that very little jungle comes out on the first day.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

acolon_5
#13 Posted : 9/1/2009 2:38:45 PM

The Great Namah

That pic is exactly what my friends xtals looked like.

The only solution we have found is a mini A/B on the xtals. Washing and recrystalizing with heptane multiple times did nothing to remove the red.

Noman, my friend's first pull, which was only let to sit about 30 minutes was clear, he unfortunately added subsequent pulls that sat overnight to it and contaminated his only good pull...I think you are right about waiting too long to pull off the solvent.

Out of the very few STB's I have done, most of my yield was from the first 2 hours. I did a 15 minute pull, another pull at around an hour, and waited another hour for the third pull. However I've also left naphtha in the basified jug for weeks without it ever turning red. I dunno, it might just be the season the bark was pulled, or how it was grown, who knows?

The Spice extends life

lonewolf123
#14 Posted : 9/1/2009 4:58:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That small pile is from the first pull which swim thinks the solvent looked dark. his faof didnt think so, so he decided to decant it anyway and came out with that.
Swim put the dirty spice back in the jar with the lye, added more solvent and decanted again (off of lye sitting around for 20 hrs or so). thats in the freezer right now he tells me looking much cleaner.....

Xstacy
#15 Posted : 9/6/2009 11:44:06 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Red color leads me to believe you pulled pigment. This seems to happen when heat is applied.
With STB you do not ever have to use heat - period. I have done plenty of pulls just fine from 50g MHRB and never had the problem unless I tried to heat it to 'speed up' the process of getting spice from solution into solvent. This ended up causing more plant oils to come with the spice.

I also do not agree that you will get all you can from 1 night of pulling, in fact I enjoy taking sever days to weeks pulling from 1 50g of bark. While I tend to get some plant oils, I am still getting decent amounts of spice each time. I have before pulled on the same jar for a month. Great times, I loved it Pleased I only stopped because I needed a spice break.
All illegal narcotics are medicinal. Boredom is a disease worse than cancer. Drugs cure it, with little or no side effects if used as directed - Doug Stanhope.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson