We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Changa + propranolol (Beta-blocker) just for mild anxiety Options

stationdragon
#1 Posted : 9/6/2016 2:04:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

this answer seems impossible to find so it would be awesome if someone who genuinely knows whether the MAOIs in changa is as dangerous as it is in ayahuasca.

This is what I've heard.

Plant MAOIs are less dangerous than pharmaceutical MAOIs

You have to eat no fermented or preserved foods before ayahuasca

If on beta blockers you must stop them several weeks before and after your ayahuasca experience

Does anybody know whether it is safe to take changa with propranolol due to the MAOIs?

I've searched far and wide for an answer to this.

I want to try changa so bad but I'm on 10mg propranolol 3 x daily and have been for years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Stationdragon

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 9/6/2016 2:57:10 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I would advise against it. Propranolol is metabolized by CYP2D6, as are the common tryptamines, phenethylamines, and morphinans.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

DreaMTripper
#3 Posted : 9/6/2016 1:21:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've smoked DMT on propranolol something didn't feel right about it but you should be fine if you leave it 24hrs as I believe it has a relatively short half-life. I used to take beta blockers the next day after acid and mdma to ease the come down and once before some acid but never before or after MAOI. You should always be cautious when mixing and we are no experts apart from corpus callosum.

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 9/6/2016 3:40:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Edit - removed

~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

DreaMTripper
#5 Posted : 9/7/2016 5:56:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
I take Propranolol 80mg ER for migraines 1/day, and haven't noticed it really changing the content or quality of my psychedelic experiences. Haven't tried changa though.

I am thinking about trying to wean myself off it though and try something else. I feel like it's making me susceptible to depressive patterns and reducing my motivation.

Blessings
~ND

Yeah I had the same experience from it often felt very flat which was partially why I stopped. I used to take the same ammount for tension headaches and anxiety.

Mandukeya
#6 Posted : 11/20/2016 10:00:56 AM

Shamanic Engineer

I have mixed beta blockers with psychedelics to lessen stress on the hearth (as there was some concern that my genetics made high blood pressure dangerous)

I have since stopped this after learning about possible risks. It was a long time ago I read about the risks so I don't have the same source, but a quick search came up with:

https://erowid.org/pharm...kers_interactions1.shtml

A friend of mine ate beta blockers for many years for social anxiety. This firend also experimenting with a wide range of psychoactives and developed some form of tissue damage. It looks like a frost bite and is permanent. His physician thinks it is related to the beta blockers.

Beta blockers are known to increase risk of frost bite and I can imagine combining them with vasoconstrictors can worsen the risk quite a bit.

All this said, I personally never had a problem and know of other explorers that use propranolol as a pre-flight anxiety cure. I never found them to be of such use to me but I figure they could ease axniety-heart rate feedback loop type of scenarios.