We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Iboga disappearing from the wild in Gabon Options

Dan
#21 Posted : 4/11/2012 3:32:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Kambogahausca do you have any information on tissue culturing iboga or just in general, i'm very interested to start learning.

Thanks buddy.
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SnozzleBerry
#22 Posted : 4/11/2012 2:40:22 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

I just got a seedpod last week. I'm going to let the fruit age/rot to help germinate the seeds. From what I understand, the fermenting fruit is supposed to release acids and other chemicals that help with germination.

I haven't even opened the package yet. I figure I'll wait until about July to take them out of the pod and plant them indoors. My environment is far from ideal for growing them, but I figure indoors with plenty of love and attention...it's gotta be worth a shot to help propagate this sacred plant.

Haven't tried iboga, have no real need, but who could resist growing such powerful medicine.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

rOm
#23 Posted : 4/20/2012 8:46:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I receive a seedpod yesterday, I will start to germinate today.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

۩
#24 Posted : 4/20/2012 8:54:37 AM

ga3 will definitely help. This is great work you guys are doing here.

Dan
#25 Posted : 4/20/2012 10:56:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
I receive a seedpod yesterday, I will start to germinate today.

If you have not ripped the seedpod open yet, wait. It is much better if you leave the seedpod intact and set it somewhere to rot a little before pulling the seeds out and trying to germinate, or so I hear.

I'm trying both ways, I ripped open a fresh pod and sowed the seeds, hope it works out. I have another pod that im letting rot a little bit first.

I'll be sure to post my findings. Thumbs up
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!

Ringworm
#26 Posted : 4/22/2012 4:16:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Many plants that make fruits/seedpods have seeds with gelatinous coatings on them. This protects the seeds from sprouting inside the fruit.
In horticulture ga-3 or hydrogen peroxide is often used to digest this seed coating.

If it was me, I'd be soaking in a dilute H2O2 solution much sooner then letting it rot in a pod. Rotting is just that, and often many of the seeds do not survive.

On another note, it is good that the seeds are going to a professional grower in the proper climate. As much as I would have loved to have grown the plant, I am outside of it's survival range and as such despite my best intentions it would be a waste of seed.
I do have to wonder about the possibility of rooting cuttings, or via tissue culture.

rw
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

mindash
#27 Posted : 6/2/2012 10:04:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i just spoke with one of the Bwiti and apparently iboga can't grow anywhere else since it must not only be the proper climate but also soil as well as a few specific trees it requires in a symbiotic sense. im not sure what can be done

Ringworm
#28 Posted : 6/3/2012 1:40:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

has the bwiti man ever tried to grow it somewhere else?
"We're selling more than a cracker here," Krijak said. "We're selling the salty, unctuous illusion of happiness."

Tengukashi
#29 Posted : 10/3/2014 7:19:09 AM

Master of Massive Altitudes

Would a Mediterranean climate like coastal SoCal be good for Iboga? My grandma tends to have a green thumb , and is a doting caretaker. I feel like a humidity dome with indoor growth from the end of autumn till the warmer spring months would allow a beautiful plant to establish itself.

SnozzleBerry
#30 Posted : 10/3/2014 9:59:17 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Give it a a shot and report back! Thumbs up
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Muskogee Herbman
#31 Posted : 7/16/2015 5:22:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I by no means mean to steal this link from others, I saw this posted on Share The Seeds
From SharetheSeeds wrote:
Yann is a dude I met not long ago. He is working to help protect iboga from extinction as well as in other regards. I'm pretty sure he's legit.
Donate to help him and read about it here:

http://www.gofundme.com/saveiboga
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

marz
#32 Posted : 7/21/2015 3:45:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is really sad to see happening to iboga its really important for people to be Eco friendly are it will end up like (Mreah Prew Phnom trees) which contains sassafras used in MDMA production.
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution

Dante
#33 Posted : 12/21/2015 9:39:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Giorgio Samorini, who is currently in Gabon, said that he didnt see any sign of over/intensive harvesting. I wonder if the iboga produced to send abroad is grown only in one area?
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

downwardsfromzero
#34 Posted : 12/22/2015 1:20:16 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

marzbar329 wrote:
This is really sad to see happening to iboga its really important for people to be Eco friendly are it will end up like (Mreah Prew Phnom trees) which contains sassafras used in MDMA production.

(Pedantry alert!)
Sassafras is a different tree (still Lauraceae though, fwiw.) Safrole is the compound in question.
Thumbs up

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Corax
#35 Posted : 11/11/2016 7:21:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dante wrote:
Giorgio Samorini, who is currently in Gabon, said that he didnt see any sign of over/intensive harvesting.

People say different things, but Yann quoted above is really well documented and has made tremendous researches with authorities both from the traditional use of Iboga and worldwide acknowledged scholars such as Pr. Gassita (whose work is alas largely overlooked).

I've heard some people I won't name here saying one thing and the contrary, that is on one hand they recognize with certain people that they have hard times finding the Sacred Wood for their traditional use, and to other people they say there's no problem, but they say that to people who can bring $$$ and the economical pressure is *STRONG* in Gabon.

From what I know and I've heard directly from Gabon, I'm pretty certain people protecting Iboga and trying to prevent its extinction are more truthful and better informed than those who say the contrary. It seems logical that someone trying to sell Iboga (although this is illegal) will try to assure the plant is not endangered, especially those living in Gabon and needing cruelly money - that's something to keep in mind - but it's also no surprise to hear it from those those selling for a huge price who are only focused on short term rentability.

Quote:
I wonder if the iboga produced to send abroad is grown only in one area?

What is sold for Iboga is sometimes not Iboga at all, and even worse sometimes does not even contains ibogaine or voacangine. There was a medical report recently about a heroin addict who tried to use it as a cure and who died because what she thought was Iboga was in fact Rauvfolia sp. [url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27342343](reference)[/quote].
Now for the genuine Iboga, the best varieties grow in Gabon but the exportation is mainly forbidden, so 99% of what is sold worldwide is illegally exported or in some rare cases come from marginal areas outside Gabon.

Also note that 99% of podseeds if they are grom Gabon are illegally exported since it is also forbidden to export seeds from this plant (the figure is imaginary, I know only one person who has an authorization to export seeds and he doesn't).

Also there's one site in the world (far from Africa) where someone grows Iboga with a proper chemotype, but AFAIK he doesn't sell It since he uses the plant on site.

dragonrider
#36 Posted : 11/11/2016 8:13:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is one of the reasons why it would be interesting to investigate whether harmaline could be a replacement of ibogaïne.

Bancopuma
#37 Posted : 11/11/2016 10:36:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is interesting overlap between harmaline and ibogaine...they could be called sister compounds in a sense...but they are still markedly different substances. The long term effects alone set them far apart, based on my own experience. The long term storage of ibogaine in bodily tissues and its conversion by the liver to noribogaine over time sets it far apart I think. Harmaline and related compounds have their merits no doubt, but iboga(ine) is something else. I think a better option here would to investigate Voacanga africana as an alternative source of iboga alkaloids, while taking pressure off wild stocks of iboga.

downwardsfromzero
#38 Posted : 11/12/2016 5:02:31 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Is the cultivation of Voacanga africana significantly easier than T. iboga, I am now led to wonder?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Corax
#39 Posted : 11/12/2016 7:46:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes it is, and ibogaine can be synthesized from precursor found in Voacanga africana, the matter is quite well exposed in this conference :
https://slideslive.com/3...ogaine-community-ecology

dragonrider
#40 Posted : 11/12/2016 9:18:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, voacanga could definately be a good replacement.

Many people describe it as feeling more toxic though, wich could put people off.
However, there could maybe be ways to deal with that. Maybe pure alkaloïds feel less toxic. Or synhesizing ibogaïne from voacanga. Or maybe it's very subjective anyway, this 'toxic' feeling. Ibogaine is a very heavy drug in whatever form you take it.

I think the harmaline would be especially interesting for those who want the visionary experience but not nessecarily the healing. Though i have no experience with pure harmaline myself.

PREV123NEXT