We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Your brain does not process information and it is not a computer Options

Valmar
#1 Posted : 11/7/2016 6:27:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

https://aeon.co/essays/y...and-it-is-not-a-computer

Thoughts? Smile
“The dao that can be expressed is not the eternal Dao.”
~ Lǎozǐ

“One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
~ Carl Jung

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

hug46
#2 Posted : 11/7/2016 9:08:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that the computer/brain metaphor is an easy analogy to fall into and this article gives good points but i think that it is the other way round. The brain isn't a computer. The computer is a very basic theoretical facsimile of what the brain does. Very similar to the statement "god made man in his image". Man made god in his own image. We calculate things and a computer is a calculating machine.

acacian
#3 Posted : 11/8/2016 1:58:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hug46 wrote:
"god made man in his image". Man made god in his own image.

love it Thumbs up

Nathanial.Dread
#4 Posted : 11/8/2016 2:13:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Is there a reason you're not posting these all in one topic?

Anywho

The brain is clearly an information processing machine: all of our experiences, all of the 'inputs' that come in with which we learn are information. When I see a chair, I am perceiving light with a certain set of characteristics. The light triggers neuronal activity which, while being very different in character from the light contains some conserved quality of 'chairness.' That quality is information.

What is an action potential if not a method of transmitting information?

It's not a digital machine, but it deals in information. This guy is getting way too bogged down in the analogy of brain/computer. No it's not digital, no it's not silicone, no it's not anything that you would recognize as a computer in your daily life, but the computer is not the important part. It's the information that is.

I wonder if he would say that a neural network, where the weights, inputs, and outputs of every possible connection could be quantified and predicted deterministicly was not a computer as well.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

Old Crow
#5 Posted : 11/10/2016 3:32:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe it takes a smack of wonder to know what you truly are... just looking for it is good.

Hidden things.. are so hard to find. There are treasures deep within you.

Maybe there is a spirit calling you that all these other "ideas" can't so simply answer.

It's in us all and it does not end there... eh.

Threads are woven as the weaver spins the yarn... I love the weaver with all my heart!

Our brains.. Our consciousness are all.. pulled along.. by the under tow... what is your relationship with it.