We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Red-brown extract from MHRB / Naphtha extraction ? Options

balaur
#1 Posted : 10/24/2016 11:26:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys. A friend received a fresh batch of MHRB and proceeded to do the usual naphtha extraction. The bark was frozen then further shredded in a blended, then cooked 4 times with a bit of vinegar. The resulting broth was evaporated to a manageable quantity, then an excess of NaOH was dissolved inside . The solution was kept inside a water bath while the naphtha pull were done, thus eliminating the risk of emulsions no matter how hard the container was shaken. The resulting naphtha immediately took a reddish aspect, and it then went milky when pulled with a baster and hitting a colder container. The naphtha was then kept in a water bath again while it was washed once with hot basified water (sodium carbonate) to remove any lye that might have crept in. The solution was then stuck in the freezer for 24 hours. The resulting yield smells right but has a brownish chocolate like color. Is this normal? Could the lighter fluid have pulled something else too? Any advice on this? The spice was to be used in making some changa.

Thanks

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

fathomlessness
#2 Posted : 10/24/2016 2:33:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sometimes depending on how vigorously I shake the jar AND also the viscosity of my lye mix, some particles will get transferred to the naphtha without me even being able to SEE it in the naphtha.

What I do next is let the naphtha sit in an airtight container at room temp and all the bark particles sink to the bottom and I poor it in to another container and freeze it.

DO NOT SMOKE THAT! Do another miniature A/B unless of course you feel comfortable with what I told you about how I personally do things.

PH0Man
#3 Posted : 10/24/2016 2:35:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey there,
Looks like you yielded the typical "dmt goo"; perfectly normal. It's just as active as the crystal form, some would say it offers and even superior experience.

For the sake of making changa, it should be perfect. The problems with goo only arise when you try to vaporize the stuff: the plant fats tend to burn and be a general pain. Not a problem if you're using changa though.

If you feel the need to purify the goo for whatever reason, try running it through the A/B process once or twice more, all your plant fats will disappear.

Regards,
Marc

fathomlessness
#4 Posted : 10/24/2016 3:20:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PH0Man wrote:
Hey there,
Looks like you yielded the typical "dmt goo"; perfectly normal. It's just as active as the crystal form, some would say it offers and even superior experience.

For the sake of making changa, it should be perfect. The problems with goo only arise when you try to vaporize the stuff: the plant fats tend to burn and be a general pain. Not a problem if you're using changa though.

If you feel the need to purify the goo for whatever reason, try running it through the A/B process once or twice more, all your plant fats will disappear.

Regards,
Marc

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The guy used Naphtha which is very selective and tends not to pick up dark red and brown goo which is seen in other solvents like xylene, etc.

It could be very dangerous to advocate smoking that when there is no evidence of what it even is, no picture uploaded or anything. Like I said in my post which you probably didn't read, Red and Brown coloring has appeared (much in the way the OP described it) in my naphtha as particles that transferred from the MHRB basic soup mix.

I know your just trying to help but that is not generally good advice in this situation.

balaur
#5 Posted : 10/24/2016 5:17:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the feedback guys. As i said, except for the weird red color, the naphtha was clear. Also, i washed it with basified water afterwards. I'll try to follow your advice and do a mini AB again on it, and see what i end up with. I'm only worried that this will somewhat cut into my yield.

DoingKermit
#6 Posted : 10/24/2016 7:13:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have had the sam problem a few times over the years and I have noticed it only seems to occur if I use too much base and don't allow the lye reaction to cool before adding the naphtha. So maybe keep these in mind in your future endeavours.

Cleaning it shouldn't cut into the yield too much. It will be worth it even if there is a small drop in the final weight.

TGO
#7 Posted : 10/25/2016 3:12:34 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

This thread should help:

IMPORTANT: spice color purity fallacy AKA is your dmt ok to smoke ?

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish