We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extracting equipment? Options

Psychedelic Energy
#1 Posted : 10/18/2016 12:04:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing a DMT extraction soon and was wondering what kind vessel you extract your DMT in?
I am planning on getting some lab glass flasks with ground glass stoppers, does anyone else use this glass?
I'm just not sure things like mason jar lids, metal lids, plastic or rubber are good for such harsh chemicals.....

Thanks guys

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

BioBoostedSpirit
#2 Posted : 10/18/2016 12:41:43 PM

ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Hi Psychedelic Energy and welcome to the Nexus !!

Personally i found this kind of bottles ideal for my extractions:
http://www.simax.com/fota/shopub/167-1.jpg

Cheap , many sizes, made of borosilicate glass and easy to useThumbs up

Have fun with your extractions budSmile

Best regards
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est.
“To rule yourself is the ultimate power."
Seneca

Drowning-man
#3 Posted : 10/18/2016 1:54:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psychedelic Energy wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm going to be doing a DMT extraction soon and was wondering what kind vessel you extract your DMT in?
I am planning on getting some lab glass flasks with ground glass stoppers, does anyone else use this glass?
I'm just not sure things like mason jar lids, metal lids, plastic or rubber are good for such harsh chemicals.....

Thanks guys

I US HDPE plastic Veniger or milk gallon jugs for 300-400g extractions and Pyrex baking dishes for my FASA salting and crystalization. Don't own to many lab stuff other than pH meter most my stuff is bought localy
Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. REVELATIONS 22:1-2(Holy Bible)

Psychedelic Energy
#4 Posted : 10/20/2016 12:16:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies guy. I have decided to get some glass lab bottles with chemically resistant lids.
I know lots of people use those HDPE bottles, but I'd just prefer not to use that plastic.

3rdI
#5 Posted : 10/20/2016 12:19:12 PM

veni, vidi, spici

HDPE isnt safe with solvents like naphtha, for more info do a search, its been highlighted plenty of times.

wine bottle and a cork works well for lots of people
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Ulim
#6 Posted : 10/20/2016 4:49:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can go with most stuff you find if you just check it.

Most common mishaps are.

Acetone/Naptha attack plastics. Use glass instead with PTFE as lid.

Hot solutions of NaOH and KOH attack glass and Metals especiall aluminium. Make sure to keep the temperature of them low and use borosilicate.

Citric acid and vinegar dissolve most metals readily and will from salts in solution. Keep untreated metals like pure iron and aluminum away from them.

You can always use the container you solvent is purchased in! These are often the best option when there is no proper labware in place.

Here is a big chart to chemical restiance. But dont forget that heat will kill all plastics after some time Very happy

Jees
#7 Posted : 10/20/2016 7:10:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

3rdI wrote:
HDPE isnt safe with solvents like naphtha, for more info do a search, its been highlighted plenty of times...
Yeppers.

EDIT: oops Ulim beat me with an even bigger chart Rolling eyes
Consider it a brain wash echo attempt Big grin
Jees attached the following image(s):
Chemical_Reference_Summary-small.gif (73kb) downloaded 206 time(s).

Ulim
#8 Posted : 10/20/2016 11:03:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jees wrote:
3rdI wrote:
HDPE isnt safe with solvents like naphtha, for more info do a search, its been highlighted plenty of times...
Yeppers.

What do the letters even mean in your chart? Confused

benzyme
#9 Posted : 10/21/2016 2:44:44 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Excellent
Good
Fair
Nope (j/k. it's Not recommended/Noncompatible)
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Jees
#10 Posted : 10/21/2016 5:38:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you benzyme.
I never took much notice of the letters actually, the colors were as much telling.
But I guess they included a solution for the color blind people.

fathomlessness
#11 Posted : 10/23/2016 12:25:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I found one with cork in it at the top as per the request of another nexian. Works fabulously and no more having to worry about plastics or screwing/flipping lids.

I make sure the solution is of a thin viscosity to avoid emulsion and shake the hell out of it, or just pour in to another container a few times.

^10 liter vessel

therealone
#12 Posted : 10/23/2016 11:22:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am just now beginning my journey here at the nexus and was having the same question as I gather materials seeing what works for everyone else sure is helping a lot thank you so much every one

TGO
#13 Posted : 10/24/2016 12:47:30 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

therealone wrote:
I am just now beginning my journey here at the nexus and was having the same question as I gather materials seeing what works for everyone else sure is helping a lot thank you so much every one

Be sure to look through the FAQ as there is a lot of immensely useful information to be had there too:

Where to Start?

Good luck!

Smile
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Drowning-man
#14 Posted : 10/24/2016 5:22:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
Jees wrote:
3rdI wrote:
Yeppers.

I've used HpDE plascic jugs for Xylenes stb a dozen times never a problem. A glass jug full of lye scares me way more. Had a glass jar explode and splatter lye soup all over me and half my kitchen took hours to clean Han had to pour a liter of vinegar over me. I've seen solvents warp HDPE wen stored for a week or more but for a couple hours to make a few pulls I've never noticed any problems.
Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. REVELATIONS 22:1-2(Holy Bible)

Psilosopher?
#15 Posted : 10/24/2016 7:35:18 AM

Don't Panic

Drowning-man wrote:
Ulim wrote:
Jees wrote:
3rdI wrote:
Yeppers.

I've used HpDE plascic jugs for Xylenes stb a dozen times never a problem. A glass jug full of lye scares me way more. Had a glass jar explode and splatter lye soup all over me and half my kitchen took hours to clean Han had to pour a liter of vinegar over me. I've seen solvents warp HDPE wen stored for a week or more but for a couple hours to make a few pulls I've never noticed any problems.

The reaction between HDPE and the solvent is immediate but also a gradual process, if i'm not mistaken. So any amount of exposure is going to leach into your solvent. And even if it may not feel like it's a problem, it might be later down the line if you continue using HPDE. Bioaccumulation is a thing. But then again, this is all down to technique (re-x, mini-A/B etc.)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Drowning-man
#16 Posted : 10/24/2016 10:12:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bodhisativa wrote:
Drowning-man wrote:
Ulim wrote:
Jees wrote:
3rdI wrote:
Yeppers.

The reaction between HDPE and the solvent is immediate but also a gradual process, if i'm not mistaken. So any amount of exposure is going to leach into your solvent. And even if it may not feel like it's a problem, it might be later down the line if you continue using HPDE. Bioaccumulation is a thing. But then again, this is all down to technique (re-x, mini-A/B etc.)

Yeah there's a couple cleaning steps removed from any plastic contamination I FASA out the Xylenes clean 3-5x with acetone dissolve fumarates in water, freebase in glass jar, then pull with naptha. I never use plastic in final step especially since it involves hot solvent I just don't like messing with glass gallon jugs(all my extractions are 400G+) cuz if I drop it or it explodes I'm screwd. Dropped my plastic jug a couple times it just bounced the final naptha A/BB is like a pint jar, a lot easier to workwith. And just a little eye opener my friends have you seen the studies on all the contaminations from all the water and soda bottles we drink each year? And the mental problems caused by aluminum from cans and deodorant? (Alzheimer's, Dementia) guise were screwd either way Man's worst enemy is man:'(

Jees
#17 Posted : 10/24/2016 3:27:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had xylene stored in HDPE flask once and the garage started stinking and it was a firmly closed cap. It simply permeated trough the plastic flask. Glass rules.