We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
What to do with the waste. Options

Godsmacker
#21 Posted : 10/22/2016 4:11:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
"Fortunately" most of these solvents are flammable which could be a clue to their effective disposal. I think the concerns about their stability and toxicity such as:
Quote:
back-salting in NPS causes changes in structure of solvent

and
Quote:
spent, degraded, super-toxic, super-carcinogenic, super-caustic, super-deadly, super-explosive/reactive petrochemical solvents

are somewhat overstated. They are clearly nowhere near as a toxic as plutonium or sarin, for example, and unless you've been acidifying with nitric or perchloric acid they're not strictly explosive. That's no excuse for irresponsible disposal, of course, and this concern is valid and relevant.

This post seems to point the way somewhat. A more prominent "safe disposal of solvents" thread would be pertinent, if one doesn't already exist.

DISCLAIMER: the talk of syntheses in this post is not meant to concern the actual synthesis of an illicit/psychoactive drug; it is intended to educate users as to what may be tainting their solvent, what may form (albeit most likely in minute quantities under room temperature and ambient light exposure) under extraction-like conditions, and alternate reactions and products one may see along with the desired compound(s) during an extraction procedure; these synths are coincidental, and are not to be attempted. Ever. The reactions mentioned here are done so for the sake of harm reduction and education as to what one may unknowingly be cooking up along with their alkaloid(s) of choice.

Benzene and its derivatives: toluene and xylene, make up 25-35 percent of most naphthas and are the go-to solvent when it comes to extracting mescaline from cacti. Albeit great solvents, these compounds are not immune to outside influences, and may be so inclined to react (albeit in trace amounts due to lack of proper conditions for rxn to occur at) very slowly to form certain minute products; some of which may be toxic and/or accidentally end up in one's final yield. Presented below are some possibilities which may occur if one uses sulfuric acid for mescaline back-salting:

Please note the vast synthetic utility of TsOH: an extraordinarily strong organic acid with the potential to initiate a galaxy of reactions with the sea of molecules all around it. Albeit not as toxic as radioactive, potent anti-cholinergic (and/or anti-acetylcholinesterase) or fragile explosive (e.g. nitroglycerin) molecules, this acid, which may be made in minute quantities when mixing sulfuric acids with toluene, can result in an ark of impurities in your final product, as well as amount of final product & chemical composition due to the vast synthetic utility of this, among other possible trace compounds inadvertently made by combining hydrocarbon solvents with concentrated solutions carrying an excess of -OH. The excess bass will catalyze the formation of this acid, which may (under heat and light) mold other plant constituents into lipophilic forms, thus allowing them to contaminate your yields.

If you used a halogen acid as your back-salting acid (eg HCl, HBr, etc.) you may be opening yourself up to accidental halogenation of solvent (although due to lack of excess heat and light, it wouldn't be very much, but it should be duely noted that, in the practice of organic chemistry, SP3 hybridized hydrocarbons, especially those branching off of aromatics, are very difficult to put into play; the most widely known method is halogenation; even if a minute amount of solvent is halogenated, the compound is fair game to morph into whatever comes its way--that isn't good or safe at all, let alone predictable). Again, I am being paranoid here as very little of solvent would be halogenated under these conditions; however, excess of haloacid (as I often end up adding) may favor the formation of halogenated hydrocarbons despite there being not enough free energy & light intensity necessary to drive reaction to total completion; although a minute amount is formed, it may be of concern, especially since halogenated hydrocarbons have different solubilities and cater to different crowds than unsubstituted aromatics go.

I looked over the thread you referenced, but it had no mention whatsoever of recycling or attempting to re-use aromatic solvents (e.g. xylene/toluene/benzene); I am glad that naphtha can be reused for future extractions, and will give it a go whenever the phone starts ringing again.

I would still like to know if one could reuse back-salted aromatic solvents (without the need for excessive reduction and fractional distillation/chromatography/etc.) in future mescaline extractions--those posts did not answer that question, which I find to be the most quintessential item in my inquiry due to the fact that cactus extractions (on average) consume approximately 1000-2000ml of aromatic solvent throughout the procedure, whereas mimosa extractions (DMT) IME tend to use 250-1000ml of solvent (only once did I use 1L of naphtha Surprised Long Story Shart, I have found that 5 200ml pulls are less efficient than 7 50ml pulls in a mild heat bath; less is moar!).

Xylene doesn't evaporate well at STP (PLEASE FFS DO NOT EVAPORATE HYDROCARBONS THINKING THEY'LL DISAPPEAR; YOU'RE ONLY FURTHER POLLUTING OUR ATMOSPHERE AND RAIN BY DOING SO); I have not yet tried recycling xylene, but may just do so in future extractions. I'm just a bit cautious about what other monsters may form in doing so, and if said monsters, when exposed to concentrated -OH instead of concentrated HCl, would transform into other hideous and/or other harmful beasts/big-bangs; I may be of a curious temperament, a test chimp of sorts, but most certainly not the guinea pig to test that theory out on....

Please lmk if there is any way to reasonably recycle back-salted solvents (AKA xylene, FASA'd naphtha, etc.) via reasonable at-home methods such that I may be able to save both on lab supplies and my impact on my local environment by doing so.

Keep me informed,
-God

'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#22 Posted : 10/22/2016 5:58:52 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Quote:
Wut?
what?
NPS has no electrostatic/h-bond groups, and most aren't chiral. limonene may undergo oxidation, but xylene is fairly inert.

if you're serious about the art of extraction, cough up some coin, and get a Gast and Rotavap.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

downwardsfromzero
#23 Posted : 10/22/2016 6:38:07 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Cleanup methods for hydrocarbons might include a simple polar wash, or a series with diluted vinegar, sodium bicarbonate solution and then plain water. Dry over magnesium sulfate. Of course we then have to decide how to dispose of the mildly contaminated wash water. It should be safe to evaporate in a well-ventilated place.

I've reported on this attempt at cleaning up limonene with aqueous IPA and sodium carbonate but results are thus far a little inconclusive. Interesting phase separations occur.

And, I'm still not convinced that shaking up toluene with dilute sulphuric acid forms any appreciable amount of toluenesulphonic acid.
Quote:
Sulfur trioxide or its protonated derivative is the actual electrophile in this electrophilic aromatic substitution.

Also:
Quote:
Sulfonation takes place in concentrated acidic conditions and desulfonation is the mode of action in a dilute hot aqueous acid.
Wut?
The most reactive hydrocarbon routinely being used for extractions is limonene. It slowly oxidises in air to form carvone which can result in residues having a caraway/spearmint odour. Limonene is much more likely to react with dilute HCl than toluene or xylene are.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

1ce
#24 Posted : 10/22/2016 11:24:55 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

benzyme wrote:
Quote:
Wut?
what?
NPS has no electrostatic/h-bond groups, and most aren't chiral. limonene may undergo oxidation, but xylene is fairly inert.

if you're serious about the art of extraction, cough up some coin, and get a Gast and Rotavap.

Or even a distillation setup for solvent aquisition. Dcm/chloroform/ethyl acetate, methanol, etd all become easy to come by.

n00b4life
#25 Posted : 9/10/2023 3:14:39 PM

inflammable means flammable??

found this from the FAQ, and really felt no satisfaction after reading the whole thing. So even though this is an old thread, I’m gonna ask more questions. not a chemist, but care about the earth and like to make decisions about stuff like this that I’m comfortable with.

my real question for those who say evaporating the solvent is just awful is this: what do those expensive solvent disposal services do? again, not a chemist so ignorant here, but my understanding is that once you pump oil out of the ground and refine it there’s no way to hit undo. did a tiny bit of research into hazardous waste disposal and seems like these places burn most of it in the end. so would it be so much worse for the environment for me to evaporate it? genuinely interested.
These are the writings of a fictional character, preserved on this forum as a collaborative art project.

PREV12