We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Kratom plant care Options

Psilociraptor
#1 Posted : 9/26/2016 1:20:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Anyone here grow this little gem? I just got a couple and am trying really hard not to kill them but I'm a pretty novice botanist here lol. I've noticed the edges of the leaves are starting to get a little crisp and black and some of the smaller leaves are curling up and getting brittle. Any idea? I'm wondering if it's a drainage issue. I watered them this morning and the soil is still soaked. You'd think a vendor who handles these things would know what soil to use but what do i know. I'm also only giving them about 30 minutes of direct sunlight a day which was recommended to me to acclimate them. Even that is giving them a little sunburn though

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Continuum
#2 Posted : 9/26/2016 5:23:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I doubt it's too wet. Ime, kratom like as much water and you can supply, and I know of one grower who puts his potted plant into a large washtub that is always full or water because it drinks too much to water enough otherwise.

They ultimately like full sun, but yes, increasing slowly after they've been shocked in a dark box is the right thing to do.

Low humidity might be the problem. If you can, tent it somehow, with a large plastic tub or something, or at least mist it a couple times a day until it recovers.
Forge a Path with Heart <3

Psilociraptor
#3 Posted : 9/26/2016 6:30:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Really? I've heard good drainage is mandatory and that the soil should be dry on top before watering so I figured overwatering was possible. You might be right about the humidity. I gave them a little mist and they look perkier but I might just be optimistic. Do you think it's alright if I leave them outdoors under a covered porch for acclimation? Or too sunny still? It's certainly warm enough. Just found some bugs on one plant too Razz oh boy

Anyways thanks for the response! It's been hard finding people who have experience with this plant

Continuum
#4 Posted : 9/27/2016 1:08:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, good drainage (or at least drying out) is not necessary for kratom. They literally grow with part of the trunk underwater along bodies of water in their natural habitat sometimes.

As for acclimation, keeping a close eye on it is the key. In the shade outdoors seems reasonable, but take a close look at it at least daily to make sure you're not seeing burning on the new leaves. After a few days, move it out to a little more light and a little more and so on until it's in the sun all day.

The bugs could be the problem with the leaves too. Bugs that suck the liquid out of leaves can give the leaves a brown or dry appearance. Do you know what bugs they are, or can you describe them?

Here's a pic of mine from last year, which was it's first year growing from a rooted cutting. They really take off when they're happy.

Continuum attached the following image(s):
IMG_0834.JPG (3,652kb) downloaded 157 time(s).

โ—‹
#5 Posted : 9/27/2016 3:51:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Continuum wrote:
Yeah, good drainage (or at least drying out) is not necessary for kratom. They literally grow with part of the trunk underwater along bodies of water in their natural habitat sometimes.

As for acclimation, keeping a close eye on it is the key. In the shade outdoors seems reasonable, but take a close look at it at least daily to make sure you're not seeing burning on the new leaves. After a few days, move it out to a little more light and a little more and so on until it's in the sun all day.

The bugs could be the problem with the leaves too. Bugs that suck the liquid out of leaves can give the leaves a brown or dry appearance. Do you know what bugs they are, or can you describe them?

Here's a pic of mine from last year, which was it's first year growing from a rooted cutting. They really take off when they're happy.

Love Beautiful

Psilociraptor
#6 Posted : 9/27/2016 9:28:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow that plant is gorgeous! I can only hope mine take off like that Very happy And I'm not sure the type of bug but they were green and round. Very difficult to see, and it seemed like they were laying eggs on the underside of the leaf sort of near the stem. It's not totally infested, but there are a bit more holes on those leaves and the other plant is most definitely healthiER. Any thoughts? Don't want to spray anything nasty on them. I tried getting them with a q-tip but not sure if i got them all

Continuum
#7 Posted : 9/27/2016 10:13:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks! I have a second one that I got early in the Spring that is just now getting rolling, so luck does play a part.

The first line of defense for plant bugs is a hard stream of water. Put your hose nozzle on jet or something similar and blast them with as strong a stream as it can handle without tearing the leaves. Even if you treat with something else, mechanically knocking them off that like is a good beginning.

After that, neem oil is my go to. It's a natural product and works pretty well. It comes condensed, and you mix it into a spray bottle per the directions and add a squirt of organic dish soap. Neem works well, but since it's an oil it makes the plant susceptible to burn for several hours, so it should always be used in the early morning, late evening, or shade.

Continuum
#8 Posted : 9/28/2016 2:46:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I got to thinking, and the pic above is at the end of the second growing season, not the first.

Also realized I hadn't taken any pics of her this season. She's getting big!
m s 2.JPG (179kb) downloaded 132 time(s).
m s.JPG (164kb) downloaded 134 time(s).

Praxis.
#9 Posted : 9/28/2016 4:48:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Continuum wrote:
I got to thinking, and the pic above is at the end of the second growing season, not the first.

Also realized I hadn't taken any pics of her this season. She's getting big!

Beautiful! I've been meaning to add kratom to my garden, this is a great incentive! Big grin
"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Psilociraptor
#10 Posted : 9/30/2016 12:11:31 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow cont i am jealous of your garden! All i've got is my krat, a pair of awkward growing bridgedsii, and a bay leaf tree lol. I'm not sure what to do for these fellas though. They're getting worse. Slowly, very slowly, but definitely worse from what i can see. Some leaves have browning/crispyness on the tips and around the edges. Most of the small leaves are curling upward and turning pale. I plucked the bugs off with a q-tip. I occasionally find another here and there but nothing like before. I've been misting them several times a day. But no change. Those leaves just won't perk up. Not sure if i need to move them to another pot or if recovery should happen first. I know nothing of the soil they were planted in but they looked okay when i got them

Continuum
#11 Posted : 9/30/2016 12:55:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't repot it now. It's already stressed, and that would probably add to the problem, Just stabilize it's growing conditions and hope for the best.

Psilociraptor
#12 Posted : 9/30/2016 3:51:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Continuum wrote:
I wouldn't repot it now. It's already stressed, and that would probably add to the problem, Just stabilize it's growing conditions and hope for the best.

I'm worried. Of course a chill just came by too...

Guess we'll just see. Currently indoors, watering about once a day, misting. Will pull them out for a little sun when it warms up.

Psilociraptor
#13 Posted : 9/30/2016 4:10:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

What about controlled climate setups? I'm in Ga so I'm going to have to face the hard winter soon enough and I'm wondering if maybe some sort of setup I can put on my porch or indoors that won't cost an arm and leg that can keep it nice and humid and warm. Total botany noob here though so I don't know the pheasibility of that. Researching now but any input would be welcome

Continuum
#14 Posted : 9/30/2016 5:31:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Walmart (and box hardware stores, I think) sells 4' long double bulb T8 lights in the DIY/hardware area and 6500K color bulbs for them that run about $20 total for the fixture and bulbs. They aren't as good as T5, but they're hundreds of dollars cheaper an they will do enough to keep a plant alive indoors over the winter. I use several of those for all my plants over winter.

My kratom is acclimated to ambient humidity, including indoors over winter. They don't do as well as high humidity, but if your plant pulls through you need to be more concerned about it getting enough light than high humidity over winter.
T81.jpg (514kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
T82.jpg (213kb) downloaded 98 time(s).

Psilociraptor
#15 Posted : 10/1/2016 12:38:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Excellent! I will look into that thanks!

rOm
#16 Posted : 10/1/2016 12:07:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

These plants are absolutely Gorgeous !!! Am in love ...
Do you know if the leaves are psychoactive under our latitudes ( temperate climate, like in the U.S, western europe ).
Am a big fan of this plant and I notice I can find seeds here.
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Continuum
#17 Posted : 10/3/2016 12:40:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey rOm,

I've pulled off fresh leaves and they do taste alkaloid-y, but likely it's not possible to grow a plant with good content in our climate. It has to stay potted because it has to come inside in winter, and they need a lot of root space to produce a lot of alkaloids. It's my understanding that kratom produces the alkaloids in the roots and transfer them to the leaves. I like having ethnobotanicals around, even the ones that will never produce a usable amount, and figure at least cuttings are plentiful in the case I ever move somewhere warmer or someone who does have the proper climate wants to grow it.

Peace!

Psilociraptor
#18 Posted : 10/6/2016 12:19:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So i had a suggestion from someone else to switch pots and since they weren't getting any better I thought "why not". Holy rootbound. Guys should be happy soon. Seem to be a little stressed at the transfer, but they got everything they need now. The one that's been doing poorly was like 60-70 roots in the pot. The other was just starting to do bad and it's roots were just starting to get out of control. Seems like a pretty decent correlation to me so fingers crossed!

rOm
#19 Posted : 10/11/2016 9:38:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your answer Continuum. Yeh I love to grow those ethnobotanicals too for the same reason. But then, I would try to grow one healthy mother, if it would produce good alcaloid content I could have try grow ten of them.
It's a very good looking plant also.

Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

Psilociraptor
#20 Posted : 11/9/2016 5:06:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Continuum I just bought a t5 thinking I could plug it in and go... didn't realize it needs to be wired into the house. Any way around this? I don't have any place with available lighting to swap out