We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Have you laughed today? Scientific inquiry into the social information processes of human laughter Options

Anamnesia
#1 Posted : 9/1/2016 6:00:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I remember Alan Watts saying time and time again throughout the course of his lectures that humor/jokes/laughing is one of the most constructive things you can do. Him saying that has always stuck with me. I've personally noticed that when I smile at random people with a kind of detached sense of "I'm not judging you, you are wonderful as you are, and I love you no matter what" throughout my day, people, most of the time, return the smile with a smile!

A laughing person is always infectious, right? Whatever worries you have, or anxieties and depressions that may torment you, if you find yourself in the presence of a bubbly laughing care-free soul, don't you find that you too catch drift of that super-positive feeling they are emanating through their smiles and laughter?

I feel that you can get away with anything if noone can fool you into taking whatever-it-is seriously with gloom.

Be as the wind, and nothing can blow you over! Very happy

I don't have access to the full paper, but I did find the summary interesting, copied below.

Laughing bonds: a multidisciplinary inquiry into the social information processes of human laughter

Author(s):
Jorge Navarro ( Aragon Institute of Health Science Zaragoza Spain )
Raquel del Moral ( Aragon Institute of Health Science Zaragoza Spain )
Pedro C Marijuán ( Aragon Institute of Health Science Zaragoza Spain )

Citation:
Jorge Navarro , Raquel del Moral , Pedro C Marijuán , (2016) "Laughing bonds: a multidisciplinary inquiry into the social information processes of human laughter", Kybernetes, Vol. 45 Iss: 8, pp. -

Abstract:

Purpose
A new core hypothesis on laughter is presented. It has been built by putting together ideas from several disciplines: neurodynamics, evolutionary neurobiology, social networks, and communication studies. The hypothesis focuses on the social nature of laughter and contributes to ascertain its evolutionary origins in connection with the cognitive and social-emotional functions it performs.

Design/methodology/approach
An in-depth examination of laughter in the social communication context and along the life cycle of the individual is performed. This instinctive behaviour that appears as a ‘virtual’, non-physical form of ‘grooming’ would serve as a bond-making instrument in human groups. Further, the neurodynamic events underlying laughter production—and particularly the form of the neural entropy gradients—are congruent with a sentic hypothesis about the different emotional contents of laughter and their specific effects on bonding dynamics.

Findings
The new behavioural and neurodynamic tenets introduced about this unusual sound feature of our species justify the ubiquitous presence it has in social interactions at large and along the life cycle of the individual. Laughter, far from being a curious evolutionary relic or a rather inconsequential innate behaviour, should be considered as a highly efficient tool for inter-individual problem solving and for maintenance of social bonds.

Originality/value
Laughter, we will conclude, has been evolutionarily kept and augmented as an optimized tool for unconscious cognitive-emotional problem solving, and at the same time as a useful way to preserve the essential fabric of social bonds in close-knit groups and within human societies at large.
Genesis is Now, the Mind is Incarnate.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Cognitive Heart
#2 Posted : 9/1/2016 10:06:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LaughingBig grin A belly-full a day. Interesting info. Laughing is a universal reward and connection. Moar serotonin and endorphin's, but not too much. Wink
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

#3 Posted : 9/1/2016 10:07:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I crack a smile pretty much all the time, same with laughter. Such powerful medicine.

I know some of my funnest psychedelic experiences have been during mushrooms, sitting around a fire with a few close friends telling random stories, haha oh man.. those were the times. I would get in [deadly?] laughing fits during this. I would have to get up and physically walk a good distance away from the conversation or else id be unable to move, rolling around the ground in an uncontrollable laughter rage, almost not being able to catch my breathing. I know that during those moments when I was laughing - the space that I had found myself in became much much more ecstatic, much brighter, more lively, and any sort of tensions felt with the mushroom experience would instantly fade.

I know that one thing psychedelics have done for me over the years is being able to laugh at pretty much anything. Not in a condescending way either. Sure the world isn't utopia by any stretch and there's plenty of darkness in the world, but man there is alot of things to laugh about throughout the day if you look for them.

Koornut
#4 Posted : 9/2/2016 12:17:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Rapid blinking, laughing, wishing a sneeze well - these things a human make.
Inconsistency is in my nature.
The simple PHYLLODE tek

I'm just waiting for these bloody plants to grow

Intezam
#5 Posted : 9/4/2016 8:18:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Laughing yess we laughed our a**es off and it's early in the morning Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thumbs up

you know....we have this nephew, he is a bit.....'concerned' about (his) general health to say the least. He believes that vajra sneezure and vajra laughter exercises unwanted 'pressure' on his right heart chamber aand that it would cause (the right heart chamber) to 'bulge' towards from whence the pressure came, thereby increasing his chance to one day expire from heart failure by 0.000002%, so... when ever we laugh, we think of him for some extra acceleration.....it always works

VIII
#6 Posted : 9/4/2016 9:23:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Intezam wrote:
Laughing yess we laughed our a**es off and it's early in the morning Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thumbs up

you know....we have this nephew, he is a bit.....'concerned' about (his) general health to say the least. He believes that vajra sneezure and vajra laughter exercises unwanted 'pressure' on his right heart chamber aand that it would cause (the right heart chamber) to 'bulge' towards from whence the pressure came, thereby increasing his chance to one day expire from heart failure by 0.000002%, so... when ever we laugh, we think of him for some extra acceleration.....it always works

Hahahaha it works for me too! Big grin

I'll just leave this here Laughing
The inner soul is full of joy. Reveal my secrets and sew me whole. With each day, "I" heeds your call.
You may not care the slightest and may not be the brightest, but from here "I" sees you're mighty for you created it all.

And the jumbling sea rose above the wall.

Through this chaos comes the order you enthrall.

DoingKermit
#7 Posted : 9/7/2016 9:42:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh man I love a good laughing sesh. The ones where you literally stop making noise with a wide open mouth, while tears roll down the cheeks. Some of the most intense belly laughs have been with my best friends on psychedelics. Such good times.

I find smiling at random people (no matter who they are) in a big city like London is important. Everyone can sometimes seem super grumpy, while staring blankly at the floor... It's good to try break people out of that. You never know what kind of day someone might be having and sharing a smile could be exactly what they need.

fathomlessness
#8 Posted : 10/6/2016 1:14:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

arcana wrote:
I crack a smile pretty much all the time, same with laughter. Such powerful medicine.

I know some of my funnest psychedelic experiences have been during mushrooms, sitting around a fire with a few close friends telling random stories, haha oh man.. those were the times. I would get in [deadly?] laughing fits during this. I would have to get up and physically walk a good distance away from the conversation or else id be unable to move, rolling around the ground in an uncontrollable laughter rage, almost not being able to catch my breathing. I know that during those moments when I was laughing - the space that I had found myself in became much much more ecstatic, much brighter, more lively, and any sort of tensions felt with the mushroom experience would instantly fade.

I know that one thing psychedelics have done for me over the years is being able to laugh at pretty much anything. Not in a condescending way either. Sure the world isn't utopia by any stretch and there's plenty of darkness in the world, but man there is alot of things to laugh about throughout the day if you look for them.

DoingKermit wrote:
Oh man I love a good laughing sesh. The ones where you literally stop making noise with a wide open mouth, while tears roll down the cheeks. Some of the most intense belly laughs have been with my best friends on psychedelics. Such good times.

I find smiling at random people (no matter who they are) in a big city like London is important. Everyone can sometimes seem super grumpy, while staring blankly at the floor... It's good to try break people out of that. You never know what kind of day someone might be having and sharing a smile could be exactly what they need.

One of the greatest experiences on earth I think, comparable to an orgasm if not better! It really makes you feel human as koornut says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXf3wx5nPXU