We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
'Chicken of the Woods' [Laetiporus sulphureus] Options

โ—‹
#1 Posted : 9/29/2016 11:39:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Recently stumbled on a pretty fresh specimen of Laetiporus sulphureus which was growing on a downed/rotting oak.

There's a look-alike, Laetiporus huroniensis, although this species is known to specifically grow on coniferous trees, and gastro-reactions/poisoning has happened to people that mis-identified. There's also Laetiporus conifericola and Laetiporus gilbertsonii, though those are reasonably different looking from Laetiporus sulphureus.

I took a good portion. I left some on the tree though.

So I decided to wrap and freeze most for future cooking. Took a handfull, cut in thin strips, put in a oiled pan with garlic, salt and pepper cooked in with a little brown rice, lower/medium heat for 5 or so minutes.

I can see why they call it that name, this stuffs incredibly tasty! Has a slight lemon-y flavor near the end of the bite with hints of a chicken/lobster taste.

I'll definitely be throwing slices of these in with my stir fry dishes. Smile
โ—‹ attached the following image(s):
nb.jpg (96kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
photo3.jpg (148kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
photo1(4).jpg (38kb) downloaded 31 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.