We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Psychedelic Christianity Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 9/24/2016 4:02:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have there been any robust interpretations of the psychedelic experience through a Christian lens? We were talking over in the DMT shaman topic about how psychedelics are generally associated with Indigenous belief systems or new-age formulations.

I was wondering if there was every a Christian Psychedelic movement, or anything like that. We all know about the Marsh Chapel experiment, but I'm thinking about something more complete than a one-off experience.

Same question for Islam or Judaism.

I'd be interested in a Psychedelic Buddhism, but I'd want to make sure that whomever was doing had a strong understanding of what Buddhism has historically been, rather than the watered-down Buddhism-lite you see for sale at for-profit yoga studios.

Blessings
~ND
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Redguard
#2 Posted : 9/24/2016 6:25:42 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nathanial.Dread wrote:
Have there been any robust interpretations of the psychedelic experience through a Christian lens? We were talking over in the DMT shaman topic about how psychedelics are generally associated with Indigenous belief systems or new-age formulations.

I was wondering if there was every a Christian Psychedelic movement, or anything like that. We all know about the Marsh Chapel experiment, but I'm thinking about something more complete than a one-off experience.

~ND

These are some very good questions and I have asked them myself more then a few times. It's extremely unfortunate that over the years the catholic church destroyed much of its pagan ancestory and persecuted those that practiced their faith in ways different then their own. The use of psychadelics is akin to witchcraft which as we all know came with a heavy penalty. The gnostic gospels which can be dated back to the times of Christ are a more mystical interpretation of the Christ experience. IMHO this is the closest you will get.

Before I piss anyone off, I do not think the gnostics were drug users, it's just that I've combined psychadelics with meditation far too many times and I find the old gnostic texts rather illuminating.
“I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long …arousing and persuading and reproaching…You will not easily find another like me.”-- Socrates

Glossolalia
#3 Posted : 9/24/2016 6:49:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Last year I was on a mescaline trip and for some reason words from scripture recurred in my head: "Consider the lilies of the field, they neither toil nor spin." So I Googled it and decided to reread the famous Sermon on the Mount, as it's been some years. I completely cracked up, was blubbering in tears of joy, because all of the words which had previously washed over me suddenly struck to the depth of my soul.

I never regarded myself as Christian or any other institutionalized religion, but the psychedelic experience showed me that the wisdom of the Christ, the wisdom of the Buddha, the wisdom of Lao Tzu, the wisdom of the Bhagavad Gita, it's all the same truth. Like you say, through a different lens, but the same underneath.

I would think that for most Jews or Christians, psychedelics may show them the fallacy of thinking that they are specially chosen children of God and that followers of other religion are spiritually lost.
I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes. — Walt Whitman

#4 Posted : 9/24/2016 7:10:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Glossolalia wrote:

I never regarded myself as Christian or any other institutionalized religion, but the psychedelic experience showed me that the wisdom of the Christ, the wisdom of the Buddha, the wisdom of Lao Tzu, the wisdom of the Bhagavad Gita, it's all the same truth. Like you say, through a different lens, but the same underneath.

acacian
#5 Posted : 9/24/2016 8:15:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have found gnosticism a very interesting lens for reflecting on psychedelic experiences.. and the gnostics are regarded by some as the first christians.. due to the sudden discovery of the texts (known as the Nag Hammadi scrolls) in Egypt in 1945, they are untarnished by many centuries of church dogma so they give insight into what christianity was once like. there are very psychedelic undertones to a lot of the passages.. dmt often comes to mind when reading and vice versa is an interesting lens for interpreting gnostic teachings..

"For the Father, the exalted one, they know by his Will, which is the Spirit that breathes through the members of the All and gives them a thought to search for the unknown, just as somebody is moved by a fragrance to seek the source of that fragrance - and the fragrance of the Father surpasses such unworthy things. For its sweetness lets the aeons sense an indescribable pleasure, and gives them the thought that they should be reunited with the one who desires that they should know him in oneness, and that they should assist one another through the spirit that is sown in them."

in gnostical terms hyperspace could certainly be interpreted as the "pleroma" ("the totality or fullness of the Godhead which dwells in Christ" ) or even the "son" or image of the father (Christ itself).. while something like the 5-meo-dmt flash in its more non duel style experience might again through the gnostic lens be interpreted as the experience of the father itself (the father also known as the "One", which;

"is not among things that exist, but is much greater. Not that it is greater. Rather as it is in itself, it is not part of the aeons or time. For whatever is part of a realm was once prepared by another. Time was not alloted to it, since it recieves nothing from anyone: what would be recieved would be on loan. The one who is first does not need to recieve anything from another. It beholds itself in its light."

.. to be taken with a grain of salt of course.. it is simply an interesting lens for psychedelics

Intezam
#6 Posted : 9/24/2016 9:48:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not sure if we understood this right, but with the exception of dajjalism (counterfeit religionism) we consider all major and minor religions true psychedelics. We believe dajjalism is not limited to counterfeiting the Abracadabric religions -- we have also seen it elsewhere.....

dragonrider
#7 Posted : 9/25/2016 12:08:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some people argue that Socrates was a sort of proto-christ. He partook in the eleusinian-mystic cult, as did Plato.

Legarto Rey
#8 Posted : 10/2/2016 11:36:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

There is significant "evidence" that Christianity has its roots in plant induced, "mixed wine", entheogenic experiencing. This, of course, was not unique to Xtianity as plant induced mystic state catalysis was ubiquitous amongst segments of essentially all traditions well into late antiquity.

N.D, you seem a rather empirical person who seeks tangible evidence to support theories. I recommend, egodeath.com, as a springboard for investigating the near certainty that plant induced mystical states have been foundational in the development of many "religious" traditions. Particularly prior to their co-opting by the "power structure".

This is a fascinating, under appreciated, aspect of human mytho-religious foundations. While you study, keep an open mind and allow personal, plant catalyzed experiencing to inform your interpretation of myth, scripture and religious story, whatever their origins.

Like physical orgasm, mystical orgasm seems to be innate to the human soma/psyche, when appropriately catalyzed. Not surprisingly, this experience is similarly had as we all share a common physiology/psychology as humans. The differences explanatorily, end up arising from the immediate socio/culturo/mytho/religious milieu from which they germinate.

Using, egodeath.com, as a resource/reference only(not some doctrinal authority) to initiate your search, I suspect you may find it useful.

Peace

Godsmacker
#9 Posted : 10/2/2016 1:49:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Considering the structure of most Christian texts, i'd be more inclined to consider datura/brugmansia alkaloids as the cause behind some of the moar psychedelic sections of the scriptures. Whilst a voice from the heavens above telling Abraham to cut off the outer casing of his penis and sacrifice his first born son to said voice(s), does sound psychedelic/schizo-effective in nature, i'd be moar inclined to believe it to be a result from a horrible delirium-ridden death grips trip than I would a syrian rue-acacia style ayahuascapade.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

Psilociraptor
#10 Posted : 10/2/2016 1:52:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I think the church of Santo Daime is a pretty clear example of this. Here is an interesting FAQ that gives some insight to general beliefs and principles of the church http://santodaime.com/en/asks/#01

null24
#11 Posted : 10/2/2016 4:22:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Psilociraptor wrote:
I think the church of Santo Daime is a pretty clear example of this. Here is an interesting FAQ that gives some insight to general beliefs and principles of the church http://santodaime.com/en/asks/#01

Yes, or the Mazatec of Mexico or any number of syncretic tribal religions that use various psychedelics. Also UDV.

I'm sure you're aware, ND, of Rick Statesman's delving into Judaism through the lens of DMT with his recent book the title of which I've forgotten. That is not what you're looking for though, only one person's book.

Anecdotally, I myself have had moments in a flash where I understood'Christ consciousness" and the crucifixion. Also, I distinctly recall on my very first trip, the very first 'psychedelic realization' occurred whilst looking at a bush of some sort and as the branches twisted and curled around themselves, it appeared to me as if they were in fire without the flames, and the burning bush passage from Genesis popped in my head. It was being"consumed and yet not consumed" to paraphrase. I've been personally convinced Moses was pretty high ever since.

Sorry, this is all personal anecdote and info that's right at the surface of your inquiry, and doubtfully any help to your quest, nd, but I've only got two cents to throw in .
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*