We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Beneficial Effects of Harmalas? Options

JohnIce2
#1 Posted : 8/17/2016 11:54:58 PM

All posts are imaginary.

So I found this study that was done on Syrian Rue and I am curious as to what all of you think about the benefits of using the Harmala alkaloids. I had a bit of a hard time with the technical language of the document (as I'm not a scientist/doctor or well versed in their technical language) and I was wondering if someone may be able to make better sense of it.

Heres the link: Syrian Rue Study

Thank you all for your time and I hope this may be informative to those ignorant on this matter.
All posts are imaginary and are just examples for me to learn simple to advanced organic chemistry processes.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

BundleflowerPower
#2 Posted : 8/18/2016 12:03:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've read that paper. I feel like p harmala is a panacea. It can be used to heal all sorts of things, such as infections and so forth.
I really can't expand much on that paper, but here's a less technical article.

http://entheology.com/pl...anum-harmala-syrian-rue/

Praxis.
#3 Posted : 8/18/2016 2:33:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There's evidence that it can help protect against liver toxicity from alcohol abuse.

Hepatoprotective activity of Peganum harmala against ethanol-induced liver damages in rats

"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 8/18/2016 2:38:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

https://www.researchgate...78193415%401467363604318
PDF for Beckley foundation harmala/ayahuasca neurogenesis research.

This is all amazing research confirming benefits of harmala alkaloids and ayahuasca with specific focus on the generation of new neurons in the brain.

Quote:
For a long time, a dogma has persisted that no new neurons are born in the brains of adults. Since the late 1990’s, this dated paradigm has been challenged by experimental evidence. The birth of new neurons, known as neurogenesis, occurs in two brain areas: around the ventricles and in a region of the hippocampus. The hippocampus plays a key role in important cognitive tasks such as learning and memory. Its function declines with the normal aging process, but does so much more dramatically in the presence of certain devastating neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
http://beckleyfoundation...-pau-research-programme/

Quote:

In the study participated the following researchers from the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC): Jose Morales-García, María Isabel Rodriguez-Franco, Ana Pérez-Castillo and Mario de la Fuente Revenga. They found that harmine and tetrahydroharmine, the alkaloids present in highest amounts in ayahuasca, stimulate the growth and maturation of neurons and promote their birth from the stem cells.

Attachments:
The first image is the control, when only salty water (saline) added to the cell cultures. The nuclei of the stem cells can be seen in blue.These stem cells have been treated with saline for several days and only a few have developed into young neurons (the few green sports in the image).

The second image shows the results after several days of treatment with harmine: blue is still present because it’s a marker of cell nuclei, and all cells have nuclei (stem cells and neurons). The green spots are the young neurons marked using Tuj1 staining (this staining is specific for “neuron-specific class III beta-tubulin) present in recently created neurons. The red spots show more mature neurons. The staining marks the “microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2). Its presence increases during neuron development.

The third image shows the results obtained after several days of treatment with tetrahydroharmine. The meaning of the colors is the same.

-eg
entheogenic-gnosis attached the following image(s):
Slide2.jpg (117kb) downloaded 308 time(s).
Slide3.jpg (163kb) downloaded 307 time(s).
Slide4.jpg (183kb) downloaded 310 time(s).

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 8/18/2016 2:46:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

JohnIce2 wrote:
So I found this study that was done on Syrian Rue and I am curious as to what all of you think about the benefits of using the Harmala alkaloids. I had a bit of a hard time with the technical language of the document (as I'm not a scientist/doctor or well versed in their technical language) and I was wondering if someone may be able to make better sense of it.

Heres the link: Syrian Rue Study

Thank you all for your time and I hope this may be informative to those ignorant on this matter.

It all seemed pretty straight forward to me, was there something in particular you were having issues understanding?

-eg

Final Incarnate
#6 Posted : 8/18/2016 4:57:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dude ty . i also read something, on Tyrosine Kinase inhibitors increasing production of pinealocytes, which have effects on Melatonin, pinoline etc.

its in a thread i made, but a natural TKI is curcumin,, main ingredient in turmeric.

Ive read Pinoline is similar to Harmaline, so i kinda wouldn't be surprised, if regular Harmala/rue use could increase natural mild trips.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7532409

Final Incarnate is an RPG Character in Terra's Terra . Everything this character has done or does is part of an RPG Story

JohnIce2
#7 Posted : 8/19/2016 1:36:27 AM

All posts are imaginary.

Thank You for the Replies!
As far as your question to me Gnosis, I am not to educated in the technical language of the write up I stumbled onto. I guess a good example of my delima on this would be this: The technical term for a pain killer is a analgesic but since I have not studied these terms (or memorized them and what their specific effects are based on their names) I don't know what their effects are necessarily. I can look them up tho. I was personally curious as to Harmalas effects on say Cancerous cells though.

And Final Incarnate I have personally seen a similar effect to what you describe. In my experience Harmala Alkaloids can be used in conjunction with another substance in order to increase its effects significantly. In my experience it has a great "Synergy" with Cannabis when the two are used together. I can actually have a very mild trip from a light does of Harmalas after smoking.
All posts are imaginary and are just examples for me to learn simple to advanced organic chemistry processes.

entheogenic-gnosis
#8 Posted : 8/19/2016 11:08:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

JohnIce2 wrote:
Thank You for the Replies!
As far as your question to me Gnosis, I am not to educated in the technical language of the write up I stumbled onto. I guess a good example of my delima on this would be this: The technical term for a pain killer is a analgesic but since I have not studied these terms (or memorized them and what their specific effects are based on their names) I don't know what their effects are necessarily. I can look them up tho. I was personally curious as to Harmalas effects on say Cancerous cells though.

And Final Incarnate I have personally seen a similar effect to what you describe. In my experience Harmala Alkaloids can be used in conjunction with another substance in order to increase its effects significantly. In my experience it has a great "Synergy" with Cannabis when the two are used together. I can actually have a very mild trip from a light does of Harmalas after smoking.

I see, that makes sense, I suppose just looking up words which are not understood is the best route to go.

Below are some links regarding ayahuasca and cancer:

http://m.smo.sagepub.com...050312113508389.abstract

http://flipper.diff.org/appaccountlogin/items/7396

http://psychonautdocs.com/docs/mckenna_aya.pdf
PDF

https://thetruthaboutcan...ahuasca-tea-cure-cancer/

http://www.collective-ev...ahuasca-can-cure-cancer/

This article proposes potential therapeutic and cancer fighting potential of DMT, and it elucidated DMT' s interaction with the sigma-1 receptor and explains how this may mediate the ability of DMT to fight cancer...

It also elucidates the harmala alkaloids anti-tumor potential, as well as therapeutic affect...

Quote:
The following is a detailed functional analysis:
“DMT binds to the sigma-1 receptor, which provides new opportunities for understanding how ayahuasca may produce its marked effects on the body and mind and what might be the role of endogenous DMT and how ayahuasca may have effects on cancer.
The human sigma-1 receptor has been cloned and shows no homology with other mammalian proteins. Single-photon emission tomography (SPET) analysis in humans revealed that these receptors are present in organs such as the lung and liver and most concentrated in the brain. Sigma-1 receptor activity has been implicated in a variety of diseases, including cancer, depression, and anxiety. Sigma-1 receptors are found in high densities in many human cancer cell lines, including lung, prostate, colon, ovaries, breast, and brain; thus, sigma ligands are regarded as potential novel antineoplastic tools.”

“DMT binds sigma-1 receptors with moderate affinity (KD = 14.75 µM, approximately half the affinity for 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A receptors) and, at high concentrations, is also capable of inhibiting voltage-gated sodium channels. Thus, DMT may exert two types of effects through sigma-1 receptors: at low concentrations, it regulates calcium flow from the ER to the mitochondria, whereas at higher concentrations, it exerts diverse effects at the plasma membrane region. The effect on calcium influx into the mitochondria may be extremely important for cancer treatment given that an energetic imbalance between excessive cytosolic aerobic glycolysis and reduced mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (the Warburg effect) was recently suggested as the seventh hallmark of cancer. This metabolic profile of cancer cells is accompanied by a hyperpolarization of the mitochondrial membrane potential that may be reduced by the calcium influx triggered by DMT binding to the sigma-1 receptor at the MAM. This effect may facilitate the electrochemical processes at the electron transport chain inside the mitochondria, thus increasing the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and leading these cells to apoptotic pathways. When high DMT concentrations induce sigma-1 receptor translocation to the plasma membrane, many cellular effects would occur due to the receptor’s interaction with different ion channels. At high concentrations of DMT, a calcium influx and mitochondrial membrane depolarization might be enough to also activate the permeability transition pore (PTP), inducing mitochondria swelling, rupture, and apoptosis.

For all these effects to help explain the available case reports of ayahuasca on cancer treatment, DMT’s physiological degradation by enteric monoamine oxidase (primarily MAO-A) after oral consumption should be inhibited, thus allowing the DMT to pass into circulation. The pharmacological activity of β-carbolines (primarily harmine) in ayahuasca inhibits MAO, with a high affinity for MAO-A. Therefore, the specific effects of ayahuasca on the different types of cancer could also vary depending on the predominant MAO subtype, given that the ratio of MAO-A to MAO-B varies, for example, from 1:3 in the brain to 4:1 in the intestine, and the placenta has only MAO-A and blood platelets have only MAO-B. Another consequence of inhibiting MAO in different tissues is interference with apoptotic pathways, thus strengthening the synergistic action of β-carbolines and DMT.

In addition to allowing DMT to exert its effects on cancer tissues and cells, β-carbolines may have other important roles. It was recently demonstrated that harmine activates pathways of apoptosis in B16F-10 melanoma cells; it inhibits tumor-specific neo-vessel formation, both in vitro and in vivo in mice, through a series of mechanisms involving decreased serum levels of pro-angiogenic factors and an increase in antitumor factors and displays an inhibitory effect on cell proliferation against human carcinoma cells. Harmine and harmaline were also shown to reduce cell proliferation in the human leukemia cell line HL60. Harmine was also shown to induce apoptosis in the human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line HepG2. Harmine may also be beneficial in cancer treatment due to its inhibitory effect on the DYRK1A kinase. This kinase is implicated in the resistance of many cancerous tissues to pro-apoptotic stimuli and the enhancement of proliferation, migration, and reduced cell death. Another pharmacological effect of harmine that may be important in brain cancer is its role on the EAAT2 glial glutamate reuptake transporter. Harmine was identified as one the most efficient molecules to upregulate this transporter in glial cells among a library of 1040 Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved substances. This fact may be of importance because most brain tumors are of glial origin and involve excessive glutamate release, causing neurotoxicity. Also important for gliomas may be the binding of harmine to imidazoline I2 receptors. These receptors are highly expressed in gliomas, and their density increases with malignancy in human cells. However, their physiological role in these tissues remains unclear.

A recent study has shown that DMT inhibits the indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase enzyme. This enzyme, when upregulated, is associated with malignant cells escaping immune surveillance, and thus DMT may help increase immune functions against malignant cells.”

In summary, it is hypothesized that the combined actions of β-carbolines and DMT present in ayahuasca may diminish tumor blood supply, activate apoptotic pathways, diminish cell proliferation, and change the energetic metabolic imbalance of cancer cells, which is known as the Warburg effect. Therefore, ayahuasca may act on cancer hallmarks such as angiogenesis, apoptosis, and cell metabolism.”
http://www.munaymedicine.com/pages/ayahuasca.aspx

it is hypothesized that the combined actions of β-carbolines and DMT present in ayahuasca may diminish tumor blood supply, activate apoptotic pathways, diminish cell proliferation, and change the energetic metabolic imbalance of cancer cells, which is known as the Warburg effect.
(This is a brief description regarding how they hypothesize harmalas and DMT potential anti-cancer abilities)

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=70677&find=unread
In this thread I research the sigma-1 receptor and DMT, the above anti-cancer piece originated from this thread.

-eg

JohnIce2
#9 Posted : 8/21/2016 5:29:02 AM

All posts are imaginary.

Thank You Gnosis! You always know the info haha! I will look into this stuff and see if I can learn more about it in my free time. Again thank you and have a wonderful day/night!

fathomlessness
#10 Posted : 8/21/2016 11:10:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
https://www.researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html?id=577631143d7f4b88fa224982&assetKey=AS%3A378964578193415%401467363604318

This is all amazing research confirming benefits of harmala alkaloids and ayahuasca with specific focus on the generation of new neurons in the brain.

Quote:
For a long time, a dogma has persisted that no new neurons are born in the brains of adults. Since the late 1990’s, this dated paradigm has been challenged by experimental evidence. The birth of new neurons, known as neurogenesis, occurs in two brain areas: around the ventricles and in a region of the hippocampus. The hippocampus plays a key role in important cognitive tasks such as learning and memory. Its function declines with the normal aging process, but does so much more dramatically in the presence of certain devastating neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.

Quote:

In the study participated the following researchers from the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC): Jose Morales-García, María Isabel Rodriguez-Franco, Ana Pérez-Castillo and Mario de la Fuente Revenga. They found that harmine and tetrahydroharmine, the alkaloids present in highest amounts in ayahuasca, stimulate the growth and maturation of neurons and promote their birth from the stem cells.

Attachments:
The first image is the control, when only salty water (saline) added to the cell cultures. The nuclei of the stem cells can be seen in blue.These stem cells have been treated with saline for several days and only a few have developed into young neurons (the few green sports in the image).

The second image shows the results after several days of treatment with harmine: blue is still present because it’s a marker of cell nuclei, and all cells have nuclei (stem cells and neurons). The green spots are the young neurons marked using Tuj1 staining (this staining is specific for “neuron-specific class III beta-tubulin) present in recently created neurons. The red spots show more mature neurons. The staining marks the “microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP-2). Its presence increases during neuron development.

The third image shows the results obtained after several days of treatment with tetrahydroharmine. The meaning of the colors is the same.
-eg

Thanks for the links but once again I am going to have to ask you what it would be like to transfer that in to a real world scenario. IE, would this neurogenesis effect intelligence noticeable? Or is it more in the 0.000342% increase range? P.s. u didn't respond to my other post either... something about how psilocybin mitigates fear learning in mice, remember?

The scientific data is useless to me unless I can converse with someone about how that might apply to myself or other human beings. Fair point, don't u think?

Apart from neurogenesis "P. harmala extract is toxic at high-doses[7,77,81,82] and can cause paralysis, liver degeneration, spongiform changes in the central nervous system,[83] euphoria, convulsions, digestive problems (nausea, vomiting), hypothermia and bradycardia"

entheogenic-gnosis
#11 Posted : 8/27/2016 3:26:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

fathomlessness wrote:
entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
https://www.researchgate.net/file.PostFileLoader.html?id=577631143d7f4b88fa224982&assetKey=AS%3A378964578193415%401467363604318

Quote:

Quote:

Attachments:

-eg

Thanks for the links but once again I am going to have to ask you what it would be like to transfer that in to a real world scenario. IE, would this neurogenesis effect intelligence noticeable? Or is it more in the 0.000342% increase range? P.s. u didn't respond to my other post either... something about how psilocybin mitigates fear learning in mice, remember?

The scientific data is useless to me unless I can converse with someone about how that might apply to myself or other human beings. Fair point, don't u think?

Apart from neurogenesis "P. harmala extract is toxic at high-doses[7,77,81,82] and can cause paralysis, liver degeneration, spongiform changes in the central nervous system,[83] euphoria, convulsions, digestive problems (nausea, vomiting), hypothermia and bradycardia"

(As for the harmala toxicity bit, most things become toxic when taken in excessive dose, this does not negate or mitigate the benefits and legitimate uses of the compound )

I apologize if I failed to respond to one of your posts, I post in many threads, it's difficult to keep track of all them sometimes.
(If I can not respond in a productive manner I may also pass by a post, however this is rare, and generally only applies to contentious or frivolous messages)

I think the benefits of neurogenesis in the hippocampus should be self evident, as the hippocampus is crucial for cognitive tasks such as learning and memory. Restoring neurons in the hippocampus could aide in treating neurodegenerative disorders (such as Alzheimer’s disease ) and could possibly be useful in treating some psychiatric disorders, this neurogenesis in the ventricles and the hippocampus also has potential to aide in reparation of brain damage associated with stroke or trauma.

Quote:
We are currently conducting additional experiments to discern the magnitude of the observed effects, as well as undertaking studies on live animals.

As you can see further research is in the works, which should elucidate the full implications and parameters of these findings, however the implications of the research already provided are immense, and the future research is bound to be fruitful and exciting indeed.

If there is something specifically which you would like to discuss, I would be happy to contribute my thoughts and input.

-eg

tregar
#12 Posted : 8/27/2016 5:21:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great study entheogenic-gnosis! well done, thanks for sharing w/pics.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

hermes111
#13 Posted : 8/28/2016 3:29:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,

even if one ignores the whole neurogenesis thing. Harmala would still improve intelligence/cognitive function & treat alzheimers disease because it's an acetylcholinesteraseinhibitor (pharmacologically similar to nerve gas, but in a good wayLaughing ). click click2 click3

Personal experience I have, because a family member regularly infects me with antibiotic resistant bacteria, is that it works against that.

click
pdf1
pdf2
pdf3

Also I might have/had skin cancer (undiagnosed, but certainly looks like it), which I attribue to harmala having stopped growing.

Powerful antianxiety & antidepressing effects too.

One of my favorite plants Love.

EDIT: Powerful vasodilator too.

JohnIce2
#14 Posted : 8/29/2016 7:41:39 AM

All posts are imaginary.

Wow awesome! Haha didn't think Harmalas could help to treat Alzheimers! So would putting ones self through the experience of ingesting it (which was horrible when I did btw) every now and then atribute to generation of better health even from a state of current healthiness?

hermes111
#15 Posted : 8/29/2016 8:59:46 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Depends what you mean by health. Won't make a 500 pound woman run a marathon, that's for sure Laughing.

Personally, the intestinal health aspect is most impressive to me. If I ever get food poisoning or diarrhea I swallow about a half tablespoon of whole seeds or drink some harmala wine (not much, about 1-2g equivalent seeds). Fixes the problem pretty quickly usually, but in bad cases I do it before going to bed & sleep well and wake up fine the next day.
Doesn't produce any nausea for me.

Has a ton of merit as far cognitive function & mental state goes too.

ShamensStamen
#16 Posted : 8/29/2016 10:01:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Idk if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Harmalas have a reverse tolerance where the more you take them, the stronger they get, and with regular ingestion the nausea/vomiting/body load goes away and things feel much, much cleaner. I've been taking strong dosages of Rue daily for about 5 months now. I've also noticed a good bit of weight loss from taking the Harmalas, as well as an anti-depressant/medicinal effect. Also, every now and then i seem to get memories from my childhood, and sometimes will feel similar to how i felt when i was younger.

hermes111
#17 Posted : 8/29/2016 10:55:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Are you a regular consumer of caffeine? I'd do some daily oral harmala for a few weeks, but I always get headaches and insomnia because I'm addicted to teaSick.

ShamensStamen
#18 Posted : 8/30/2016 12:56:10 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, i drink sodas, but i don't get headaches much, but it will make me feel like totally awake when it's like 3 or 4 in the morning lol, depending on how much Caffeine i consume and how late i consume it. Caffeine is metabolized by CYP1A2 and Harmalas seem to inhibit 1A2 so it potentiates the Caffeine. I actually like the right amount of Caffeine with the Harmalas, adds a nice stimulation to things. One thing i've noticed is Coffee doesn't seem to do well with the Harmalas, but pure Caffeine does, so there's probably something else in Coffee that gives me weird reactions like vasoconstriction, neck tightness and a headache. Idk about tea though.

hermes111
#19 Posted : 8/30/2016 1:26:22 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Same that's why I mentioned insomnia. I can drink a can of tea and go to bed right after because of my tolerance, but if I had oral harmala I can't sleep even with low amounts. No problems when I smoke harmalas though.

Doesn't matter much if I take pure caffeine or tea as far as headaches go.
But it's not consistent, sometimes I don't have any issues, sometimes I do.

ShamensStamen
#20 Posted : 8/30/2016 1:45:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Well headaches from Harmalas can be caused by a few things, like too much vasodilation or low blood pressure. Since i've been taking the Rue daily for awhile now, i haven't noticed any headaches much at all, even with the Caffeine. Though the last couple of nights i've been taking Clonidine for sleep because i'm out of Tizanidine which is what i usually use, and Clonidine itself gives me a headache sometimes but it's blood pressure related, but tonight i am feeling a bit of a headache, but most likely due to the Clonidine and not the Rue.

12NEXT