We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12345NEXT
I finally got a mass spec Options

benzyme
#41 Posted : 8/6/2016 12:57:04 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

normal scan range is 15-2000 amu..
since it's ESI, it can fragment 100,000 amu macromolecules.

I'll get into zoom scan mode later, when looking for specific analytes, and ms/ms when elucidating isomers.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#42 Posted : 8/6/2016 1:53:02 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

That's great, you really have got yourself a bargain there!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#43 Posted : 8/6/2016 3:32:48 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

oh believe me, I know. Big grin

thanks.

I'm bidding on a Thermo Surveyor MS pump/autosampler/PDA detector stack. If I can get it for 1500 or less, that's another steal.
I already have all the software, cables, and even configurations on the comp. the whole shebang would sell for 25K on ebay, I'd have it for less than 7500.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#44 Posted : 8/7/2016 4:47:09 AM

analytical chemist

gettin there.

still baselining.
notice, the range is set to tryptamine, phenethylamine, ergoline, and beta-carboline range.

NL will be around E^ 7 when optimized.

been troubleshooting all day to get all diagnostics to pass, namely the RF modulation and frequency, and optics lens voltage offset. it is now running like a swiss watch. Cool

just need to calibrate and tune. waiting on calibration solution
benzyme attached the following image(s):
IMG_2883.JPG (3,135kb) downloaded 384 time(s).

1ce
#45 Posted : 8/14/2016 2:37:41 PM

Communications-Security Analyst

Well this is very exciting Very happy

I've been away far too long! Benzyme this is awesome!

benzyme
#46 Posted : 8/14/2016 6:13:55 PM

analytical chemist

thank you.

I was formally trained in the art of LC-MS/CE-MS, and am at a decent point financially, so I pulled the trigger on a hell of a deal. Just ordered an HPLC module too, same one I used in school. I'll get this all working like a well tuned system, with sensitivity in the femtomole regime, shortly. Big grin

benzyme
#47 Posted : 8/20/2016 4:06:47 AM

analytical chemist

Love
IMG_2914.JPG (1,159kb) downloaded 306 time(s).

Lichen
#48 Posted : 8/25/2016 6:30:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Nexus historical moment right here - proud of you Benz.
I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

benzyme
#49 Posted : 8/27/2016 1:00:53 AM

analytical chemist

thank you.

it's...challenging, rewarding, and always a learning experience. I learn something everytime I power it up.
yesterday, I noticed the electrospray plume under low lighting, it was a faintly glowing purple color.

and I put in an order for reserpine standard. with that, I can properly tune this instrument as well as a number of other instruments, and perform a validation. I already have calibration solution, as is depicted in the video.

Jees
#50 Posted : 8/27/2016 11:24:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Exiting,
make sure you keep Beaker in check Pleased

Ulim
#51 Posted : 8/29/2016 6:41:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

Fine equipment though. I still cant decide which direction in chemistry to go Confused

Its hard to find something that I really want.

Will expand to make a huge analytical lab? With even more equipment?

Thats actually not that bad. If you get a good lab going you can have plenty of work and thus even more equipment.

benzyme
#52 Posted : 8/30/2016 6:17:41 AM

analytical chemist

If I do, it would be an FTIR spec. NMR isn't practical in a house.. but as you can see, mass spec is. Very happy
maybe I'll lease a space eventually, but I really just want to master mass spec, and do some more method development. perhaps
create some inventions along the way.

benzyme
#53 Posted : 8/30/2016 6:28:40 AM

analytical chemist

I'm still waiting on Alfa to review my account, and send me the reserpine standard. Once I get that, and properly tune, I will report back and begin accepting samples. I look forward to elucidating the efficacy of certain procedures regarding extraction of cubes and the like. I have analyzed that before.

benzyme
#54 Posted : 9/7/2016 3:00:50 AM

analytical chemist

Reserpine arrives tomorrow.

meanwhile, I was able to run an old sample this weekend...
File Sep 06, 9 05 31 PM.jpg (816kb) downloaded 141 time(s).

Jees
#55 Posted : 9/7/2016 11:50:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:

Reserpine arrives tomorrow.

meanwhile, I was able to run an old sample this weekend...
This sample was not reserpine then, since it's mollar mass is 608.68 and that m/z peak is nowhere any integer number of z

Do I make sense somehow or display stupidity here? Pleased

benzyme
#56 Posted : 9/7/2016 12:38:12 PM

analytical chemist

you are correct.
the sample is a smaller molecule, and much more... mind-manifesting. Wink

Poekus
#57 Posted : 9/7/2016 4:17:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Nice gear! Does this measure also the quantity of a molecule in a sample or only if it's present?

benzyme
#58 Posted : 9/7/2016 4:23:46 PM

analytical chemist

Quote:
both. Big grin

TIC (total ion count) chromatograms can give quantitative information about the relative amounts
in a sample. MS/MS data gives structural information.

downwardsfromzero
#59 Posted : 9/7/2016 11:15:17 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

benzyme wrote:
the sample is a smaller molecule, and much more... mind-manifesting. Wink

That's quite a large peak around m/z 188. Hmmm....

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

benzyme
#60 Posted : 9/8/2016 12:10:45 AM

analytical chemist

Big grin

for those unsure of what Reserpine is for...
basically, the ion trap mass spectrometer makes measurements based on resonant frequency, a fixed freq., and is tuned to have highest sensitivity to 609.2 m/z. Reserpine is the tuning standard. after an acceptable level of sensitivity (aka NL, normalized level) is attained, a calibration is performed.
File Sep 07, 6 08 01 PM.jpg (945kb) downloaded 139 time(s).

PREV12345NEXT