We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
the fear legitimizes the flash Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 8/9/2016 11:55:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
One of the interesting characteristics of DMT is that it sometimes inspires fear - this marks the experience as existentially authentic. One of the interesting approaches to evaluating such a compound is to see how eager people are to do it a second time. A touch of terror gives the stamp of validity to the experience because it means, "This is real." We are in the balance. We read the literature, we know the maximum doses, the LD-50, and so on. But nevertheless, so great is one's faith in the mind that when one is out in it one comes to feel that the rules of pharmacology do not really apply and that control of existence on that plane is really a matter of focus of will and good luck.

I'm not saying that there's something intrinsically good about terror. I'm saying that, granted the situation, if one is not terrified then one must be somewhat out of contact with the full dynamics of what is happening. To not be terrified means either that one is a fool or that one has taken a compound that paralyzes the ability to be terrified. I have nothing against hedonism, and I certainly bring something out of it. But the experience must move one's heart, and it will not move the heart unless it deals with the issues of life and death. If it deals with life and death it will move one to fear, it will move one to tears, it will move one to laughter. These places are profoundly strange and alien. -terence McKenna

After the first time I smoked DMT, I was terrorfied of the stuff, it took me a good deal of courage before I was able to return, and I still shake in fear every time before I'm about to enter the flash...

For me it was death,

-eg

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 8/9/2016 11:57:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I did not mean to post that...

I was going to.save it and work on it when I got home and clicked post by mistake, I'm not able to delete my posts, and I have things to do for the next few hours, so I'll finish this post then, I apologize for my error, and the incomplete post.

-eg

Another
#3 Posted : 8/9/2016 12:47:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Smile
Looking forward to reading this when it's complete.
I,ve heard Terence speach that you quoted, and I couldn't agree more!
All the best / Another
Don't believe everything you think.

entheogenic-gnosis
#4 Posted : 8/9/2016 4:14:26 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ha, knowing somebody was actually going to read this made me fell as though I should complete it, and that I should provide some good writing on top of that, and I ended up becoming locked up on the topic, my bad, that's the issue with inspiration, I can't write without it, and it can't be forced.

I wrote a bunch of nonsense, most of which we deleted, I'll have to return to this topic another time...I left the last few bits, though they should have been deleted as well...

After describing my first encounter with dimethyltryptamine to others, and keep in mind I'm open about the difficulty and trauma involved with this event, it's often difficult for people to understand my fascination with the compound, or even more so, why I would ever go back.

I'm still uncertain as to how people could go through a high dose DMT flash, and come back without being entirely shaken up, as mckenna quite accurately articulated
Quote:
the experience must move one's heart, and it will not move the heart unless it deals with the issues of life and death. If it deals with life and death it will move one to fear, it will move one to tears, it will move one to laughter.
Every person that I have seen take DMT will generally return a stuttering mess, part of this is due to encountering something that doesn't easily translate into human language, mckenna beautifully articulates this phenomena
Quote:
Being monkeys, when we encounter a translinguistic object, a kind of cognitive dissonance is set up in our hindbrain. We try to pour language over it and it sheds it like water off a duck's back. We try again and fail again, and this cognitive dissonance, this "wow" or "flutter" that is building off this object causes wonder, astonishment and awe at the brink of terror
The other part of this is due to the intense emotions produced by the event itself...it's obvious that this was not a mere intoxication, that there is something intrinsically real about this event.

If your able to grasp the implications of the experience, it's only natural that it would inspire this type of response...

-eg

DmnStr8
#5 Posted : 8/10/2016 2:33:04 AM

Come what may

For me, the DMT experience transformed from a psychedelic to a practice of dying. Allowing myself to practice letting go of my attachments, my thoughts, and my life. The terrifying fear that accompanies some DMT experiences has shown me how my thoughts affect not only my life but also my death. I have learned to recognize what fear brings forth. It brings forth my salvation. Shaking me out of sleep and saying "LOOK NOW AND SEE!". See what you have created with your thoughts. See what suffering you cause yourself. Feel this fear and learn.

Practice dying. Practice wondering and imagining not having your life anymore. Imagine going to sleep and never waking. What does it bring up inside your mind? What fears come to the surface? Those fears are your attachments. You cannot bring them with you. You will surrender all when you die as you surrender nearly all on some DMT journeys. With DMT you can come back and enjoy the splendor of your life. You can then begin to practice letting go of your attachments in this life and die in peace when the time comes.
"In the universe there is an immeasurable, indescribable force which shamans call intent, and absolutely everything that exists in the entire cosmos is attached to intent by a connecting link." ~Carlos Castaneda

entheogenic-gnosis
#6 Posted : 8/10/2016 2:32:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Most substances provide an illusion, a false sense of well-being, numbness, or euphoria, most substances are used to escape, and are often used to escape the exact issues one is forced to confront while in a DMT flash...

I don't understand frequent DMT use, again, for as much as I am fascinated by this compound, and for as much of my life that I dedicate to it, it's always incredibly hard to bring myself to use it...I really have to prepare myself.

I used to brakedown in tears, I've learned to control that

Many will try to make the argument that entheogens are the "easy" path to spirituality, that it's an escape...

it's not an escape, during these experiences your forced to confront the issues which most people try to avoid through out the entirety of their life, not taking entheogens seems like an escape from having to confront these issues...and believe me, it's not easy, the Entheogenic path is actually one of the most difficult (and most rewarding) paths which one can embark on...

Quote:
nobody ever went into an Ashram with their knees knocking in fear
over the tremendous dimension they knew they were about to enter through
meditation.” -terence mckenna

--

Once you find psychedelics you’re not looking for the accelerator anymore. You’re looking for the brakes on your spiritual vehicle. You have suddenly found the means to achieve the stated goal, which is union with the divine, or oneness, or something like that." -terence mckenba

Quote:
Well, people often – yes, wondered. Often people wonder. You get into a place where it’s so unfamiliar that the question comes up: Have I done it this time? You know, Am I dying? or Am I in danger? The answer is, the odds are incredible against you being seriously in danger. People don’t die from psychedelics unless they have heart conditions or some incredibly rare medical condition. The problem is that the ego feels threatened by the boundary dissolution, and its ace is your self-identification with it. And it can actually say to you, You are dying, and here’s the evidence; and you have to say,. It’s unlikely. – and sing your way through it. But this is really tough. I mean, the Buddhists talk about slaying the ego – this is slaying the ego for real. You must slay it, otherwise it will spread panic into your whole psychological system, will give way to panic and hysteria.

I don't know what it is, I can't get rolling on this topic...

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#7 Posted : 8/29/2016 4:52:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So, I finally came around to transcribing a portion of a terence mckenna lecture which I would often find my self referencing, but which I could never find transcribed, I figured I would post the transcription here for, until I find the threads which it applied to.

Quote:
this situation in the middle east, much could be said about it, What's happening is that 8% of the world's people use 35% of the world's petroleum, and are ready to blow everybody off the map to keep it that way. This is nothing more than a manifestation of junkie psychology on a mass scale. We're addicted, they got it, we're happy to pay for it, but if they won't sell it we'll break into their house and take it, because by god it will go into our right arm. that's the plan. -t. Mckenna

This portion (above) is fairly easy to find, however the following pieces I have yet to find transcribed, so I did it myself:

Quote:
it's a world where leather habitual activities can never the less not be controlled, and it's a perfect example of culture with "lock-jaw" of the mind, I mean we are just going to March off the edge of a cliff apparently. Three days ago in the new York Times in the new York Times the American estimates of casualties in the first 30 days of successfully invading Kuwait and Baghdad were published 50,000 American casualties in the first 30 days, if we win, this is the number of people that died in the Viet nam war over the whole stretch of the war, well, so then if you win, means, you know, standing in the middle of a sea of fire with five hundred fifty million enraged Arabs looking to cut you down. It's a complete misunderstanding, and I mention it not only because it looms large in our future, , I mean I think, you know, we are re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic sitting here talking about this, it's basically June of 1939 and everyone is planning their summer vacation in the Catskills. It's also an example of how these institutions can't save them selves, I mean everybody knew in 1973 that this moment would come, that policies needed to be put in place, a dollar a barrel tax on oil, some minor minor thing, but, no, it's just a mindset that is self-destructive, and you know, the fundamentalists are in anticipation of the end of the world and so forth and so on, and there isn't going to be any end of the world, there's no easy way out like that, and you're hearing this from the prophet of 2012, all of these fantasies, all of these infantile fantasies will be acted out, so, you know, if you want your mini-apocalypse you can have it, and we can bomb Baghdad and gas tel-Aviv, and fire the oil sands, and kill millions of people on both sides, and you know what, it ain't gonna bring the guy from Galilee, and it ain't going to bring friendly flying saucers from arturis, all its going to bring is a deeper, bigger mess for the human race to try and clean up, anybody who thinks, you know, that you can save the world by setting it on fire is going to be sadly disappointed. -terence mckenna

So, when combined my transcription with the easily found section which proceeded it we get:

Quote:
this situation in the middle east, much could be said about it, What's happening is that 8% of the world's people use 35% of the world's petroleum, and are ready to blow everybody off the map to keep it that way. This is nothing more than a manifestation of junkie psychology on a mass scale. We're addicted, they got it, we're happy to pay for it, but if they won't sell it we'll break into their house and take it, because by god it will go into our right arm. that's the plan.

it's a world where leather habitual activities can never the less not be controlled, and it's a perfect example of culture with "lock-jaw" of the mind, I mean we are just going to March off the edge of a cliff apparently. Three days ago in the new York Times in the new York Times the American estimates of casualties in the first 30 days of successfully invading Kuwait and Baghdad were published 50,000 American casualties in the first 30 days, if we win, this is the number of people that died in the Viet nam war over the whole stretch of the war, well, so then if you win, means, you know, standing in the middle of a sea of fire with five hundred fifty million enraged Arabs looking to cut you down. It's a complete misunderstanding, and I mention it not only because it looms large in our future, , I mean I think, you know, we are re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic sitting here talking about this, it's basically June of 1939 and everyone is planning their summer vacation in the Catskills. It's also an example of how these institutions can't save them selves, I mean everybody knew in 1973 that this moment would come, that policies needed to be put in place, a dollar a barrel tax on oil, some minor minor thing, but, no, it's just a mindset that is self-destructive, and you know, the fundamentalists are in anticipation of the end of the world and so forth and so on, and there isn't going to be any end of the world, there's no easy way out like that, and you're hearing this from the prophet of 2012, all of these fantasies, all of these infantile fantasies will be acted out, so, you know, if you want your mini-apocalypse you can have it, and we can bomb Baghdad and gas tel-Aviv, and fire the oil sands, and kill millions of people on both sides, and you know what, it ain't gonna bring the guy from Galilee, and it ain't going to bring friendly flying saucers from arturis, all its going to bring is a deeper, bigger mess for the human race to try and clean up, anybody who thinks, you know, that you can save the world by setting it on fire is going to be sadly disappointed.
-terence mckenna; history ends in green, tape 6

-eg

Another
#8 Posted : 9/7/2016 5:28:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

entheogenic-gnosis wrote:
Most substances provide an illusion, a false sense of well-being, numbness, or euphoria, most substances are used to escape, and are often used to escape the exact issues one is forced to confront while in a DMT flash...

I don't understand frequent DMT use, again, for as much as I am fascinated by this compound, and for as much of my life that I dedicate to it, it's always incredibly hard to bring myself to use it...I really have to prepare myself.

Many will try to make the argument that entheogens are the "easy" path to spirituality, that it's an escape...

it's not an escape, during these experiences your forced to confront the issues which most people try to avoid through out the entirety of their life, not taking entheogens seems like an escape from having to confront these issues...and believe me, it's not easy, the Entheogenic path is actually one of the most difficult (and most rewarding) paths which one can embark on...

Quote:

--

Once you find psychedelics you’re not looking for the accelerator anymore. You’re looking for the brakes on your spiritual vehicle. You have suddenly found the means to achieve the stated goal, which is union with the divine, or oneness, or something like that." -terence mckenba

Quote:
Well, people often – yes, wondered. Often people wonder. You get into a place where it’s so unfamiliar that the question comes up: Have I done it this time? You know, Am I dying? or Am I in danger? The answer is, the odds are incredible against you being seriously in danger. People don’t die from psychedelics unless they have heart conditions or some incredibly rare medical condition. The problem is that the ego feels threatened by the boundary dissolution, and its ace is your self-identification with it. And it can actually say to you, You are dying, and here’s the evidence; and you have to say,. It’s unlikely. – and sing your way through it. But this is really tough. I mean, the Buddhists talk about slaying the ego – this is slaying the ego for real. You must slay it, otherwise it will spread panic into your whole psychological system, will give way to panic and hysteria.

-eg

This this this!
I dont know if its in the same talk, but Terence also says something like; If you are not terrifyed and shaken to your core by the magnitude of the experience, then you are a fool or have taken a substance that prevents you from feeling feeling fear.

I think it is during the same talk that he also suggests that an experience that doesn't move your heart can't be real.
To cry and to laugh, to beeing scared shitless, that is real!

entheogenic-gnosis
#9 Posted : 9/8/2016 1:27:21 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Another wrote:

Quote:

--

Quote:

-eg

This this this!
I dont know if its in the same talk, but Terence also says something like; If you are not terrifyed and shaken to your core by the magnitude of the experience, then you are a fool or have taken a substance that prevents you from feeling feeling fear.

I think it is during the same talk that he also suggests that an experience that doesn't move your heart can't be real.

Quote:
One of the interesting characteristics of DMT is that it sometimes inspires fear - this marks the experience as existentially authentic. One of the interesting approaches to evaluating such a compound is to see how eager people are to do it a second time. A touch of terror gives the stamp of validity to the experience because it means, "This is real." We are in the balance. We read the literature, we know the maximum doses, the LD-50, and so on. But nevertheless, so great is one's faith in the mind that when one is out in it one comes to feel that the rules of pharmacology do not really apply and that control of existence on that plane is really a matter of focus of will and good luck.

I'm not saying that there's something intrinsically good about terror. I'm saying that, granted the situation, if one is not terrified then one must be somewhat out of contact with the full dynamics of what is happening. To not be terrified means either that one is a fool or that one has taken a compound that paralyzes the ability to be terrified. I have nothing against hedonism, and I certainly bring something out of it. But the experience must move one's heart, and it will not move the heart unless it deals with the issues of life and death. If it deals with life and death it will move one to fear, it will move one to tears, it will move one to laughter. These places are profoundly strange and alien. -terence mckenna

This was in my initial post but I will repost it because I think it was what you were speaking about.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#10 Posted : 9/8/2016 1:32:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I really did not do a good job on this...

Quote:
it's a world where leather habitual activities can never the less not be controlled, and it's a perfect example of culture with "lock-jaw" of the mind, I mean we are just going to March off the edge of a cliff apparently. Three days ago in the new York Times in the new York Times the American estimates of casualties in the first 30 days of successfully invading Kuwait and Baghdad were published 50,000 American casualties in the first 30 days, if we win, this is the number of people that died in the Viet nam war over the whole stretch of the war, well, so then if you win, means, you know, standing in the middle of a sea of fire with five hundred fifty million enraged Arabs looking to cut you down. It's a complete misunderstanding, and I mention it not only because it looms large in our future, , I mean I think, you know, we are re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic sitting here talking about this, it's basically June of 1939 and everyone is planning their summer vacation in the Catskills. It's also an example of how these institutions can't save them selves, I mean everybody knew in 1973 that this moment would come, that policies needed to be put in place, a dollar a barrel tax on oil, some minor minor thing, but, no, it's just a mindset that is self-destructive, and you know, the fundamentalists are in anticipation of the end of the world and so forth and so on, and there isn't going to be any end of the world, there's no easy way out like that, and you're hearing this from the prophet of 2012, all of these fantasies, all of these infantile fantasies will be acted out, so, you know, if you want your mini-apocalypse you can have it, and we can bomb Baghdad and gas tel-Aviv, and fire the oil sands, and kill millions of people on both sides, and you know what, it ain't gonna bring the guy from Galilee, and it ain't going to bring friendly flying saucers from arturis, all its going to bring is a deeper, bigger mess for the human race to try and clean up, anybody who thinks, you know, that you can save the world by setting it on fire is going to be sadly disappointed.

Here's the corrected version:
Quote:
it's a world where lethal habitual activities can never the less not be controlled, and it's a perfect example of culture with "lock-jaw" of the mind, I mean we are just going to March off the edge of a cliff apparently. Three days ago in the new York Times the American estimates of casualties in the first 30 days of successfully invading Kuwait and Baghdad were published, 50,000 American casualties in the first 30 days, IF we win, this is the number of people that died in the Viet nam war over the whole stretch of the war, well, so then if you win, means, you know, standing in the middle of a sea of fire with five hundred fifty million enraged Arabs looking to cut you down. It's a complete misunderstanding, and I mention it not only because it looms large in our future, I mean, I think, you know, we are re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic sitting here talking about this, it's basically June of 1939 and everyone is planning their summer vacation in the Catskills.
It's also an example of how these institutions can't save them selves, I mean everybody knew in 1973 that this moment would come, that policies needed to be put in place, a dollar a barrel tax on oil, some minor minor thing, but, no, it's just a mindset that is self-destructive, and you know, the fundamentalists are in anticipation of the end of the world and so forth and so on, and there isn't going to be any end of the world, there's no easy way out like that, and you're hearing this from the prophet of 2012, all of these fantasies, all of these infantile fantasies will be acted out, so, you know, if you want your mini-apocalypse you can have it, and we can bomb Baghdad and gas tel-Aviv, and fire the oil sands, and kill millions of people on both sides, and you know what, it ain't gonna bring the guy from Galilee, and it ain't going to bring friendly flying saucers from arturis, all its going to bring is a deeper, bigger mess for the human race to try and clean up, anybody who thinks, you know, that you can save the world by setting it on fire is going to be sadly disappointed.

-eg

NotTwo
#11 Posted : 9/8/2016 2:11:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I love this conversation Smile

So much of what taking dmt is about is the fear element, coming face to face with losing everything that you have identified previously as being "you". After taking my first breakthrough dose I spent months trying to overcome my terror to go there again.

But another aspect is the understanding of how to completely surrender to the experience and find what non duality really means - I've spent eternity in bliss when this has happened. I've also said "yeah, sure, I know how this works" and then had the horror show to end all horror shows. The latter have also been followed by days of pure insight and ability to get rid of negative habits.

In all of reality there are not two. There is just the one thing. And I am that.

Another
#12 Posted : 9/8/2016 4:27:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another wrote:

Quote:

--

Quote:

-eg

This this this!

Quote:

I'm not saying that there's something intrinsically good about terror. I'm saying that, granted the situation, if one is not terrified then one must be somewhat out of contact with the full dynamics of what is happening. To not be terrified means either that one is a fool or that one has taken a compound that paralyzes the ability to be terrified. I have nothing against hedonism, and I certainly bring something out of it. But the experience must move one's heart, and it will not move the heart unless it deals with the issues of life and death. If it deals with life and death it will move one to fear, it will move one to tears, it will move one to laughter. These places are profoundly strange and alien. -terence mckenna

This was in my initial post but I will repost it because I think it was what you were speaking about.

-eg

That was it, I should have read your initial post though.
Also liked the "leather habitual activities" S&M activities? Twisted Evil

But seriously, this is exactly why I don't see DMT as a drug.
Drugs don't provide you with a feeling of the experience beeing 100% real, at least in my experience they don't.

Another
#13 Posted : 9/8/2016 4:38:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Regarding the assumption out there, that doing hallucinogens is taking the easy way to enlightenment.
With the realisations and insights that I've gained from using hallucinogens, comes a great responsibility.

It doesn't really matter how one becomes enlightened.
Once enlightened, one cannot get away with doing wrong any longer.
As a child or as someone who is not aware of the real consequences his or her actions have, cannot be held responsible for them. Offcourse they can in one way and should be, but on the same time they cannot.
Do you see what I mean dispite my poor explanation in a language that isn't my native one?

entheogenic-gnosis
#14 Posted : 1/13/2017 2:39:09 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
There are a lot of wannabe experts running around who didn't take enough, because you have to take a lot -- not a LOT -- but you have to take a frightening amount to get into what it's really about. People who have taken, you know, 50 gamma of LSD or 100 gamma of LSD or two grams of mushrooms or something like that, they are not qualified to hold forth on the nature of the psychedelic experience, because those doses don't deliver it to you. What they deliver is the periphery of the psychedelic experience: accelerated thought processes, a kind of depth and richness to cognition that is unfamiliar, an ability to analyze situations from unusual perspectives, or to reach unexpected conclusions. -terence McKenna

Just needed a good place to store this quote...

-eg

JustAnotherHuman
#15 Posted : 1/13/2017 7:31:15 PM

You create your own reality

Just read through this thread, really deep stuff I must say.

I personally think that the entheogenic path is a completely valid path to spirituality, just as valid as meditation, yoga, Tantra and all the other well-accepted spiritual practices.

I think when it comes to spirituality, it's less about the specific practice you employ and moar about how you use the spiritual practice to improve your own life and the lives of others.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.Big grin
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

entheogenic-gnosis
#16 Posted : 1/14/2017 3:30:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

JustAnotherHuman wrote:
Just read through this thread, really deep stuff I must say.

I personally think that the entheogenic path is a completely valid path to spirituality, just as valid as meditation, yoga, Tantra and all the other well-accepted spiritual practices.

I think when it comes to spirituality, it's less about the specific practice you employ and moar about how you use the spiritual practice to improve your own life and the lives of others.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.Big grin

(I apologize for the disorganized nature of this post, I have not smoked my morning cannabis yet, it's hard to keep my mind focused on a single topic, so I end up jumping around quite a bit in terms of content...)

That's fairly close to how I see these things...

Though, I feel the Entheogenic path is the most valid.

It's the only spirituality that is not based on dogma, political hierarchies, books and churches, and so on...

... these traditions talk about spirituality, while entheogen users actually experience spirituality first hand. No books, no priests, no ritual, just you, an entheogen, and an experience, the entheogen is the priest and teacher, the entheogen is the book, the entheogen is the church...

Those who claim it's "escaspist" or "hedonistic" are kidding themselves, this is the only path where you forced to confront and face spirituality at its core, whether you like it or not...

terence McKenna said "We can tell shit from shinola, it's just that we don't always prefer shinola"

...people know that the Entheogenic experience provides true spirituality, yet they prefer yoga, or meditation, or something softer, something which speaks about itself like it is the Entheogenic experience, but never presents any risks of actually causing life transforming change...

Quote:
I love to dig at the 'Yogans' by saying “nobody ever went into an Ashram with their knees knocking in fear over the tremendous dimension they knew they were about to enter through meditation.” -terence McKenna

Experience is the source of true spiritual practice...and experience is the core of Entheogenic shamanism...

It can happen by many means, though I feel entheogens should be the preferred route, they are the most effective, the most reliable, and the safest means of inducing these experiences.

Mircea Eliade claimed that Entheogenic shamanism was in a state of decay, when in fact I see, and so did R.E. Schultes, ordeal shamanism as being in a state of decay, they must resort to sweat-lodges, fasting, poison, stranding oneself in nature, and so on, to achieve what the Entheogenic shaman can safely and more powerfully and reliably acheive through Entheogenic plants.

Quote:
I just don’t resonate with believers in anything. I get insulting to Buddhists for God’s sake. It’s just something about their smugness and their whole bit, I just want to squash it. So you can imagine how I behave in the presence of scientologists and the rest of it. Belief is again, it’s a form of infantilism. There are no grounds for believing anything.

-terence McKenna

And belief is not needed here, all you need to do is experience, observe and interpret.

Quote:
At death, the thing that casts the shadow withdraws, and metabolism ceases. Material form breaks down; it ceases to be a dissipative structure in a very localized area, sustained against entropy by cycling material in, extracting energy, and expelling waste. But the form that ordered it is not affected. These declarative statements are made from the point of view of the shamanic tradition, which touches all higher religions. Both the psychedelic dream state and the waking psychedelic state acquire great import because they reveal to life a task: to become familiar with this dimension that is causing being, in order to be familiar with it at the moment of passing from life.

The metaphor of a vehicle--an after-death vehicle, an astral body--is used by several traditions. Shamanism and certain yogas, including Taoist yoga, claim very clearly that the purpose of life is to familiarize oneself with this after-death body so that the act of dying will not create confusion in the psyche. One will recognize what is happening. One will know what to do and one will make a clean break. Yet there does seem to be the possibility of a problem in dying. It is not the case that one is condemned to eternal life. One can muff it through ignorance.

Apparently at the moment of death there is a kind of separation, like birth--the metaphor is trivial, but perfect. There is a possibility of damage or of incorrect activity. The English poet-mystic William Blake said that as one starts into the spiral there is the possibility of falling from the golden track into eternal death. Yet it is only a crisis of a moment--a crisis of passage--and the whole purpose of shamanism and of life correctly lived is to strengthen the soul and to strengthen the ego's relationship to the soul so that this passage can be cleanly made. This is the traditional position...

What psychedelics encourage, and where I hope attention will focus once hallucinogens are culturally integrated to the point where large groups of people can plan research programs without fear of persecution, is the modeling of the after-death state. Psychedelics may do more than model this state; they may reveal the nature of it. Psychedelics will show us that the modalities of appearance and understanding can be shifted so that we can know mind within the context of the One Mind. The One Mind contains all experiences of the Other. There is no dichotomy between the Newtonian universe, deployed throughout light-years of three-dimensional space, and the interior mental universe. They are adumbrations of the same thing.

We perceive them as unresolvable dualisms because of the low quality of the code we customarily use. The language we use to discuss this problem has built-in dualisms. This is a problem of language. All codes have relative code qualities, except the Logos. The Logos is perfect and, therefore, partakes of no quality other than itself. I am here using the word Logos in the sense in which Philo Judaeus uses it--that of the Divine Reason that embraces the archetypal complex of Platonic ideas that serve as the models of creation. As long as one maps with something other than the Logos, there will be problems of code quality. The dualism built into our language makes the death of the species and the death of the individual appear to be opposed things.-terence McKenna

Quote:
As the esoteric traditions say, life is an opportunity to prepare for death

ND: You have said that an important part of the mystical quest is to face up to death and recognize it as a rhythm of life. Would you like to enlarge on your view on the implications of the dying process?

TM: I take seriously the notion that these psychedelic states are an anticipation of the dying process-or, as the Tibetans refer to it, the Bardo level beyond physical death. It seems likely that our physical lives are a type of launching pad for the soul. As the esoteric traditions say, life is an opportunity to prepare for death, and we should learn to recognize the signposts along the way, so that when death comes, we can make the transition smoothly. I think the psychedelics show you the transcendental nature of reality. It would be hard to die gracefully as an atheist or existentialist. Why should you? Why not rage against the dying of the light? But if in fact this is not the dying of the light but the Dawning of the Great Light, then one should certainly not rage against that. There's a tendency in the New Age to deny death. We have people pursuing physical immortality and freezing their heads until the fifth millennium, when they can be thawed out. All of this indicates a lack of balance or equilibrium. The Tao flows through the realms of life and nonlife with equal ease. -terence McKenna

It's been a long time since I've read through this thread, and I hope I'm not just repeating myself...or just re-quoting terence.

( I don't mean to.quote terence so much, and most psychedelic enthusiasts will be able to tell you similar things, I just feel McKenna says it best, here is an example:
Quote:
The world of DMT is incredibly vast. What DMT opens in us is so profound that it is impossible to truly express. I have been making, using, and initiating people into DMT use, for around 40 years. I was the one who first discovered that the free-base could be smoked. It has never ceased to amaze me, nor have I ever felt that one could fairly arrive at any hard and fast conclusions about what was happening during a DMT trip -Nick sand

And:

Quote:
Any attempts to begin to describe the DMT experience is fraught with the immediate dangers of either over-simplification or a swift flight into metaphor since it is almost impossible to describe with words alone the fantastic swirling multi-faceted gateway visions that are only the beginning of the DMT experience. Intrepid travelers report that past these jeweled-gates can be found mechanical-Elves, Aliens, Egyptian Gods, temples, pyramids, and palaces of pulsating light, and some would say, the entire possible population of the Collective Unconsciousness. A magical place where the totality of phenomenal existence can be experienced in an often terrifying transpersonal flash.

* No two DMT experiences are alike, and no two people should expect any similarity in their individual experiences. (Unless, in one of the many mysteries of the DMT zone, two experiences are indeed shared as One!) It is commonly said that DMT causes far many more questions than it does answers; for it is a flowerbed for all the mystery in the Universe. Mystery is an increasingly difficult thing to find in our Fact-or-Fiction society but the on-going mapping of this tryptamine accessed Inter-Zone may ultimately lead to the birth of powerful new spiritual metaphors for Mankind, and a new Mythology great enough to both resonate within us and encompass the incredible Universe we all occupy. So in this section, you will find collated here a number of DMT accounts as recounted by different psychonauts over the last 40 years, each one mapping out a small piece of this mysterious 8th continent of the Mind.
http://www.dmtsite.com/d...tions_of_experience.html

Both saying the same thing, right? But I like McKenna's version.

Ok I'm wandering off topic...

-eg

woody
#17 Posted : 1/14/2017 4:02:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It's the only spirituality that is not based on dogma, political hierarchies, books and churches, and so on...

... these traditions talk about spirituality, while entheogen users actually experience spirituality first hand. No books, no priests, no ritual, just you, an entheogen, and an experience, the entheogen is the priest and teacher, the entheogen is the book, the entheogen is the church...

Those who claim it's "escaspist" or "hedonistic" are kidding themselves, this is the only path where you forced to confront and face spirituality at its core, whether you like it or not...

terence McKenna said "We can tell shit from shinola, it's just that we don't always prefer shinola"

...people know that the Entheogenic experience provides true spirituality, yet they prefer yoga, or meditation, or something softer, something which speaks about itself like it is the Entheogenic experience, but never presents any risks of actually causing life transforming change...

It can happen by many means, though I feel entheogens should be the preferred route, they are the most effective, the most reliable, and the safest means of inducing these experiences.

-eg

I don't think there can be a "most valid" path. There are just paths, and you take your choice which one to follow. Some people, probably many, aren't suited to something as mind blowing as the entheogenic experience so perhaps a softer experience which can cause gradual change for a person is a better choice of path for them. There's no rush.

JustAnotherHuman
#18 Posted : 1/14/2017 4:53:00 PM

You create your own reality

woody wrote:

-eg

I don't think there can be a "most valid" path. There are just paths, and you take your choice which one to follow. Some people, probably many, aren't suited to something as mind blowing as the entheogenic experience so perhaps a softer experience which can cause gradual change for a person is a better choice of path for them. There's no rush.

I totally agree with you on this one woody! I think that when it comes to spirituality, and pursuing the spiritual path, each individual must beat their own track, so to speak. Different modalities will appeal to different people, and I think that trying to compare them to each other is unnecessary.

Like I said in my earlier post, it's less about the specific practice and moar about how you approach spirituality. Do you perform your specific practices in a mindful and deliberate way, always looking to use the practices to improve your life and the lives of others.
JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

entheogenic-gnosis
#19 Posted : 2/10/2017 3:04:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

woody wrote:

-eg

While I agree with you on most levels here, I still disagree in a few certain regards:

I feel that first hand experience presents a more valid path than dogma, religious hierarchy and tradition, churches, books, etc...

having a first Hand experience is more valuable than reading a million books or sitting through a million sermons

I feel the most valid means of spiritual awakening is through genuine first hand spiritual experiences, and Entheogenic spirituality provides these experiences reliably and efficiently, and while there may be other means of attaining these first hand experiences, I feel entheogens are the most effective.

Quote:
You have to somehow give people an experience--an experience that is not somebody else's experience--their experience, that radically recrystallizes their understanding of the world. -terence McKenna

I should have said first hand spiritual experience is the most valid path, and entheogens are the most efficient means of attaining such experiences...

Though this is just my opinion..

-eg

syberdelic
#20 Posted : 2/10/2017 6:57:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My contribution to this conversation would just be to be careful not to attach too much meaning or significance to something periphery or attach the wrong meaning to something. These "visions" are very subjective and personal but are often tricky to understand.
One thing TM says is, "Do not give way to astonishment". There is a certain profundity that comes along with any significant trip. This profundity can easily sway us into thinking things are more important than reality dictates.

I feel like there is a lot of head way being made scientifically in the realm of entheogens at the moment, and as a member of a community of psychonauts I feel compelled to make the argument towards careful analysis and not jumping to conclusions. I'm not calling anyone out here. I'm just urging people to approach the subject rationally. I would say it's better to have a confusing trip and not pull anything from it rather than attaching meaning to things that are misunderstood.

This brings me to the idea of entheogens being more or less valuable than traditional spiritual practices like say, meditating. I would argue that standing alone, they are neither more or less valuable. They definitely have the potential of being more valuable, but in the same brush stroke can be less valuable when the experience is misinterpreted. This action has the potential of voiding any and all value towards spirituality.

The slow and steady approach towards spirituality is less likely to result in such errors, but has it's own pitfalls in that so much is invested in the practice that there is a tendency to find meaning to bring legitimacy to the heavy investment. In the end, I feel that entheogens are a great tool for pursuing and understanding spirituality but should not be viewed as a shortcut or easy path. It is a way of saving a lot of time and a manner of reaching plateaus that would otherwise be out of reach for someone who is not on the path of devoting their entire life to a spiritual practice. The downside is that it must be approached carefully and rigorously in order to truly be beneficial.

12NEXT