We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Couple questions regarding HEPA filters Options

JohnHuman
#1 Posted : 5/6/2016 12:34:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello, DMT-Nexus

Its been quite awhile since I been here and its been even longer since I made a post. I am currently, cooking up some jars and been doing some research on keeping it a bit cleaner. I had a still-air box and my inoc procedures are damn near perfect. I thought, since I want to cut down on contams during the Incubation time and growing time. That I would use a HEPA filter (99.97% rating) to cut down any problems. I was planning on placing all my jars on a rack with the hepa filter blowing underneath it. I been running it in the room I plan on keeping them for over 72 hours. Just curious if anyone else has done something similar or can lead me to the right place to research some more on my own.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

#2 Posted : 8/22/2016 10:51:37 AM

Psilosopher

What you're looking for is how to construct your own laminar flow hood.
One of those can be bought for big bucks, but can be constructed yourself.
This is the best guide I've found on the specifics:
http://www.fungifun.org/English/Flowhood

You want to run some calculations so the blower you are matching up to your HEPA filter produces laminar flow (100 feet airflow per minute). You also need a prefilter (a furnace filter is commonly used) to protect your sensitive HEPA filter from larger particles, and will need to take the resistance of that filter into account as well.

I've looked into this myself, but I don't know anything about electricity or blowers, so I'm holding off for now. I might just shell out the money for a prebuilt one somewhere down the line, though it doesn't seem that hard to make one.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus