We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
colonization stalling b/c wetness, g2g transfer? Options

FiniteFox
#1 Posted : 5/20/2016 6:42:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Here goes. I've failed a couple of times on my grows, learning a lot each time. Right now, I'm doing two more pp5 sort of Annie style grows. One brown rice(Colombian rusts spore), one classic brf/verm(matchapek). The brown rice turned out too hydrated I think, and I've seen this before in my previous rye berry grow. Too much water and then myc piss, then stall.

Could I do a grain to grain transfer on the Columbian so that I get a chance to have dryer substrate and more successfully grow? Or should I just wait it out? We're 3 weeks into colonization (2 for the brf ones). Here are some pics, showing some containers with brown rice that have more/ less time to dry. All were done With the exact same procedure same still AirFlo box etc.

Thanks! I will share some dmt adventures soon too.
FiniteFox attached the following image(s):
IMG_20160520_111505.len.jpg (1,250kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
IMG_20160520_111613.len.jpg (1,761kb) downloaded 113 time(s).
IMG_20160520_111807.len.jpg (453kb) downloaded 112 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Chan
#2 Posted : 5/21/2016 4:03:50 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Maybe shake?

Works for me, when that happens. Seems pretty typical for MS inocs...and you'd probably have to do it to get a reliable spawn for G2G anyway, so...I say, bang hard!

[Others might vehemently disagree tho...]
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

infinitynlove
#3 Posted : 6/16/2016 1:28:22 AM

Mushroom Explorer

Hi there

It looks like you have what is called, wet spot, its a bacteria infection caused by to much water, when the grains get a milky look to them with milky fluid in between the grains, its pretty much guaranteed to be wetspot.

the good news in cubensis mycelium can beat and eat wet spot infected grains, if they some how loose some water.

you could do a grain to grain, I would scrape the fresh mycelium from the top in a glove box with a fork and just use that in a new jar of rye grain, just avoiding getting any nasty bacterian in your new sub. Rye grain gives best results imho, I don't use anything else.

I dunno what tek you are doing .... I believe that the traditional PF Tek or rye grains > bulk sub is the most used method imho.

Ff you do a grain scrape to a new dryer sub strait you should be good.

hope this helps Smile

much love and warmest Regards.

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

anne halonium
#4 Posted : 6/16/2016 2:48:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bacteria.

dont shake PP5's
they are not solid
and the lids arent perfeect,
so they suck in micro air drafts when shaken...........
"loph girl incarnate / lab rabbits included"
kids dont try anything annie does at home ,
for for scientific / educational review only.

FiniteFox
#5 Posted : 6/18/2016 3:08:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the advice guys. I had like six of these, I shook one, scraped one, and left a couple of them be. Two of the six (the most colonized) came through and 1 of 2 is pinning now. The shaken one died, goopy and foul. The scraped one dried up to much and never colonized new substrated (brf + verm).

I've got a few other grows going, so even if none eventually survive, I'll still have some samples.

Again, thanks!

#6 Posted : 8/22/2016 10:43:44 AM

Psilosopher

Those definitely look bacterial, but I'm thinking you are indeed overhydrating your grains as you said.
I've had the exact same problems with slow colonization and stalling jars in the past where there was quite a lot of visible moisture in my jars.

My problems were:
1) Steam evaporation after boiling the rye berries didn't work properly for me. I loaded the jars with damp moist grain thinking this was ok. You definitely want your grain properly swollen and hydrated but DRY on the outside.
2) I didn't use a canning rack in my pressure cooker, and water splashed through the filters of my jars, messing up the water content causing them to come out of the PC wetter than they went in..

As long as you make sure your grain is properly hydrated on the inside yet dry on the outside everything should be a-ok Thumbs up
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus