We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using a Nespresso machine to extract alkaloids/brew aya Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 6/26/2016 6:14:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

+

?

I just came across this publication where researchers do small modifications to a Nespresso machine in order to extract contaminants from a soil sample. They modified the liquid container to make a larger volume one, and they used a mix of acetonitrile, which is flammable, and water... I'd imagine it would be unsafe to use pure flammable solvents. But using just water to do aya (or the first step of an a/b) with a nespresso machine seems quick/easy enough. Compatible refillable caps are available on the market, the authors even name some in the paper.

Considering each cup fits about 6gram, depending on what you extract you'd need to line up a few of them, and to do in bulk probably not viable.. but it only takes 10 seconds too, it seems like it might be worth a try, specially for stuff like rue and plants with high alkaloid content.

Here is a an article with a video from the researcher's work (sorry it's in spanish...)

Any thoughts?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Global
#2 Posted : 6/26/2016 6:27:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

No thoughts, other than it would be really cool, if this works well for aya.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Psilosopher?
#3 Posted : 6/27/2016 4:17:03 AM

Don't Panic

Is there a time setting on the machine for a longer brew? 10 seconds is awfully short, especially for extracts/aya.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

arcologist
#4 Posted : 6/27/2016 4:57:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My guess is that the raw material would have to be finely powdered for such a short extraction time.

endlessness
#5 Posted : 6/27/2016 3:23:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah it would be important to test the efficiency of powdered vs shredded for example. Its interesting to note that the water also comes pressurized so that would definitely increase efficiency, just like a pressure cooker does.

Also, if one run isnt enough, one could simply press the button again and repeat it, seems easy enough.

I dont even have a nespresso machine lol, but i just figured it could be something interesting to try for those that do Smile

(Hope i dont make your coffee taste of aya though lol)

ganesh
#6 Posted : 6/27/2016 4:19:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
I dont even have a nespresso machine lol, but i just figured it could be something interesting to try for those that do Smile

Yea, i certainly don't believe you were really trying to copy this guy:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/...nted-legal-highs-8047360

Laughing
More imaginative mutterings of nonsense from the old elephant!

HumbleTraveler
#7 Posted : 6/29/2016 3:39:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It would certainly have to be powedered for the same reason that coffee used for the espresso method is fine, because the extraction time is roughly 20 seconds (short amount of time)

Compare that to an immersion method like french press method where the coffee is immersed in water for 4 minutes, a very long extraction, and the grounds are very coarse.

Shorter extractions require greater surface area for the water to get what it needs from the coffee without over or under extracting, why you wouldnt use fine grind coffee for french press is youd have terribly over extracted coffee and espresso method coffee would taste barely like anything if you used a coarse grind like you would for french press.
"A troop of elves smashes down your front door and rotates and balances the wheels on the after death vehicle, present you with the bill and then depart. And it's completely paradigm shattering. I mean, ya know, union with the white light you could handle. An invasion of your apartment by jeweled self dribbling basketballs from hyperspace that are speaking in demonic Greek is NOT something that you anticipated and could handle!' -T.M.

The posts and stories by this member are simply for fictional entertainment purposes only and do not reflect any 'real life' occurrences.
Smile

Intezam
#8 Posted : 7/3/2016 3:00:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:

For sure it will work with one of these too. Maybe a bit moar cumbersome for the multiple caapi steams(unscrew, add vinegar water again...etc). An OwlMan gave we a link to an earlier thread called Espressohuasca... (our Taiwan acacia powder is very fine dust, so we haven't tried as it will surely clog the filter)

edit: we should try to cut out circular pieces of paper coffee filter, lay them on the filter holes and see how that works.....but we have to find a way first to make it stand on our trangia alcolol stove...

Studio1one
#9 Posted : 7/3/2016 9:55:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Surely it doesn't have to be a nespresso, all espresso machines work on the same concept. Temperature and pressure. The higher the pressure the more you extract from the coffee. I'm sure the same applies to aya.

I might try it with my Aeropress.
Quote:

Darkness cannot banish darkness, only light can do that

Hate cannot banish hate, only love can do that.

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 7/4/2016 2:50:40 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Studio1one wrote:
Surely it doesn't have to be a nespresso, all espresso machines work on the same concept. Temperature and pressure. The higher the pressure the more you extract from the coffee. I'm sure the same applies to aya.

I might try it with my Aeropress.

Aeropress works for lots of things, extremes of pH will not be good for the polycarbonate though. Seems fine with 80% alcohol occasionally, too.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

PH0Man
#11 Posted : 7/5/2016 10:09:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tried making "ayahuasca" with an aluminum coffee maker (see picture), and the brew it produced had no effect on me.

The powdered A. confusa used was plenty potent when brewed in the more traditional manner, so I'm guessing the lack of alkaloids in the brew was due to the extraction technique. It seems that time is the primary factor in alkaloid extraction, even above temperature (I'm thinking cold water extractions when I say this).

With this in mind, I wouldn't think the nesspresso technique will work too well either, though perhaps the pressure it produces will change everything.

Regards,

PH0Man
PH0Man attached the following image(s):
41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg (10kb) downloaded 173 time(s).

Intezam
#12 Posted : 7/6/2016 9:03:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PH0Man wrote:
Tried making "ayahuasca" with an aluminum coffee maker (see picture), and the brew it produced had no effect on me.

The powdered A. confusa used was plenty potent when brewed in the more traditional manner, so I'm guessing the lack of alkaloids in the brew was due to the extraction technique. It seems that time is the primary factor in alkaloid extraction, even above temperature (I'm thinking cold water extractions when I say this).

With this in mind, I wouldn't think the nesspresso technique will work too well either, though perhaps the pressure it produces will change everything.

Regards,

PH0Man

Did you put everything (caapi/rue/a.confusa) in one compartment or did you steam them one by one? How many runs? Did you add vinegar to the water?

PH0Man
#13 Posted : 7/6/2016 1:35:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Intezam wrote:

Did you put everything (caapi/rue/a.confusa) in one compartment or did you steam them one by one? How many runs? Did you add vinegar to the water?

I had done one run on the A. confusa alone (it's very time consuming to do two runs, as one would have to wait for the contraption to cool back down)

I didn't use vinegar, but as the alkaloids are already in soluble salt form in the plant I've never really understood the purpose of this (except to devolve the cell walls over extended periods of time)

Intezam
#14 Posted : 7/6/2016 3:25:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the informations PH0Man, one moar question: Did you take any maoi prior or did you sample the acaciapresso just on it's own? Thx

Eggplant
#15 Posted : 7/7/2016 1:35:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, I thought of this this morning when I was making my espresso. I have a regular De'Longhi 15Bar machine... like this https://images-na.ssl-im...81k59N1Ba9L._SL1500_.jpg

This kind doesn't have a set cycle, it just pulls espresso as long as you leave the switch on. I was thinking of putting the right ratio of ground rue and ACRB in the basket and adding a little lemon juice to the water tank, then just letting it run really long, like running a whole litter of water through and then reducing it on the stove.

My only hesitation to try it was wondering if the lemon would hurt the pump for coffee brewing in the future?

PH0Man
#16 Posted : 7/8/2016 1:29:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Intezam wrote:
Thanks for the informations PH0Man, one moar question: Did you take any maoi prior or did you sample the acaciapresso just on it's own? Thx

I had predosed with ground syrian rue, 5 grams or so, about 30min before drinking the brew. Acacia brew on its own doesn't do much, for me I really need the MAOI.

PH0Man
#17 Posted : 7/8/2016 1:32:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Eggplant wrote:
Wow, I thought of this this morning when I was making my espresso. I have a regular De'Longhi 15Bar machine... like this https://images-na.ssl-im...81k59N1Ba9L._SL1500_.jpg

This kind doesn't have a set cycle, it just pulls espresso as long as you leave the switch on. I was thinking of putting the right ratio of ground rue and ACRB in the basket and adding a little lemon juice to the water tank, then just letting it run really long, like running a whole litter of water through and then reducing it on the stove.

My only hesitation to try it was wondering if the lemon would hurt the pump for coffee brewing in the future?

That may work, the extended contact between the acidified water and ACRB could make the difference.

Personally, I wouldn't fear damaging the pump. The machine will happily pump any viscous liquid I think.

AcaciaConfusedYah
#18 Posted : 8/8/2016 4:59:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Quote:

That may work, the extended contact between the acidified water and ACRB could make the difference.

Personally, I wouldn't fear damaging the pump. The machine will happily pump any viscous liquid I think.

They actually use citric acid to clean certain coffee makers such as kuerigs. However, be careful using any acid on aluminum. Make sure the parts are all stainless steel or plastic if using an acid, and only use weak acids - such as citric/ ascorbic/ acetic (so on and so on) because it is a lot easier to regulate and not over acidify. You don't need a super low pH to get effective salting and extractions via acidified water. People often over do it on the acids.

Smile

Neat idea folks
Sometimes it's good for a change. Other times it isn't.