We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
casein tobacco pipes? Options

entheogenic-gnosis
#1 Posted : 2/18/2016 11:48:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm sure most of you remember making "plastic" (it's actually casein in this case, true plastic is polymer composed) from milk, from your middle school chemistry coarse, anyway this material can be useful, though I never thought of it as being suitable for something such as pipe making until briefly reviewing this article...

In the article below making tobacco pipes from casein is discussed.

Though it seems after the casein is derived from milk that it is soaked in formaldehyde...

so, if I took some milk, heated it, mixed the heated milk with acetic acid (vinegar), then filtered this through a strainer collecting the formed solids (casein), which were then soaked in formaldehyde and dried I would have a material suitable for building tobacco pipes?

The formaldehyde soak should make the casein resistant to high heat, though I'm uncertain if this new material is any stronger than the initial casein...

a fascinating and simply available material, I'm thinking I could make pipes, ashtrays, etc...Though this doesn't seem like a very good "long-term" material, it could be used to make wares for sell (I also make jewelry from ayahuasca vines and hemp cord, as well as t-shirts, tie-dyes, and I'm learning how to make dyes from my entheogens, a UV reactive dye from peganum harmala, purple dye from mimosa hostillis, etc...)

so if this casein-formaldehyde is a viable material for producing the type of wares which I support myself with, I think it would be worth looking into...

(Article)

Casein
Casein, in full casein-formaldehyde, consists as the name suggests of an important part of the milk protein. Casein can be extracted from skimmed milk with a specific enzyme. By exposing the kneadable doughy substance to the liquid formaldehyde for days or even weeks a new material emerges, which will not melt, even at high temperatures.

It is a so-called thermosetting synthetic material, like rubber (semi-synthetic). The patent for the production of this material dates from 1899 and belonged to the Germans Krische and Spitteler. They called the new material Galalith. Later it became known also as Erinoid, Ameroid and Kasolid. Casein can be coloured easily. A drawback of the material is its sensitiveness to liquid. Long-term exposure to liquid makes the material crack.

The pipe-making industry used the material widely till after the Second World War for the production of cigarette pipes (pipettes), as it could easily be pierced, turned or modeled. The long Charleston cigarette pipes of the 1920’s are made of casein.

http://rebornpipes.com/tag/casein/

-eg

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

entheogenic-gnosis
#2 Posted : 2/29/2016 2:37:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've been working with the casein, which is more than simple to produce, however it's really only suitable for a few tasks, not a long term material.

To produce casein all you need to do is heat up some milk, stir in some acetic acid (vinegar), and filter out the formed solids, which are then shaped and cured.

Now, if this material is soaked in formaldehyde, for three days to over a week, it becomes casein-formaldehyde, and attains new physical properties, heat resistance being the most notable.

I can pull some strings with a friend at the university to get everything I need set up so that I may produce and experiment with this material safely...however I may not want to go through all the trouble until I know more about the end result, I have other projects which also need lab time, and the casein-formaldehyde pipes prospect is very low priority

... I was curious as to whether the formaldehyde treatment adds any strength to the material, I'm assuming this is the case, however if all I'm doing is producing heat resistant casein, I may need to look into methods for strengthening the material, or I may just abandon the prospect.

-eg

entheogenic-gnosis
#3 Posted : 7/15/2016 5:41:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

An interesting bit of information regarding casein:

Quote:
the sulfuric acid hydrolysis of casein (25%, 80°c) gives rise to several carbolines, including Harman, harmalan, 3-carboxy-harmalan, and the corresponding tetrahydro derivative. (This same spectrum of products is obtained from the parallel hydrolysis of this dicarboxylic acid formed from tryptophan and pyruvic acid) -shulgin;TIHKAL carbolines: unsubstituted beta-Caroline appendix of TIHKAL

-eg

Ulim
#4 Posted : 8/1/2016 12:04:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I finally got promoted so I can post in this thread. Big grin

Casein on its own is way to weak and brittle but you can mix it to make it more durable.
Ofc you need some fiber to make it so that it doesnt break into pieces because of the deformation that are caused by drying it.
I need to experiment with it on my own but I think something like. 50% casein, 10% alum salts (KAl(SO4)2), 40% paper fibre would make a nice pipe. The alum salt should turn it into some kind of ceramic.
Because you can fireproof fibre with alum salts.
I actually got alum salts so I can try to make it tomorrow.

Another more complicated way to make it would be casein and calcium acetate.
Then bake it and turn the CaAc to CaO. Then treat it with water to turn the CaO into CaOH and then let it sit on the air for some time for the hydroxide to convert to carbonate.

entheogenic-gnosis
#5 Posted : 8/1/2016 7:35:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
I finally got promoted so I can post in this thread. Big grin

Casein on its own is way to weak and brittle but you can mix it to make it more durable.
Ofc you need some fiber to make it so that it doesnt break into pieces because of the deformation that are caused by drying it.
I need to experiment with it on my own but I think something like. 50% casein, 10% alum salts (KAl(SO4)2), 40% paper fibre would make a nice pipe. The alum salt should turn it into some kind of ceramic.
Because you can fireproof fibre with alum salts.
I actually got alum salts so I can try to make it tomorrow.

Another more complicated way to make it would be casein and calcium acetate.
Then bake it and turn the CaAc to CaO. Then treat it with water to turn the CaO into CaOH and then let it sit on the air for some time for the hydroxide to convert to carbonate.

Quote:
Now, if this material is soaked in formaldehyde, for three days to over a week, it becomes casein-formaldehyde, and attains new physical properties, heat resistance being the most notable. (From my previous post)

casein-formaldehyde appears to be durable on its own without fiber supports, though exposure to liquids will cause the material to crack. As far as casein pipe making goes, I feel casein-formaldehyde is the material to work with.

Though other experimentation is interesting, casein is extremely easy to obtain, and thus makes it optimal for independent experimentation

(From my previous post)
Quote:
full casein-formaldehyde, consists as the name suggests of an important part of the milk protein. Casein can be extracted from skimmed milk with a specific enzyme. By exposing the kneadable doughy substance to the liquid formaldehyde for days or even weeks a new material emerges, which will not melt, even at high temperatures.

It is a so-called thermosetting synthetic material, like rubber (semi-synthetic). The patent for the production of this material dates from 1899 and belonged to the Germans Krische and Spitteler. They called the new material Galalith. Later it became known also as Erinoid, Ameroid and Kasolid. Casein can be coloured easily. A drawback of the material is its sensitiveness to liquid. Long-term exposure to liquid makes the material crack.

The pipe-making industry used the material widely till after the Second World War for the production of cigarette pipes (pipettes), as it could easily be pierced, turned or modeled. The long Charleston cigarette pipes of the 1920’s are made of casein.

http://rebornpipes.com/tag/casein/

Casein-formaldehyde is a viable material for making pipes, and because the casein is so simple to obtain, and because casein-formaldehyde is effortless to produce, it seem like a venture worth looking into, perhaps I could produce disposable casein-formaldehyde pipes, which as the article states color very well, so they would be decorated, and then could be sold for $5 each online or to friends or where ever, this was the initial interest in this material...

Then while browsing through an appendix in the back of TIHKAL I find this piece of information:
Quote:
the sulfuric acid hydrolysis of casein (25%, 80°c) gives rise to several carbolines, including Harman, harmalan, 3-carboxy-harmalan, and the corresponding tetrahydro derivative. (This same spectrum of products is obtained from the parallel hydrolysis of this dicarboxylic acid formed from tryptophan and pyruvic acid) -shulgin;TIHKAL carbolines: unsubstituted beta-Carboline appendix of TIHKAL

carboline production was another worth while area of exploration related to casein, and this is where I left my research in this area, I became distracted with higher priority work and nearly forgot about my interest in casein.

-eg

PH0Man
#6 Posted : 8/1/2016 8:35:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Glyceraldehyde can be used in place of formaldehyde
https://www.acs.org/cont...lk-protein-and-clay.html

And this seems to indicate how to deal with the water-makes-the-stuff-brittle issue: http://www.google.ca/patents/US2316146

Ulim
#7 Posted : 8/1/2016 9:59:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

PH0Man wrote:
Glyceraldehyde can be used in place of formaldehyde
https://www.acs.org/cont...lk-protein-and-clay.html

And this seems to indicate how to deal with the water-makes-the-stuff-brittle issue: http://www.google.ca/patents/US2316146

Quote:
The solution is now ready for use and can be adapted to any of the usual manufacturing processes in which casein solutions are employed. If desired, other modifying agents, preservatives, fillers, pigments and the like may :be added, such as clay, bentonite, titanium dioxide, wood flour or the like in amounts, for example, of to 70%, based on solids content. The finished products thus obtained show improved resistance to the effects of low relative humidity, retaining a greater degree of flexibility than unmodified casein when exposed for extended periods of time.

Gonna try wood fibre first.

Quote:
If pigments are to be added, they may be of any suitable type which does not unduly and deleteriously affect the properties of the casein into which they are introduced. Common clays, bentonite, titanium dioxide, and such-like materials are suitable for the purpose. They, of course, may be employed over a very broad range extending from substantially zero up to 70 or 80 per cent,.dependent upon the use to be made of the casein.

We can make trippy pipes by making 2 batches and then twisting them together before forming a pipe Big grin
Something like the picture i attached.

The bigger problem is not that it is brittle but the fire resitance. I really think it needs over 50% non burnable material or a coating on the inside.

I dont like to waste milk but im going to try it.
Ulim attached the following image(s):
mixing_clay_5-762426.JPG (270kb) downloaded 27 time(s).

Ulim
#8 Posted : 8/6/2016 3:18:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok I did the following.
1l of milk heated to 50°C added around 100ml of vinegar (20% is mine)
Yield was around 300g slightly damp casein after vacuum filtering.
2 parts casein, 1 part KAl(SO4)2 (Potassium Alum), 1 part Ca(CH₃COO)β‚‚ (Calcium Acetate) mixed.
Had a ball around the diameter of 4cm. I added one paper tower ripped to small 1cm² pieces and kneaded it into the ball. Readded some water to make it better to form.
Formed a pipe by simply turning it into a sausage and then poking a bowl with my thumb into the top.
Poked a hole through the pipe to the mouth end.
Let it dry. To test the heat resitance I blasted a small sample of pure casein next to my mix.
I used a hand torch which goes up to 1500°C

The pure sample turned into a small black puddle.
My mix stayed in pipe form but got burned on the outside. But whats different that instead of falling apart the Calcium Acetate formed CaO and held the pipe. In the picture you can see that next to the black crust a white crust formed which kept the pipe from falling apart and burning further.

This mix might not be 100% heat and fire proof but the pipe does not fall apart and when you slowly heat the bowl without burning it like I did you could make a working pipe with it.

But the casein does make a horrible smelling smoke when heated to much so it might not be the best thing to do.

Maybe if the casein gets mixed 50/50 with plaster of paris one could make a better pipe.

Cant make another one because im on vacation soon.
Ulim attached the following image(s):
b2esplQ.jpg (1,184kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
jzT86yYg.jpg (145kb) downloaded 19 time(s).